What Would You Do? (W.W.Y.D)

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by seamonster66, Jan 10, 2005.

1. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Last car thread....

Would you buy a cheap used car that has no guarantee that something tragic won't happen to it shorty for around 4,000 dollars or a certified used Honda with 29,000 miles for 9,000 dollars and pay it off for 4 years?

2. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

depends on what my bills looked like....currently, i had made the decision to go with a cheaper car and i am waiting to buy a newer one....cheap did not work out for me...i would rather have the car payment than the headache

i would put the 4000 down and pay it off in a couple years though...but that is how i am with money...i like to get'er doooone

3. seamonster66

our financial situation isn't great.....but the payments would only be 200 a month, seems manageable...

At first i was definitely leaning towards a very cheap car, but then I was thinking this might be safer

We couldn't put that much down right now.....

4. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

yeah go for the payment....its more stable...like i said i had no luck with my car/ have more probs with this one than the one i got rid of...

5. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Probably better safe, with a newer one that's certified and everything...

6. seamonster66

OK thats what I'm leaning towards now......

Sounds like Marie's situation could easily happen to me if I don't....

Might be nice to drive around in something pretty new for a change, could be good for my mental health...and also would probably hold the value pretty well if we wanted to sell it.

7. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

need more info on the used car
    but know this,
    "Never buy a new car. Once my cousin bought a new car, three months later... BAM! AIDs." Peter from Family Guy

8. seamonster66

well thats just it, we've been looking at the cheaper used cars, and there really isn't that much info available on them, while the newer used one is certified by the dealer and is completely covered for the first year if anything goes wrong.

ha, I love Family Guy.

9. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

i would go with the certified car that has 1 yr warranty and just try to make it breakdown within the year ;)

buying used car is very risky though i usually just spend $300-$500 dollars that way when it breaks down after 4 months its no big loss

10. seamonster66

I agree....its almost better to go the 500 route than get ,say, a 4000 used car, it seems they have similar odds of breaking down.

11. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I'd take my 4g to the craps table and hope to get a really nice car.

But I've never been very good with money. [​IMG]

12. seamonster66

good idea, but there is no gambling in this state.....the only indians here play baseball in Cleveland :D

i'm pretty fucking tight with money

13. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I bought my car for $500 with no guarantee and 230,000 miles on it and it has been running for 4 years with no breakdowns. So I would try my luck on the cheap car since it worked for me before. But that was probably a lucky break.

14. seamonster66

damn it Christine, now I have to reconsider :D

15. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

I'd go with the certified Honda. They're good cars -- we've had 5, all with great service records and minimal repairs.

One thing with cars, new or used, it's always a crap-shoot. Having some warranty coverage is better than none.

( I used to work in the auto business -- I bet you could talk them down from $9K )

16. antithesis

antithesis Hello

hehe... sorry Gary. Actually though, if I was going to spend more than 1,000 dollars on a car, I would go with a certified one. So I probably would go with the Honda. Gas mileage is also something to consider. Like my peice of crap gets 40 mpg, so that made the deal sweeter.

17. seamonster66

thanks hipster...this one has less that 30,000 miles on it, so it should be good for a good long while. I think we can talk him down some, its an employee owned dealership with a good reputation.

Christine, I think we had the same car before mine died...89 Corolla, the thing is so fucked up now.

I would be nice not to have to rent a car every time we go on a road trip like we've been doing.

18. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Yep, the same car. About half of the people in my town also have a gray 89 corolla. I've tried to get into the wrong car so many times...