what was your FIST CAR?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by unionpacificrailroad, Jan 21, 2005.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I learned to drive and rebuild engines on a 49 Studebaker 1 ton stake truck with dualies, knuckle shocks, vacuum wipers, no synco 4 speed tranny on the floor with a granny gear, manual steering and brakes, a split windshield, and after market turn signals, four ways, and heater. We ran it in a field practicing "speed" shifting and running over trees. First gear had a top speed of 5 mph and fourth was around 55.

Then I graduated to my parent's '62 Plymouth wagon with a big block V8, 2 barrel, power steering and tranny buttons on the dash. We called it "The White Wonder". I used to race 327 four barrel Impalas and 390 Fords and blow them away. Blew out the freeze plugs twice doing that.

Then we got a '67 Fury II wagon with a 318. Not real fast, but what a tank. I'd haul 9 - 10 people around all the time. We could sit four people up front. Used the well behind the rear seat to ice down cases of beer. Then we'd lower the power window on the rear gate, drop it down, crawl out, lift the lid and get the beer. All on the run.
    Used it to see how much snow we could push.

My first car was a '62 Dart GT. Bucket seats, and a 225 Slant Six with buttons on the dash. I stuck an AFB four barrel on a tuned manifold, loosened up the exhaust, put 6 inch wide 13 inch wheels on the front and 12 inch wide 14 inchers on the back. Took off both bumpers, cut a hole in the hood for an intake, threw away the air filter, and stuck helper springs on the back so the wheels wouldn't rub.
    Stuck in a tach from an XKE.

Eventually a biker buddy of mine talked me into spraying blue dots all over the interior with an airbrush.
    The outside was primer gray.

Does it get any better??
    Did I ever get pulled over?

I used to like to make it fly as it always landed on all four wheels. (Unlike the Fury which would always land on the A frame)

Lost the brakes 3 or 4 times, spun out into a wheat field doing 95+ (all she'd do), drove for a year with no reverse, blew the dip stick right outta the engine, hit 33 mailboxes at one time, and finally had ta give her up when the whole tranny went.

2. unionpacificrailroad

unionpacificrailroad Member

Peace maegan,

wow! must have been able to burn alot of rubber that 49er! what was your favorate auto?

later

the thinking flower child

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Datsun 120Y.

4. Frog_On_Ice

Frog_On_Ice Watercolor Paradise

1980 Datsun 200B ZX sadly due to break failure on sunday its a wreak after I rolled :( oh well :)

5. Southernman

Southernman Boarischer Rebell

1964 Mercedes-Benz 190D

6. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

a 79 Holden Commodore, pffft .. such a common aussie car... I drive a prestige car now...

7. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

1973 Ford Pinto.

8. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

i have a four wheel drive all terrain cruiser, the wheels tip over so i can drive sideways at speed....

ok, so it's only a foot long, but hey! :D