what the hell is going on???

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by soulrebel51, Aug 19, 2005.

1. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

it would appear as though this computer has caught some kind of sickness.

its fucking slow, and a whole bunch of my programs have been deleted.. i downloaded mcafee stinger from my isp's website and it found just one virus/worm (the site has a warning at the top of the page.. www.centurytel.net), and it was deleted.. as far as i know, the only programs that have been uninstalled (not by anyone in this house) are firefox, ACID, soulseek, bazooka, and ad-aware (ha, those are the only ones i use on here, imagine that :rolleyes: ), and also, over a thousand music files that were in my recycle bin that i was trying to restore were changed from mp3 into something completely different (the icon changed from the windows media icon to the 'my computer' icon, but the monitor in the icon had a black screen with a green zigzag going through it).. so i deleted all of them for good.

oddly, the icons for all of those progams are gone and were replaced with white '.exe' icons, but for firefox only the fox has been removed.. planet earth still remains. :eek:

i've been trying to get over to pc-cillin.com so i can run housecall, but everytime i try to internet explorer closes. :confused: :confused:

wtf's wrong? i'm not worried about the programs that are now gone, i just want this thing to get back to the speed it used to have and to not be infected (obviously it is).

2. soulrebel51

by the way, all my other music files didn't change.. and i even used ad-aware once, ran Stinger, and when I came back ad-aware had been uninstalled.

3. soulrebel51

lmfao, stinger's been uninstalled. ....

...i haven't really left this computer since i ran it...........

4. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

time to format.....

5. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Umm if it's in the recycle bnin can't you just take them right back out? :rolleyes: If it changed the file type, simply rename it. :rolleyes:

6. soulrebel51

Patrick: I suppose I could've, too late now. :rolleyes:

crummyrummy: but why is the computer unformatted/how did it get this way?

7. underplay

underplay Member

You have a trojan/virus on your hands..restart windows in safe mode with networking(f8 on boot), then download/install any anti-virus software, and do a full scan, then restart. If however the trojan/virus is a custom made unique version, your sol, also, do NOT open any music files named as .exe, dont open anything you dont know that as a .exe extension because that will just reinitialise the bad software again.