what was your FIST CAR?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by unionpacificrailroad, Jan 21, 2005.

1. unionpacificrailroad

unionpacificrailroad Member

Peace,

like many older folks/most mine is a metal behemoth (i like that word because it reminds me of far out BIG). mine is a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air. with the factory specs. (283 v8 4 barrel, turboglide trany.)

later

the thinking flower child

2. redresonant

redresonant Member

mine was an 84 honda accord ..it died coming back from an other ones show in or at the old riverside park now six flags in agwam mass... vw s are the best.

3. Pa_Hippie124

Pa_Hippie124 Member

i still have no frist Car

94 Nissan Altima

4. howl

howl Member

77 westy

then a 69 squareback
    then an 81 gti.....

then i got tired of fixin' old v-dubs and bought a dodge.

5. One Arm Steve

One Arm Steve Member

the first fisting... nvermind.

6. redresonant

redresonant Member

yes they can be hard to keep up with but a vw would look great next to a dodge....

7. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Ford Pinto....no joke

I guess you can't complain about a car your parents give you but..damn

8. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

64 Olds Super 88
    4dr hard top
    394 cid, 2 bbl, 10.25:1 (I believe)
    TurboHydromatic tranny

12 MPG - ran on regular @ $0.239/gal

9. Savannah

Savannah Member

The first was a station wagon my parents but for my brothers, sister, and I to drive ourselves around so they didn't have to drive us to where we wanted to go anymore. It was a tank and a gas, so to speak. When we turned on the radio the windshield wipers came on, as well as other acts of mystery.

The first car I bought and paid for myself was a 1976 Toyota Corolla. Blue, compact, and one of the great loves of my life. Ahh, the memories.

Savannah

10. juggla

juggla Member

a fucking piece of shit, 92' 2 door jeep grand cheroke, i swear it hard to have a lawnmower engine running it, it was awful, i had to fix the muffler from falling by wrappin a cloth hanger around it. but it was only 400 dollars, i didnt register it or have it inspected(it wouldnt pass), had stolen plates on it, and it lasted for a summer before it finnaly died.

11. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Mine was the KING of the Gas Hogs. a 1978, Olds Delta 88 with a 455 CID, and 4 bbl carb. This bitch would pass anything EXCEPT a Gas Station! I put her in a ditch once in Northern Minesotta, not even a scratch on the paint, and the 8-track didn't skip.
    (I was comming home from a kegger, and had Queen on the 8-track. I hit "Massey" curve at 60 plus in Feb. This is a 90 degree turn.That takes less land than your mailbox!) I drove home from there.

12. unionpacificrailroad

Peace Matt,

that one made me smile! what was the MPG in her? i dont know what is CID? how do you figure out what your motor has?

later

the stressed flower child

13. WE1

WE1 Member

Joshua years ago the size or displacement of most American engines with a few exceptions [the GTO used liters] was measured in cubic inch diamater or CID the higher the number the larger the engine.

My first car was a 1970 Boss Mustang that I purchased used in 1971.

14. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My first car was a 1962 Ford Falcon. It was 10 years old when I bought it and it gave me constant repair problems. And yet I still see them on the road today! I don't get it!

My second car was a 1965 Rambler convertible. Great little car for summertime cruising!

15. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

'71 Plymouth Duster. Came with a 225 slant-6, which quickly got swapped out for a built-up 340 CID V8. Holley 4 BBL, headers, dual exhaust, nitrous, funky camshaft, etc. I kept the outside of the car looking as stock as possible (complete with rust and dents), and enjoyed blowing away the trust fund kiddies with their Camaros and Mustangs that their mommies and daddies bought them....:)

Mopar or No Car! :)

16. unionpacificrailroad

Peace WE,

hmm. i never knew that. people always ask me questions about my car i can only ask a couple of them! liek what the displacement is,etc. what do you think my 283's displacement is? i have no idea. would higher compression have something to do with it? you owned a mustang! not bad! i never was quite into cars from the 60s up but a 70 Mustang must have costed you alot! i like the more 'stylish' cars form the 50's. i love them becasue

there so big
    lots of chrome
    color
    simplicity over newer stylish cars
    easier to repair and handle
    less laws governing the operation of them.
    usualy cheaper to.

what kind of car do you drive now?

later

the sleepy hipster

17. OrangeSunshine

OrangeSunshine Member

Mine was a 1984 ( the year I was Born ) Cheverolet Celebrity. Then a 94 Chevy Cavalier // next a 88 Honda Accord // next a 97 nissan 4x4 pickup // next a 96 nissan maxima // next a 99 GMC yukon // now a 01 Jetta !!!! I love my VW !!!!

18. Grimace

Grimace Member

1971 AMC Matador was my first. My oldest was a 1962 Chevy Biscayne.

19. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Uh, 283 cubic inches? :)

Displacement is the total cylinder volume travelled by the pistons. Most commonly expressed in Cubic Inches (older US cars) or Liters (modern engines). Essentially, the engine size.

To calculate displacement, you need a bit of high school geometry, and 3 specifications of the engine, the cylinder bore (diameter of the cylinders), the piston stroke (the distance the piston moves in the cylinder as the crankshaft rotates), and the number of cylinders. For a stock Chevy 283, the bore is 3.875", and the stroke is 3.000".

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is Pi* r^2 *h, where Pi is a constant of 3.14159, r is the radius of the cylinder (half the bore diameter), and h is the height (stroke). For your engine, the displacement of one cylinder is:

3.14159 * (1.9375^2) * 3.000

3.14159 *3.754 * 3.000

or 35.38 cubic inches. Multiplied by 8 cylinders, you get 283 cubic inches.

Nope. Compression ratio is the ratio between the combustion chamber volume at the bottom of the stroke to the volume at the top of the stroke. To calculate this, you need to know the volume of the combustion chamber in the cylinder heads, the thickness of the head gaskets, and a measurement called "deck height", or the distance between the top of the piston and the flat surface of the engine block at the top of the stroke. Engines with higher compression generally make more horsepower, but as compression goes up, you need higher octane fuel to prevent "preignition", commonly known as "knocking and pinging"

20. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

1976 VW campmobile. bought it when i was 21. had to learn how to build a motor and run brake lines before i could drive it. lasted me 5 years, sold it for a profit, still running, to try to end my homelessness. i shoulda kept it.