when to take baby outside

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Tamee, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Tamee

Tamee naked

I've been cooped up in the house for the past month and I want to go outside, but I'm scared of Abryn getting sunburnt. I take her out there about every day or so for a few minutes, but I'd like to go out to the park or something. How long before you should start to take your baby outside? is this a silly question?...

2. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I think your baby would probably benefit from being longer outside then just a few minutes. Dress her longsleeved but light, there's baby sunscreen available, and don't forget a hat, and keep her in the shadow. :)

3. Tamee

Tamee naked

thanks. the only other person I know with a baby is my cousin, and she didn't take him outside until he was like 3 months old or something. he's not supposed to go outside yet, she said, so I was kinda confused.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

just keep them outta the sun n stuff n they are fine,,, they aint china dolls ;)..mine was raised from a week or two old in a milking parlor on the farm or in the woods....just use your common sense n they are generally fine,,,,

5. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Sun umbrellas & such are great for babies. So are screen tents & all that type of stuff. Yeah a sunburn would be pretty bad at this age, but I doubt you were planning on taking her out without precautions ;)

For going to the park, I loved putting my kids in the baby sling, and putting the most adorable little hat on them. At that age they're too young to pull it off yet, and babies are just too darn cute in hats ;)
    love,
    mom

6. Tamee

Tamee naked

:& duh, geez. I have a tendency to distrust my instincts and make myself feel like I don't know anything.

I wanna get one of those cute little sun hats. but all I got right now are the little skull caps. that'll work fine, I think, eh? I just figured out how to put her in a sling and nurse at the same time this morning and oh man, what a RELIEF. MUCH easier to do things that way. so I'm all excited about taking her out tomorrow or maybe tonight.

7. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

I wouldn't put sunscreen on her, I would cover her skin with clothing and hats, etc. Sunscreen is pretty toxic, even "natural" ones. It is better than skin cancer, but the best solution is to cover her skin with clothing.

8. Tamee

Tamee naked

but she gets so hot? even when she's inside and naked I'll be holding her for awhile and she'll start sweating...

9. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I saw this sunscreen at wally world yesterday....it was from....Aveeno I think....it was in the baby isle. I'm guessing it is pretty good, I've never had any experience, though. Also, they had the cutest little sunglasses, which my eye doctor told me I should put on my baby (when she gets here) in the summer time. Just make sure you can't see her eyes through them and they'll protect her eyes enough.
    A hat for her head, too. I guess that'd just be to keep the sun from burning her scalp....so the skull ones might work.
    Just use your better judgement. If you think she isn't ready for the outside yet....don't take her. If you think she is, go have fun with her!

10. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

We've taken Moire out already...a lot...with hats and sunscreen...She gets really hot too, Tamee...She's been fine, but for a bit of sun on her little cheekies...But I bought a big-brimmed hat for her so that shouldn't happen again...

Just keep her out of the sun, in shady areas, and well protected and she should be fine, hon. Get out of the house! :D

11. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

I agree, you've GOT to get out of the house....I went insane after one week!
    But yeah, DO trust your instincts! That's about the best "advice" you'll get! Whenever I'm stressing about something and don't know what to do, I sit back and clear my head and just think, "ok, block out all the doctors, mothers, know-it-alls and whatnot," then I think of what I would do. That's generally the best thing. Intuition is the link between you and your baby! No one else has it but you!
    However, I HAVE read before many times NOT to put sunscreen on a baby under 6 months...just lots of white, long clothes. I read that in "the canadian guide; the mother of all baby books."
    But yeah, get your butt outta that house, girl!
    That's great your using the sling! Gotta love them things! Every person who's had babies I know I've been giving slings to!
    Those little floppy hats are easy to find...I went to Superstore and they had 3 huge bins with hats in them...I went nuts, lol! and they were all $1.98-$3.98
    Moon-we have a pair of those that my MIL bought for Leane! she looks like such a punk in them, lol

12. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

IF you're going to use sunscreen, at least avoid these ingredients:
    titanium dioxide, parabens, Benzophenone-3, Octyl Metho-xycinnamate, Octyl-dimethyl-PABA. Look for something made from mocronised zinc oxide. Well, regular zinc oxide is fine too but it will make your skin white.

And I agree with kirstyn - No sunscreen on little babies!!!!

You could buy something like this:
    http://www.solarwear.com/securestore/c237657.2.html

They make hats and stuff too.

13. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide are actually the most gentle of the sunscreens (and the only one I can tolerate without my eyes swelling up and wheezing.) Pabas and the Oxtyls are the worst. But, most sources say no sunscreen before 6 months. Babies may get a little warm (a baby this age's sweat glands are just getting going and they tend to sweat a LOT!) but covering the head, and the arms and legs and body is best. You can leave her hands out, and let her SEE what is going on. You absorbe more Vitamin D from sunlight than any other source. Even babies can benefit from this . (but your milk has a really neat form of Vit D in water soluable form, which is hard to detect in a laboratory, (because when they first tested human milk they were looking for a FAT soluable substance) that is great for your baby. Vitamin D is NOT really a vitamin, it is a Steroid Hormone. Best to remember when the doc says your baby needs "Vit D" supplements. Babies who are breastfed and who get out in the sun a few times a week have no Vit D problems. They get all they need.)

Let her see what's going on, but cover some of her to prevent burn. Babies have skin which really absorbs things put on it, so I woulnd't use a sunscreen, unless you are in a equatorial region.

14. Tamee

Tamee naked

well I don't have any way to get to a store so I just gotta make due with what I got. maybe my mom will come over sometime and take me to the thrift store or something...I can't really count on her though.

15. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Haha. The next set of pictures you post of her....should include one of her in those glasses! :D

16. barefoot_kirstyn

there actually are some on here....i'll go find them

17. barefoot_kirstyn

18. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

If you buy sunglasses watch out that they have good UV light filtering. Just dark ones make the pupil grow large, which lets even more UV light in the eye, then without sunglassen :)

19. barefoot_kirstyn

actually, I was concerned about that, but my MIL said that she made sure they were 100% approved for sunglasses....hope she was telling the truth....we don't ever really use them anyway.

20. Tamee

Tamee naked

I took Abryn outside today! and it felt so good. we walked to the park, her in the sling and we sat under some trees for a bit and I took her out and she just looked so content to just sit and look around. then a few minutes ago I took her out in the little stroller my friend gave me and we walked around the neighborhood a bit. it seemed to make her happy, or at least attract her attention, because before we left she was starting to get a little upset, but I put her in just to see how far we could get and we spent probably a half an hour strollin around and she didn't make a peep the whole time. yay! it makes me so happy! now she's crashed out on the couch...