Wheel Of Time, Robert Jordan

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Persrev, May 19, 2006.

1. Persrev

Persrev Member

Has anyone on the forums read this fantastic series? Im up to my third read-through :D

2. kamikun

kamikun Member

Yes i have read these books, they are great.

3. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

sorry no - but i played 'wheel of fortune' text adventure game many years ago - you had to bribe a beggar to lower you down into a well,and get a box of matches from the vending machine

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yeah, definitely

it's been a couple of years since i've read any jordan, has he published anything new lately?

5. spooner

spooner is done.

when i was 13 and lonely haha.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah, I've red the first 8 and when he finished the twelfth I will reread them. I forgot the most of it already so I have to start again. :)

7. MatrimCauthon

MatrimCauthon Member

Maybe I have? I've read through them a few times... I started when Winter's Heart was coming out and reread them to catch up to Knife of Dreams. By far my favorite series, even though I usually can't get into fantasy. Jordan's a fantastic writer. He's in the hospital right now I believe, with a disease that could prove fatal if his treatment doesn't go well. Let's hope he gets better soon enough... selfishly so we don't have to wait ten more years for the 12th and final installment in The Wheel of Time series.

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

hrm, hope that they wont be nailing his coffin shut anytime soon. :(
    ps...
    http://www.tor.com/jordan/
    he's having an autologous bone marrow transplant for some weird protien in his blood that's wrecking his heart. it's probably all done and over with by now. hope he's recovering comfortably.

9. Eliah

Eliah Member

I read about 8 but found the characters 2-dimensional and it was well over-blown. I'm sorry I wasted my time to be honest. :(

10. happyonehit420

happyonehit420 Member

I read up to like the second book before I realized they weren't for me.....too much talking, it's like reading a stephen king novel......

11. akhc

akhc Member

a bit verbose but Jordan has created a whole new world with a rich tapestry of history and culture. that's the impressive part :). his characters though are a little two dimensional (as someone has said). there doesn't appear to be any weak characters in his stories. just characters that are hard to varying degrees!

12. lg3

lg3 Member

Ive just started them, but its hard to read tho...

13. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

On my list of stuff-to-read. Currently I'm reading the Sword of Truth series by Goodkind, recommended by my little brother (who wouldn't shut up about them, so I finally started, lol). Since I started on these, though, people (including my OTHER brother) have been relentlessly comparing the series and the work of Goodkind with Jordan's series. Any thoughts on that?

14. knitin.chick

knitin.chick Members

I'm on book 7 of the series and absolutely loving it.

Humblebee, I read the Sword of Truth series as well and thought that it rocked! I did find a few parallels between the two series but it's been quite a while since I've read any Goodkind.

Also, does anyone else see any similarities between Matt and Odin of Norse mythology?

15. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Okay, so I've gathered that this series is incomplete. So far, 11 books of it hae been published. Does anybody know, or has Jordan even said, how far he's gonna go with the series? I ask only because I'm really hoping to read an actual COMPLETE series sometime, and it woul be nice if this were finished so I could read it all without haing any of those frustrating suspensful waits in between. So, anyone know? :)

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah, I looked it up some years ago and I thought it's gonna be 12. I hope it's true because I love to reread the series and the new books as soon as it's complete!

17. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

I'm not sure how many he's writing, but after the last it's obvious things are drawing to a close, and a brilliant one at that...
    Eh, as to similarities between these and TGs SoT series...many people say TG copied RJ. I don't see it really, there are some similarities, but the way the stories have played out and the style of writing is different enough to make them both (for me) essential reads. Fantastic books.

18. Hippydragon

Hippydragon Member

Yeah, I read em.

I found that after about the fifth book they got boring and repeditive.

J

19. elayne

elayne no longer available

One of my favorite series, I've read them all twice. Anyone who likes Tolkien will enjoy the WOT series. I also listened to them on audio and really enjoyed that! Anxiously awaiting the next one!
    All of you who said you like WOT, I recommend George R R Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

20. elayne

elayne no longer available

Some of you may not know, Robert Jordan passed away yesterday. He fought the disease for a long time, I hope he has found peace. We will miss him so much!