when TV cops had to use..

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by deleted, Apr 7, 2009.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

a Pay phone to call the desk..

I think thats so funny, "Wait we have to call, got a dime?"

LOL... but they could use the radio, but not if they wanted a detective at their desk..

2. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Yeah. Those were the days when journalists had to use pay phones to call in the story.

Remember near the end of Mel Brooks' Airplane! movie? After seeing the plane crash land, all those journalists go running at once to the line of pay phones to call in the story. The whole line of pay phone booths topple over. :)

Orison and Fred64 like this.
  3. Fred64

Fred64 Members

. I love that movie. It was so stupid it was hilarious

wilsjane likes this.
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

In London they had the police points to communicate. one every mile along the road. In the city they had the famous boxes used in startreck.
    Going back to when my grandfather was a policeman (he retired in 1913) all they had was a whistle. When he arrested a criminal, he had to walk him back to the police station (7 miles), so he would leave the guy handcuffed to a lamp post until the end of his shift, which could be up to 10 hours away. If the crime was quite minor, he would de-arrest him after his hours attached to the lamp post, sometimes during heavy rain or snow. Crime rates on his beat were fairly low.

23073817145_bbf60ec015_b.jpg

5. wilsjane

Working with Mel Brooks on silent movie was an experience that I will never forget.
    His everyday character was just like a script from one of his films.
    Typically, if he liked something that you did, he would shout to the entire crew "fetch that guy a lollypop" often followed as work carried on by "fetch that guy 2 lollypops".He never remembered anyone's name, so we were all just 'that guy'. No one ever got upset by the way that he spoke to them, it was just one continuous laugh that went on to achieve exactly what he wanted in front of the camera..

Fred64 likes this.
  6. Fred64

Fred64 Members

You worked with mei brooks? That is so awesome

wilsjane likes this.
  7. wilsjane

Only for a few days when we opened silent movie in London, but he is one of the directors who I will never forget.
    Like all true professionals, he was friendly and easy to work with and really appreciated that I knew a London audience better than he did.
    A few American directors were a pain, but he and Barbara Streisand stood out among the awesome ones.
    Recording and opening Yentl was such a joy. On the opening night, you could have heard a pin drop among 1800 members of the audience during this song.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I was watching footage of the Kennedy assassination on youtube and the reporters in Dallas were calling into the network stations on pay phones.

It’s almost incomprehensible that during a national emergency and a national tragedy the reporters were reduced to waiting in line at a pay phone to relay their eyewitness accounts.

wilsjane likes this.
  9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^^^... There Was No Other Option.....Unless They Had A 2X-Way Radio Link Back To The Office.....:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    wilsjane likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I was watching a scene from the NZ one on weekend and was so funny.

Just been down the beach smoking a coupla Bongs broo yeah Dats my cabbage mate it's in my car must be my cabbage den uh uh just fuck off mate we ain't Dun nuthin wrong officer just smoking a bit of cabbage ay