Where and When is the '05 national ?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by amberfilter, Jan 8, 2005.

1. amberfilter

amberfilter Member

2. paix

paix Senior Member

we don't know where it's going to be until June prolbably, untill then it's just a very large general area and alot of rumors and speculation. And nationals are the same time every year, The "main" gathering is July 4th week, but seed camp starts earlier and clean up goes way later.

can we make this a sticky somehow, so that we don't have 20 more of these posts in the next month? We've already had one or two since last July, and it would be nice to keep them to a minimun. Like, one.

3. raven23

raven23 Member

Here's the latest rumour I heard, from a brother who talked to a brother who was at thanksgiving council. (Hey, that's a vaild line of communication there...) West Virginia was the main choice, despite the murders and bad cops at the 1980 gathering.

4. paix

paix Senior Member

there were murders at the 1980 gathering?

5. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Hey now can't blame a girl for being excited. I've been excited about Mid-Atlantic nationals since, oh, maybe October, after the good vibes from California starting wearing thin.
    Sister, you're close, you could plug into the process, in which case you'll still have to wait until April to go to the first scout council, and if you choose to hang back until the gathering coalesces, it'll be prolly mid-June when you see directions to it on the internet.
    Stickys are overrated, the real action's in the active threads. We could just keep bumping this one to catch other early excited ones. And bumping the one you started paix. :)
    Becca

6. paix

paix Senior Member

that might be a good idea Becca, stickies may tend to get overlooked!

and happy birthday to your little one today!

7. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

'80 was a bit before my time, but what I've heard is that 2 young women hitchiking to the Gathering, or from the Gathering, or to town and back, were, indeed, murdered. I've also heard that these murders occured in the DC area, and the bodies were dumped near the Gathering, but I believe folks telling this story may be confusing it with situation that happened in Florida 6 or 8 years ago, when a killer fled to the Ocala NF and was apprehended at the gathering there. The WV situation is complicated by the fact that the person convicted of these killings was recently, within the past 5 years, exonerated and released from prison.

NB to all Psycho Killers who may be drooling over the prospect of Cute Little Dready Mammas hitching through the Appalachains: I don't know what the Sistahood was like in 1980, but some of the 21st Century Cute Little Dready Mammas, whom I know personally, shoot back, and hit what they aim at.

8. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

9. amberfilter

amberfilter Member

well I will just keep bouncin it around then ;)

10. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

bump* aheeeeerree comesssss annnnnnnnotherone! aheeeeerrrre it comes agaiaaaaain.

Anybelly watch Monty Python?

11. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Don't worry. I've been hassled by wierd guys a lot, and I've found that if you come across like you are capable of killing them, you won't actually have to do it.

Nobody's planning on killing anyone, but a little hostility goes a long way.

I've been offered so many 'backrubs' at gatherings. Well, my back is above my waist. It seems like of all places, we should feel safe at a gathering, but sisters still have to be careful.

12. Exodus's Loki

Exodus's Loki Member

hey brothers and sisters, i'd be so fricken happy if the national for 05 was in wv, thats right next door, and me being on probation, i'd deffinately be able to run away for a week and disapear into a national gathering!!!

13. Exodus's Loki

Exodus's Loki Member

word from some scouts from Ocala is that the national might be in virginia or wv!

14. LSDawson

LSDawson Member

I vote for WV. I am in Virginia and Johnny Law would have a fucking field day if a gathering was here. Trust me. I am not too familiar with WV's "finest" but I can tell you from experience and living here that it would not be too wise. Shit, if you have been to any Phish shows (or Dead) at Hampton or in VA you know how they are.

However, if the scouts poke around VA and find a suitable area I'd be down. I have a house in the mountains on Wintergreen and the scenery is the bee's knees. Shit, I would love for a VA gathering to go off smoothly, for God knows VA needs some diversity.

Just my 2 cents!
    Peace and love friends

Walking in place,
    Dawson

15. Lotusfaery8

Lotusfaery8 Member

I've heard from many viable sources that 05 nationals are going to be in Vermont. I wouldn't base any plans on what I'm saying but that's what I've heard. Luvin' Yall.

16. hnugginbuggin

hnugginbuggin Member

i heard the same thing about vermont...or in that vincinity. :)

17. chaos

chaos Member

i vote for vermont... its closer for me (i think) and much less crazy as far as i can tell.
    and there was a cute grrl i met at the idaho gathering, who lived in vermont and i never got her number :(

18. i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420 Member

wouldn't vermont be "north atlantic" rather than "Mid atlantic"?

19. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Yes. Most definitely. Even PA's a stretch on that, depending on whose definition you use. I would say that the only way I'll gather there is if there are really no viable sites in VA and WV. I think there are, but I am not really scouting. "Map scouting" doesnt' really tell you how remote an area is, if it has good water, or if there are any sensitive areas. One has to go look, and if you're in a group of hippie-types in short order FS representatives will come talk to you. There's a scout council April I believe, and I hope some of you MidAtlantic hipforums folks can go. More exact stuff is posted here somewhere, I think.

20. acornweaver

acornweaver Member

My community hosted the Thanksgiving Rainbow council, and most of the talk was definitely WV or VA.