when is the best time of day to harvest?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by purple_sticky_punch, Dec 27, 2010.

1. purple_sticky_punch

purple_sticky_punch Guest

i have them on a 12/12 cycle, but just curious if thair is any effect on cutting them down when the light just shuts off, or before they turn on. any input will help ty.

2. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

The best time to harvest your plants is after they have spent 12 hrs in darkness.
    When they are in darkness that is when the plant does all it's production of trichomes. I usually keep my plants in darkness for 36 hrs before I harvest. It increases the trichome production by maybe .5%. It also matures all the trichomes which is my preference . I hope this will be of some assistance.

PAX

3. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

I cut my plants down to 11 hours of light ,and the rest dark. I think that will cause faster change from vegetative state to flowering.Is this 11 hours too little light or is it ok, it has always worked well for me before.??

4. purple_sticky_punch

ty for your help. might help with the bubble hash:)

5. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

You should have actually started a thread on this instead of jacking someone else's thread. Definitely next time.

But to answer your question, I've never heard of anyone doing this before. Does it make a difference? I kinda think not. I know that what you want to do is give your plants as much light as possible. The more photosynthesis that occurs, the higher the production will be. I've heard of some people giving their plants 12 1/2 to 13 hrs of light. Give your plants 12/12 that is the norm and the plant will go into flowering. I hope this is of some help and good luck with your garden.

PAX

6. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

Thanks man, good to know. I will do the other 10 plants on a 12/12 cycle. I'm only a 3rd time grower. My relatives and close friends of my family all grow and I just help trim and harvest buds for them. I get super cheap killer buds and free buds for working though. Shoulda asked them about the 12/12 or 11/13 cycle, but I do not go around them much,so as to keep traffic to only them,and not raise any suspicions..anyway thanks man.

7. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

Was not trying to jack his thread,though it was along the same lines kinda,anyway my bad, I saw your response and thought I would ask someone you seems to have knowledge answer me rather than others that are guessing or giving out BS answers...lol...thanks man,,,sorry for Jacking dudes thread,if I did.

8. purple_sticky_punch

its cool i got the answer i needed berfore you posted. lol and i might have learned something out of it too. although i was wondering if any1 was doing the 13/11 (not the 11/13) on/off

9. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

Cool man.Good luck with your garden.lol.

10. purple_sticky_punch

i just wanted to say to every1 reading this post. this is about my 12th harvest and havent used fourms to ask questions about it (mostly youtube, or google) some of the things im reading really makes me happy to know that people are answering questions for people who may not know as much as others but doing it in a respectful way like you guys are most of the fourms i visit are very harsh and if you dont know everything about what your talking about every1 on that fourm will let you know.lol anyways im glad i found this fourm and plan on being a member for a very long time and i thank every1 that has ever posted on someones thread. happy growing to all

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

longer dark cycles are going to cause the buds to get smaller.. you really dont want to be cutting lamp hours down below 12hr unless your a grow op pushing 2/4Kw ... your tiny grow lamps under 600watts is not a good idea to take needed light to produce buds, and you will not have the intensity needed to bloom buds in darkness should you be taking light away from it, Thinking extra dark in your cycles isnt helping indoors. (buds grow in the darkness from the activity of the light in the day) 12/12 flowering ... :sunny:

Increasing lamp hours for instance when flowering 14 ON 10 OFF will elongate buds in the beginning, but you really need to know what your doing with certain strains when doing this, they will veg and out grow your space.

as paxman said cutting lamps off 36 hrs prior to harvest is what you should do, flushing and cut water off a few days before the lamp kill. many people harvest differently.

With enough lamp intensity 1ooowatt-4ooowatts you can Veg and Flower a marijuana plant with a continuous 12/12hr cycle.. This is not always done via seedling.. But proper Cloning to flower - you shouldnt need to have clones in 18hr light to long once rooted. because they are going to take off fast, and designed to be the flowing end the plant. Placing a clone in Veg for to long will turn it into a monster.. once a clone is rooted its good for a 12/12 room that has enough lamp intensity to bloom..

12. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

It looks like Orison has beat me to it. I was going to suggest that you don't play with the light cycle unless you really know your strain and what you're doing.
    The reason alot of growers on other forums are so impatient with newbies is because most newbies don't know shit and haven't taken the time to do any reading. The most common question I've seen is "I have some seeds- what do I do next?" Most of these people have no intention of growing at all : they are just wasting time. Ao you will find very few people who will take a new grower under their wing. I know I have and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. But that's another story altogether. I hope you will find this site informative and that in time you will be able to share alot of the information you got here with other people. Just try to keep your threads on topic because it can become very confusing should they start getting off-topic. Don't hesitate to ask any question: as dumb as it may sound . I'm sure someone will tell you that it's dumb or answer it to the best of their ability---but just don't take it personally. Good luck and here's hoping you have a successful harvest!

PAX

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

Im always willing to answer grow questions...... Not trying to hold any superiority complex over anyone either. lol.. Ive flipped dozens of pots over in grows cause shit happens and im just not happy with them. And I start all over.. Nothing ever goes as planned. There is no Hannibal Smith here. What you think is an Ateam grow turns out to be Fail Team. You need patience, time, helping hands if your getting old and careless. The equipment necessary to grow real marijuana weighs as much as a compact car. Try moving one all that by yourself all the time, become tiresome. Worse if your illness limits your mobility. While all this time, lighting, electric, water, can not be interrupted and you may learn as a new grower this comes with the territory ..

for instance its the middle of winter up north, a newbie grower losses power and is worried about a few plants / this is like crying over split milk... you have to plan ahead.
    It is also a plant and not the end the world if it dies or does not grow right... This comes with the territory also, before you know it. Youre growing dank buds in no time.

patience, read, ask, read, patience..

14. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

I'm using 800 watt HPS lights for each plant, dunno if that makes much difference as each plant is getting the whole 800 watts of HPS light during the 11 hours of light. I have 10 more plants to go, and they are better to grow longer before going to floweirng. My indica dominant plants with the shorter flowering period (5 of them) are the ones I cut down to 11 hours of light. I will do the other 10 plants with a 12/12 light scheme as before. I only read that maybe these 5 plants were better to maybe cut down quick on the vegettie growth and switch to flowering by myae decreasing the lights to under 12 hours. Obviously that informaton was incorrect. But shouldn't 11 hoursof 800 watt HPS light for each plant be enough for proper flowering?! Thanks for the advice. And I have only done this twice before and have 15 plants total.. I normally "work" for family memberswith huge grows,etc.. I should have asked them before switching to 11 hours though ,I now know.Won't do that with the other 10 plants.