What the hell happened to the Rock?

Discussion in 'Movie Stars' started by BrandO84, Apr 8, 2009.

1. BrandO84

BrandO84 Member

Sorry, I suppose it's just Dwayne Johnson now...

You know, I had a lot of hope for this dude. We haven't had a real kickass action star since the 80's with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis, etc. All of the great action movie icons are aging and we're due for a fresh crop. In 2002, the Rock broke away from his professional wrestling career a bit to star in The Scorpion King. I was hesitant about seeing a movie with a wrestler in the starring role because I had no real love for the "sport"; I always considered it a joke. But, my then-girlfriend loved Stephen Sommers' Mummy franchise and wouldn't rest until we saw this new POS. After checking out that film, I was surprised...it wasn't bad and neither was the Rock. He seemed to have a bit of acting skill and managed both the action scenes (duh) and the bit of humor in the movie. I was caught completely off guard.

The following year, we had The Rundown where he did the action/adventure flick with Seann William Scott and I was completely sold. This guy's gonna be our newest badass action star! Finally! He continued the trend in Walking Tall and Doom and I was content in the knowledge that we had our generation's badass. Even his cameo in the Reno 911! movie was fun. Then, something happened...the Rock ceased to be, leaving behind a hollow shell of his former self that he would now refer to as Dwayne Johnson. Unlike the Rock, Dwayne Johnson had no intention of being a badass. Johnson would go on to star in piece of shit family movies for Disney. Has anyone checked out his IMDB page recently? Have you seen what his next film is? He's playing the fucking TOOTH FAIRY! And no, I am not kidding.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Needless to say, this shit depresses me. We had a good thing going for a while there until someone seemed to have neutered the poor bastard. It doesn't really leave us with much, though Jason Statham seems to have stepped up to fill the position. As long as Statham continues putting out films like Transporter, Crank, and The Expendables and stays the hell away from Disney's soul-sucking, we'll still have at least one ass-kicker.

Sorry, I was reminded of this recently and had to throw out a rant, lol. Let me know if anyone else has any thoughts.

2. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Member

I don't care much for any his movies..he should have stuck to Wrestling. That was where he was pure gold.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

smoking that crack..

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, I cant really remember a movie he was in that didnt suck

5. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

He could've been bad ass, but, I guess prefers family movies. Whatever. He's not that great of an actor anyway.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

I like the Rock as a actor in movies.. :(