What's the Ultimate Salad? or is there one?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, Jun 10, 2018.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Dang. End thread.^

2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Wait what? I eat raw kale a lot, usually toss it into a protein shake with some fruit. I might have to rethink this. :oops:

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Your mom tossed my salad

quark likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It can interfere with your thyroid or something, but from what I understand you have to consume a LOT of raw kale for that to happen

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

The ultimate salad is the one that gets the greens inside of you.

6. drumminmama

On kale:

Another concern has been the goitrogen content of kale and other cruciferous vegetables. Goitrogens are naturally occurring substances that can block iodine from entering the thyroid gland. Iodine is a trace mineral needed by the body to make thyroid hormones that promote normal metabolism. A deficiency of iodine can lead to a condition called goiter, or enlargement of the thyroid. Healthy persons who eat enough iodine and metabolize iodine normally will not be affected by dietary goitrogens. However, if one has an underactive thyroid called hypothyroidism and cannot produce enough thyroid hormone, eating excess goitrogens, especially in raw form, may further suppress thyroid activity and increase the risk of goiter. Those who have hypothyroidism specifically due to an iodine deficiency are at greatest risk. A simple solution is to cook cruciferous vegetables, which deactivates the enzyme responsible for causing the goitrogenic effect. [7] Including a wide variety of vegetables each week other than cruciferous will also protect against eating an excess amount of goitrogens.

From
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/kale/

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Spinach is also better when cooked.

8. drumminmama

Today’s salad is green leaf, roasted tomatoes, baked tofu, roasted red pepper (it’s cold and I want an excuse to run the oven), Ed onion, reed cabbage, lime cilantro vinaigrette. This will be lunch and dinner.

9. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Cobb salad is simply decadent. But it includes bacon. Maybe you could substitute vegan bacon. Every other part of the salad is vegan or vegetarian.

:smile: