whats your mantra?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by tuesdayafternoon, May 21, 2004.

1. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

well, what is it?
    I need some suggestions on one

2. Cloudminerva

Cloudminerva Member

Hi. I particulary like these...

Om (the ancient sound of all being)
    Om namo narayanaya (brings strength and harmony in times of trouble)
    Om Mani Padme Hum (compassion for the enlightened ones) literally means "the jewel in the lotus" signifying beauty, compassion, and reverance of the female aspects.
    Om Aim saraswatyai namah (creativity and wisdom)

Peace,
    Ben.

3. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Mine is Om nama shivaya.

Cloudminerva, it is important that you use the same mantra during meditation as the mindwill tune to that and make meditation easier.

4. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Many teachers state as mine does that a mantra to have full power in are lives should be given from GURU or teacher to the student.It carries there linage and power of the mantra with it.Though there are some mantras that work and anyone can do them:::

Repeat RAM or hare krishna hare krishna
    Krishna krishna hare hare
    hare rama hare rama
    rama rama hare hare

Anyname that you repeat in my opion wil work when done with your heart and soul in it.Do this at least 108 time twice daily.

5. Jennyflower

Jennyflower Member

ok, im really embarrased about asking this, but what is a mantra? *hides in corner*

6. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

thanks for all the suggestions. A mantra is a word that you repeat while you are meditating. It helps with concentration and relaxation.

7. Wicked Eyes

Wicked Eyes Banned

Either Om or Om Nma Shiva.

8. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

May I/someone else/all the sentient beings in the universe be well.May I/someone else/all the sentient beings in the universe be happy.
    May I/someone else/all the sentient beings in the universe be free from suffering.

Blessings

Sebbi

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Tom Robbins wrote that there were two mantras in the world: yum and yuk.

Yum is more useful.

I tend to tone because I get caught up in words, and the tone frees that analytical side.

10. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Actually, yum means mother in Tibetan, and it is pronounced yoom. That wouldn't be such a bad mantra if one understands the basis of the Divine Mother as Prajnaparamita or the ultimate cognition of the Absolute.

Otherwise, a mantra which all Tibetans use is Om Mani Peme Hung as said above. It is the mantra of Manjushri or the Infinitely Compassionate One. Many Tibetan Buddhists when they do prayers also say that they hope that anyone who even says this mantra once will gain the state of the Buddha, and so they are praying especially for those who do say this mantra. Ie., you will gain the blessings of thousands of helpful prayers by entering the stream of this mantra. It's basically understood that no empowerment is needed for it.

11. hello

hello ~*resonance*~

i've felt the power in mantras... "Om-mani-pad-me-hum" ...
    just saying it brings on noticeable changes in my state of mind...

but i am wondering:

how did you come upon YOUR mantra. did you just bump into it one day,
    or did someone guide you to it, or did you sound it out yourself...??

i feel like i'm still looking for MY mantra, or my particular vibration.
    any places to start?

12. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

I simply chose one that was sufficiently mystical for me. I started out as a Hindu, and I liked some Mahalakshmi mantras because I was poor. I did them for a good amount of reps, and then later was led to Buddhism and have been doing Buddhist mantras since then. A great Book is "Healing Mantras" by Thomas Ashley Ferrand. Try some out. Just go with what you feel to be best, and make it a bit of a discipline, and then if after a while you decide it's not satisfying enough then chose another. However, mantras clear ones obscurations and sometimes that can be fiery and unpleasant, so don't just give up at the first sign of trouble. Wow! When I wqas doing Mahalakshmi sadhana I was filled with the rebel spirit and I faced my worst fears and went out and protested the Bush War by myself and other weird things. I see this now as my making the causes for new types of better karmas. Inspired by mantra repetitions.

I'll let you in on an esoteric secret:
    Mantras beginning with the letters
    H N M and SH are considered Akasha mantras and are good for all people.
    So mantras like Hrim, Namah, Mah, Shrim, and similar are very good for all.
    Everyone can use the mantra Hreem, Hreemah, Heereem, Hring, Hiring, and so on for silent meditation with good blessings, and gain success and samadhi.

I really used to dig the really long Kali, Saraswati, and Ganesha mantras but I didn't have time to complete sadhanas on them. The ones I am speaking of are in Ashley Ferrands' three notebook set.

13. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I found mine at wildmind.

Blessings

Sebbi

14. Cloudminerva

Cloudminerva Member

I read through a few lists of mantras and I found a few that really stood out at me, but the one that truely captures me is Om Namo Narayanaya, helping to gain balance and harmony in times of difficulty and trouble. it is really great for me. I always come back to this one.

Peace,
    Ben.:cool:

15. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

My mother introducred my to my mantra on Mahashivaratri day, we fasted and did japa all day. It was beautiful :)

16. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

That's awesome. How old were you, and what sort of mantra is it? Ishtadevata?

---Om Namo Narayanaya is a great mantra, especially for removing negative planetary effects, and evil enviromental obstructions. It is of course, the mantra of Mahavishnu. As such it is very clearing and powerful. Good choice.

17. neckienoo

neckienoo Member

That's a cool mantra!

Here's mine.....

May I be able to live my life in harmony with the energy that makes the rain fall and the flowers grow.

18. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

are ohm mani padme hum and om mani peme hung the same mantra??

and can anyone tell me how to properly pronounce Om Aim saraswatyai namah?? thanks.

the one i use most often is "ohm mani padme hum" and it seems to work well for me. every now and again i use just "ohm" but as someone said before, it's apparently not good to switch all the time.

19. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

It doesn't matter which Om Mani Peme Hum that you use or how you pronounce it. The spelling and pronounciation differences are merely that, mirroring different localities.

Om I'm sarah swat a yea nam a ha

20. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

I was 21, it was this year a little before my birthday. I was using it earlier also, but I used many different mantras and it was only then that amma gave me my mantra. It is just Om nama shivaya. What sort...? How do you mean?

My ishtadevata is my guru. Ishtadevata is the form or deity that you find it easy to develop devotion towards and thereby meditate on and pray to. Usually the mantra is addressed to the ishtadevata. If shiva were your ishta then your mantra could be om nama shivaya, if it were krishna, om namo bhagavate vasudevaya, etc. Of course my ishta and mantra dont sem to match however, lord shiva is considered the guru of all gurus:

sadashiva samarambham
    shankaracharya madhyamam
    asmadacharya paryantam
    vande guru paramparam.

The Etrnal Lord Shiva first,
    Sri Shankaracharya (a saint of the 17 or 18th century who was instrumental in the revival of hinduism, advaita vedanta school of philosophy and for extensive notes on all the sastras as well as several great texts and slokas of his own, possibly the greatest guru of all time in hinduism) in the middle
    Our acharya (meaning guru) finally,
    I salute/bow/pray to the entire guru lineage.

Therefore even though my ishta devata is my guru, I can use om nama shivaya as my mantra, since the guru is a form Lord Shiva himself.

Om Namo Narayana is also a wonderful mantra, as is Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya. The mantras are classified byt he number syllables, om namo narayana is referred to as the 7 sylllable mantra, om namo bhagavate vasudevaya is the 12 syllable mantra, om nama shivaya is thr 5 syllable mantra and so on. This is useful in picking our rudrakshas for your rosary. Rudrakshas come in various kinds, 1 faced, 2 faced upto 12 faced and according to the number of syllables inyour mantra a rudraksha mala withthe same number of faces will give greater potency to your japa.