What's Next?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by HashtagInterested, Nov 14, 2019.

1. HashtagInterested

HashtagInterested Members

A forest and a garden or a career doing something I truly enjoy? A balance between the two would be brilliant, but the how to unknown.

I'm a writer, photographer, painter type artist in the making who want/needs a forest and a garden too. I could go alone but then I wouldn't enjoy painting or photography as much then, but I'd still get the forest and garden. The remedy is easy, but the how to isn't.

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

When I was at college and studying to become a doctor, I took a part time job at the local cinema to pay the bills. Not wanting to sell popcorn, I blagged my way into the projection rooms and one Saturday when the projectionist did not arrive for work, they had no option than to let me run the films.
    20 minute rolls of film to be shown in the correct order, open carbon arc-lamps requiring the correct electrodes every reel change and 2.000 people the other side of a sheet of glass, it was terrifying, but somehow I got through.

The call of the cinema was just too great and I ended up as the chief engineer of the Odeon chain a few years later.
    Working with the directors and engineers of all the film at the height of cinema popularity fulfilled my dreams. During the following 50 years, I ran 14 Royal film performances, designed facilities at several major film studios and spent 7 years designing an award winning theater.

It was not all a bed of roses, particularly during two recessions, but having chartered as an engineer, I spent the first recession designing equipment for Heathrow airport and on the second one I returned to cardio-thoracic surgery, where my engineering experience was invaluable in fast-beating the heart (to reduce arterial blood-flow) without the need to stop the heart during TAVI procedures,

Sadly, in today's world, people spend their days staring at a computer screen and like a group on Lemmings, we call it progress.

images38RI8Y9L.jpg

HashtagInterested likes this.
  3. HashtagInterested

Nice room … Equipped with surround sound I would presume. I do the same though. Stare at the computer screen conversing and viewing images, acquiring new information, and spilling this kind and that kind. Progress? Yes and no. I guess it all requires a balanced approach. Too much of this and too much of that is well … too much. I enjoy the outdoors, but I enjoy comfort also. I guess the trick is in incorporating needs into what I enjoy and keeping out the non necessities that refuse comfort. Comfort. There's just something to be said for comfort.

wilsjane likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm not allowed to tell you...

HashtagInterested likes this.
  5. HashtagInterested

I am allowed to say, but you already know what … as do I. The question is what comes between now and then?

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

That was my base theater in the Haymarket (London)
    I was never a lover of surround sound which cannot form good waves from boxes in the ceiling. While it may be effective for overhead space ships, it causes phase distortion in music, since sound only travels at 720,mph. At 2,KHz, typical in violin music, the sound will be 180 degrees out of phase from some seats. You need to remember that their is no focal sound point in a cinema. Their are 5 sound channels behind the screen, each using massive speakers and cell horns above 500,Hz.
    My main concerns were music, since I brought classical music and opera to the theater.
    This is the theater that I designed from scratch in 1990. It took 7 years to design and construct.
    Curzon cinemas 4.jpg HH414361_942long.jpg GT061704_942long.jpg

7. HashtagInterested

What is it about music that touches the soul like it does? I enjoy surround sound when watching movies with the big crashes and things flying from one side to the next … as if from one ear to the other and sometimes over under in the front to the back and sometimes dead center. I like my music the same way … immersive, like the echo in a enclosed type colosseum... the waves that travel and create the ambiance of it all.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a forest and a garden sound like something i would truly enjoy to me.
    having to chase little green pieces of paper and having to deal frequently and directly with other humans in order to do so does not.

to each absolutely their own though, "good" advice costs nothing and is worth the price.

i think it would be a great boost to my ego to see something i design built, but no way would i have the social stamina to herd it through the process of getting it done,
    so those who do have my admiration, whatever my personal taste vs a vs their aesthetic.

that being said, i do have a strong sense of personal aesthetic.
    and while i cannot boast of having accomplished anything to amount to much in my life,
    i've finally learned how to make pictures of things i want to see.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a truly advanced civilization would not require cities, nor automobiles, but might keep little people sized trains for the enjoyment and aesthetics of riding on and seeing them.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the extinction of humans, replaced by foxes and cats and skunks that walk on two legs and have big brains and opposable thumbs.
    and the abondonment of cites. any sufficiently advanced tecnological civilization no longer needs them.

ok, first the seas rise. or at least i though that would be first, but it looks like we're starting to have the plagues already.
    anyway the salt oceans get into the aquafirs, and that reduces food production, so under nourishment increases suspetability to diseases which warm also halps to mutate faster then can be cured.

an alternative exists, but depends on people not beeing too blinded by greed to impliment it. storage and collection of incident energy i.e. wind, and solar, rather then chemical conversion by combustion, the key to its total adoptation are storage technologies such as magnetically suspended flywheels and room temperature liquid metal batteries.

and there is profit in these alternative technologies so we'll just have to see how it plays out how it will.
    but as long as the automoble and the dollar remain sacred cows, we're on the road to ecopocalyps.