What was your first computer

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Dirk_Pitt, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Dirk_Pitt

Dirk_Pitt Banned

What was the first computer you personally owned?

Mine was a Timex Sinclair 1000, Fully programable 2K. You could but a 16K RMA module for expansion. You could connect to a cassette recorder to save your work, and the monitor was your TV. :D

Dude111 likes this.
  2. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Mine was an Apple II. I have no clue what that looks like anymore, sadly. I used the computer when I was 5, and it broke when I was 6. My parents took it to a repair shop, and I never saw it again. I wish I knew more about it ...

I used to play a game on that Apple II, where you were a jeep and you had to jump across bridges and over rocks and shit, and shoot bad guys. Ever since the computer died, I'd been searching for that game: for YEARS. I finally found it about 2 months ago, it was called Breakthru.

Somehow, I feel as if I am at peace with the Apple II now. =) I downloaded a ROM of Breakthru for a different system, and almost cried when I played it, hahah!

3. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

Apart from a Binatone. paddle control, bat & ball, tennis & breakout
    games machine you plug into your TV, it was a ZX Spectrum where
    you load games with an old style cassette player. Remember the
    ''Manic Miner'' game.? Stupidly addictive basic stuff.
    Since, I've had Amigas, Commodores, Apples and now happy with PC's
    and of course the X-Box. Next is X-Box 360 and a full media centre PC.

4. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I custom built mine. My friends said I was sorta silly for spending so much on it, getting 8 meg RAM -after all, 4 should be plenty- and a 14k4 modem, which was also the fastest and most expensive available at the time, but I insisted. The processor was a 66 MHZ dx2. It *could* handle Windows but I worked from DOS most of the time, dialing in to local BBS's with a proggy called Terminate & reading messages offline with BlueWave. I still have files and files with random taglines, I collected them at the time and I kept the files; quotes from Star Trek, V, other series & movies, etc, etc.
    That was a fun feature, btw, those taglines, and it's one thing I have never seen for use in current email clients. Sure, in Eudora (which I use) and Outlook you can created dozens of different signatures, but does anyone know about any plugin that you can use to add a random quote to your email siggy, without making a seperate sig for each?

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

one of them old school IBMs

6. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

A 286. Got it in '91 and had it for 6 years or so.

7. NewAgeHippie2200

NewAgeHippie2200 Member

I dont remember how long ago it was but my parents bought a 286 ibm pc thing that did basicly nothing. My first computer that I bought was a pentium HP pc. I got 3 PCs after that. They all sucked. Then I switched to Mac. My first Mac was a Power Mac 7600/132 a/v. The Mac was AWESOME!

8. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer, baby.

9. Southernman

Southernman Boarischer Rebell

Here at Germoney the Sinclair from the 1st posting was called ZX81 and I have a 64k Ram-Extension for it. Bought it around 1983, it's still alive and well. In 1984 I bought a Yamaha CX5M with a builtin 8-voice polyphon Yamaha DX-9 FM-Synthesizer modul and a Midi-Interface, working fine until today among other old and new Midi-gear with Cubase VST32

10. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

well the comodor 64 was the old standby, but split time with some tye of atari PC i think, and a IBM 286 i think it was a IIe?? i really do forget. first internet experience mustve been 85, 86, on one of the IBMs at my buddys house, either a 286 or a 386, i completely forget, except it was all green text.

11. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

The first machine I ever used was an old Commodore "PET", back in 7th or 8th grade. We had some lame math games that ran on it, and learned very simple BASIC programming.

The first machine I actually OWNED was a Sinclair ZX81, which was similar to the Timex/Sinclair TS-1000 picture above, but you had to build it from a kit (actually soldering all the parts onto the board, not just plugging shit together like "building" a PC nowadays).

The first "modern" PC I got was a Compaq "portable". The forerunner to the laptop, this was a box about the size of a sewing machine with a keyboard and 7" green-screen monitor. Had to boot from a floppy until I scraped together the money to add a 10 *MEGABYTE* hard drive.

12. hippiewise

hippiewise Member

when i was a kid my father was a computer programmer. that was back in the early 60's and he worked at aerojet in sacramento california. the computers back then were hugh and would cover a wall. it was so interesting when he would take me to his job and show me how the computers worked. now you can get them so tiny, they are almost microscopic. amazing technology. i love my computer only had it for 2 years, it's a dell.
    angel

13. kiddo

kiddo Member

an Apple II.. but quickly moved to the PC XT which was a disaster... the first one i "enjoyed" using was a PC AT 286.

14. Dariah

Dariah Member

I can't even remember what it was nor can I remember whatever happened to it. But it did look exactly like Doogie Howser's.

15. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

A 186 when I was 6, with those miraculous three-million-inch floppies! Hell yeah!! :D

16. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I had an Apple ][c or whatever. :D Still had it up until about 6 years ago. :eek:

17. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Do you remember who the manufacturer was? I never heard of an 80186 chip showing up in a PC. I thought they were only used in industrial controllers and such...

18. Low Dog

Low Dog Member

A Commodore 64. I don't remember much 'cause I'd like to forget, but I do recall booting it with a cassette tape....

19. Destro_the_punk

Destro_the_punk Member

Does an NES count?

The first PC was a pentium 133 i picked up for Dukenukem 3D and warcraft2
    Some time arround 1996?

The first computer I've enjoyed using was my mini ITX NESpc.
    www.oldschoolsystems.com

20. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

a commodore 64, of course

just check out this bad boy...

[​IMG]