When all youre favorite music turned into the oldies

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Dylanchick0113, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Dylanchick0113

Dylanchick0113 Member

Ok this is really ticking me off cuz Im not that old yet,, wtf?? All the music I listen to is now entirely on th eoldies station,, Bob Dylan The rolling stones,, the beatles, the doors, aerosmith,, you name it ,, theyre all on the damn oldies stations,, when did that happen?? I rememeber when they were still playing em all on the rock channel,, when did the switch happen?? Most of em are still alive and playing gigs,, isnt it a bit insulting to be calling them oldies when theyre still producing new material???

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

umm
    some peopel are already considering 90s music oldies, so I actually understand where you are coming from
    and yes, it's gay
    but remember, nowadays, if it's not crappy, it's probably considered oldies

3. Dylanchick0113

Dylanchick0113 Member

Good point,, todays music is getting worse and worse,,, Im so sick of hearing rip offs redone by morons that didnt even understand what the song was about in the first place,, They take good music and put theyre crappy junk on top of it and wham they get millions,,, damn shame

4. bassplaya

bassplaya Member

god i fucking hate music today. bands are so skill less, i hate it. any tom dick or jane can make a godamn #1 selling album. and dont even get me started on rap music....

anyways, as for the subject, im to young to have this happen, even tho im in to pretty much only oldies music. i just wish current music was of the same quality

5. trailerparkboy

trailerparkboy Heat Bag

hahahaha

6. Dylanchick0113

Dylanchick0113 Member

I heard a rap song on the radio today and the whole thing the dude was whispering the lyrics if thats what you call it "" lyrics"" Man why didnt I think of something that lame ,, I could be a millionaire right now buying out chunks of the rainforest for preservation while these jokers are installing gold inlaid jacuzzis into their thirty bedroom mansions, and buying ""bling"" or ""ice"" for their necks,,, lol friggen lame a** pricks ,, omg and has anyone heard this crap my grill by nelly,, the whole friggen song iis about his gold teeth,, America is getting dumber by the day folks, pretty soon all the good artists will be dead and the ones that are left will be left in the dust. Wow ,, think I needed to get that out,, that was one hell of a rant there,, sorry guys,,lol

7. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

Remember when there were songs that weren't just about love or breaking up? Remember when musicians actually used to play their instruments and write their own lyrics, instead of paying someone else to do it? Remember when DJs weren't afraid to play a track that wasn't a big number one hit, but still a good piece of art?

I weep a little whenever I turn on MuchMoreMusic and hear The Pussycat Dolls, while good artists(albeit 90's artists) are pushed back to late night rotation.

8. bassplaya

bassplaya Member

no kiddin man. if i ever somehow end up being a DJ, im going today everything i can to not only play the hit songs, because most of the time there not even the best.

9. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

I remember going into a shop n seeing 'close to the edge' by 'yes' on sale for 1.99 along with King Crimson - 'larks tongue in aspic' and a few others and they were new.So I bought the lot.OK prog rock was a little pretentious but left alot of room for imagination/innovation.Theres some good stuff around today - some of the metal/folk music is quite refreshing,but I admit - the first category failing 60's I look at on a jukebox is oldies - 'an excellent vintage' might be a better description

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you know there's an irony in this. i remember in the 60s, well the oldies stations then played 30s and 40s stuff all schmaltzied up remixed with string sections. but then in the 60s the top 40 bubble gum stations started doing this thing where anything that was decending in the charts they'd call a "golden oldie".

"last month it was totaly unknown. last week it was a million seller. and now, (dramatic pause) it's a golden oldie!"

for a while in the 70s and 80s people used to make jokes about that.
    so really, this whole question is ITSELF, a trip down memory lane for those of us who remember that.

=^^=
    .../\...

11. denimstar

denimstar edge of darkness

What's really bad is when they take 60's & 70's rock and make elevator music out of it.

12. The Figment

The Figment Member

Its not Old...Its "Classic Rock"!!! LOFrigginL

13. Radiation

Radiation Ruling the Nation

Well, eventually a song becomes old. Thus, it is dubbed an "oldie." It's really nothing to take offense about. It is what it is. But, todays music...that's a whole different topic right there. I think it has more to do with payolla/Clear Channel/etc more than anything else. I'm sure somewhere there is still plenty of great music being made. On the other hand, there is no excuse for this shitty commercial rap that's been getting played a lot lately.

14. mystik_lilac

mystik_lilac Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

lol I kinda thought wtf when I heard Red Hot Chili Peppers on the Classic Rock station.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that's essencialy the same exact thing they were doing with the music from when my parents were teen agers back in the 1920s and 30s, remixing it with sappy string sections. well when i was born in 48, 38 HAD only been ten years earlier and 28 ten years before that.

you realize, when i was little and listning to the radio in kindergarten and first grade, that was actualy BEFORE elvis, let alone the beatles?!

but yah, 60s and 70s was 'politicly dangerous' music because it was challanging the assumptions of the nixxon era.

it does seem i suppose kind of sacralige to play sappy arraingements on synth's, even though i do like the electronic sound.

well there is politicaly dangerous music being written and played today, you just won't ever, or at least not often, hear it on clear channel.

thank something we've still got a few (REAL) alternative stations arround (who do play it)

in the 70s i listened to kzap (a commercial station but indipendent and played the real thing) and kpfa (birth place of 'pacifica').

=^^=
    .../\...

16. kristina777

kristina777 Member

I agree with those who think that 1990s music is old. Thre's a few "90s artists" I listen to and think that thier music is timeless... but for the most part I think a lot of the top 40 stuff that's even on radio today is "old." Sounds the same as everything that's already been put out. Why don't artists quit trying to sell their "product" so much, and concentrate a bit on getting to know the ppl that buy their music?

17. HippieAtHeart69

HippieAtHeart69 Member

I agree 100%

18. stratface

stratface Member

i don't listen to the radio, i just go on the internet and look up indie bands. that's not to say that i dislike evreything mainstream. i respect all musicians (except rappers, who i don't consider musicians.) I'll listen to anything once. i try to keep an open mind. that being said, there is what i like to refer to as "an ocean of shit drowning rock music." i hate all these whiney kids coming on the radio and singing in their high pitched voices about how their girlfriend left them, or how the record company who is paying them millions of dollars for their records abuses them, all to synthesised, reptetive backround music. not one of these artists wil be legitimately popular within ten years, and the big cheese executives will have to move on to the next greenday and fall out boy. "now with added eyeliner!"

19. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

Having been in the music industry for 25 years , I seen where they got now a computer that will take a note being sung off key and direct it to the key it is supposed to be...so you dont even have to be able to sing anymore to be a STAR!!