When is the best weather in Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by gmmachine, Dec 29, 2004.

1. gmmachine

gmmachine Member

Ok gang, when is the best weather to travel to Amsterdam? I'm a summer person, so I like warm weather. Of course, there is always compromise when it comes to seeing the flowers, checking out the canals (do they smell in hot weather?), etc.
    I am going to see this place sometime in 2005 so I need your help.

Thanks!!!

GM

2. Jon

Jon Member

Early septembers my favourite time to go :0

Jon :)

3. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

June, July and August are best if you like summer... it rarely gets *really* hot here so smells & stuff aren't usually a problem... May and September might work for you too; I looked it up at http://www.knmi.nl/voorl/kd/overzicht/jaar/jaar04.html and it seems May actually has quite a lot of sunshine and not as much rain, even though the average temperature is lowest of these five months. (the darkest color is last year, but the lighter color gives the average temperature, hours of sunshine, and amount of rain over a longer period, which would be what you'll want to look at when planning your trip... but as you see from the sometimes large difference between the two, it's not a guarantee... especially the amount of rain can vary a *lot* and whatever month you chose, you'll need a bit of luck too!)

4. goldmund

goldmund Member

I believe the flowers, tulips, etc. bloom March-April-May. No matter what time of year you go, expect some rain. Obviously less in the summer. I love Amsterdam, perhaps one of the best cities I've been to yet!!!

5. London Mod

London Mod Member

Honestly I would say steer well clear in June July & August.
    Too many people about and you never get a seat in a coffeeshop queues for Museums are about 10 miles long and if you are walking anywhere make sure you double your estimated travelling time as the amount of people will slow you down imensley.

March & April are lovely all the new tulips are blooming and it's not too busy at that time unless it's Queens Day.

November & December in Amsterdam are cold but very beautiful indeed.
    Even ice skating on the canals.
    A nice walk through Vondelpark with a lady friend can't be beaten.

Anyways no matter what time of year you are intending on going you will have a great time in a great city.