What would you consider equal rights?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by moonshyne, Jun 3, 2004.

1. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

I'm just wondering what the girls here would consider as "equal." I've noticed alot of feminists scream for equal rights, but really seem to want more rights, especially where issues like abortion and pregnancy is concerned. I'm a little curious about what people here think, whether its getting to go topless on a beach like men, job opprotunities, or anything else you can think of.

2. superNova

superNova Member

yeah those damn feminists, always wanting so much.

:p

3. sadeyedlady

sadeyedlady Member

How do feminists want more rights in relation to abortion and pregnancy? Do you mean more rights than men or more rights than the child?

I view equal rights as no discrimination based on gender. I don't mind discrimination based on factors of gender, such as the fact that women are physically weaker.

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

What does that mean? "More" rights, as in, more than a man has when HE is pregnant?

5. moonshyne

As in, more rights even though he is half the cause of the pregnancy, and the other parent. I've known men who want to keep their babies and women abort them anyway, or vice versa. In those situations men usually have no say in the matter. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with it, just stating a fact. There's really no need to get all bitchy about it, I'm just asking for opinions.

6. sadeyedlady

sadeyedlady Member

Yes men are half the CAUSE of the pregnancy, but not half the pregnancy, half the childbirth, or half the raising of the child. By the way, there is absolutely no possible solution to the dilemma that a woman wants the child and the man does not.

7. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

So really, males are just biological insemination machines?

8. Megara

Megara Banned

sure there is, men have no legal ties to the baby, men dont have to pay child support. That is the real solution. That is the fair solution. Whether it is the best solution is completely different thing thuogh.

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Of course not. Some men just think they are. In an ideal world they would be branded so you could avoid getting screwed (in every sense) by them.

Everyone needs a father. Course no father is perfect (speaking as one who knows) but they aren't bad. We have two parents for a reason.

I'm a great advocate of fathers getting a better deal in custody battles. There is a lot about that in the British media and they do seem to get a raw deal. If you're going to demand that much maintanence surely it's not unreasonable to let him see the kids for another weekend.

TTFN
    Sage

10. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

That's pretty much my definition :)

I'm pro choice, a great advocate of ending domestic violence (Well violence in general really.) have major issues with the way women are viewed in the media as 'bimbos', 'bitches', 'sex objects' etc. In fact I can get pretty fired up about almost everything.

This isn't a new thing eithier. I've been like this since the age of ten when I first discovered sexism.

TTFN
    Sage

11. moonshyne

I agree with you 100%. My father was responsible for HALF of our medical bills, HALF of our school supplies, paid child support, basically he was responsible for his HALF, you'd think he'd get his kids HALF the time, but we only got to see him every other weekend. My mother eventually remarried and moved us to Florida, and then we only got to see him during the summer and for one week after christmas. Maybe men don't carry the babies, but you can't blame them for nature's plan.

I have to deal with a deadbeat dad, my son's father, but I don't see that as an excuse to be a bitch with any other guy.

12. Megara

Megara Banned

its not like men are actually portrayed in a positive sense on TV either. I cant think of a family sitcom where the mother isnt portrayed as stable and smart and the husband as a doofus and an idiot. Most TV shows are nothing more than stereotypes on both sides.