What should be done about people littering?

Discussion in 'Pollution' started by dandandan01, Jan 25, 2010.

1. dandandan01

dandandan01 Banned: Underage

At my school (and outside for that matter) i see nothing but a constant stream of people just completely throwing what they don't need on the floor. People throw whole sandwhiches even if theyre still hungry, it takes a really dumb person to that in my opinion. Is it possible at all to try and solve this problem, or is it that sadly most people just don't see or care about the impact they personally have on the environment around them? Picking up other peoples crap solves the result of the problem but it doesn't fix the source of the problem...when will people learn?

2. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

There are fines for littering. Try and find an authority figure to keep an eye out for it. That's the best you can do. You can try and tell them it's lame to waste things... Clearly they've never known what it is to want and go hungry, or to live where no one will clean up after you. It's pretty immature and definitely irresponsible.

3. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Problem is police almost never actually enforce littering laws.

4. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

It depends on what you throw away and where. In the city it's always a problem because it makes the place disgusting for everyone. Many places (including here) have a hotline you can call to report someone's license plate number if you see them throw something out of a car window -- that is going way too far. I throw things out the window in the country all the time, if they're biodegradable. I don't really consider throwing a banana peel in the ditch littering. The laws don't make any distinction here as far as I'm aware.

5. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I found that there is little you can do about the people doing it. Fines mean something only when they are caught.

I pick up litter every chance I get. I know I can't help the people stop littering, but I can help the environment by picking up after others.

I don't like it, but somehow I love it. I think it's because of Karma. Mother nature knows what I am doing and I know that she appreciates my efforts.

6. Skooky

Skooky Member

I do what I can to clean up litter. Every chance I get wherever I go. When I go for walks, camping or just out doors to enjoy Nature.

Today I really got upset. I rode my bike down to the river. It's usually quite pretty down there and not too much trash. I pick up trash, cans, bottles, the usual while I take my walks there and had a trash bag with me for just such an outing. Well, today, under the bridge was a HUGE pile of roof shingles. It was about 10' diameter and a couple feet tall. There was another smaller pile that were partly burnt as if someone had tried to burn them.

When I got back I contacted The Ohio EPA, OHIO DNR and the local Soil and Water Conservancy. Ohio DNR said to contact the EPA, no reply back from them yet. However I did hear back from the Conservancy and was told the proper authorities have been informed.

It was so discouraging and sad to see such a thing along the river. It really hurt.

I hope it gets cleaned up and It would be nice to catch whoever did it. as unlikely as that is.

peace

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My son's stepdaughter litters in her house and outside her house. When I find it I take it and put it in her bed.

8. Black_Books

Black_Books Member

How do you stop litterers? Burn them. They actually light really well and the emissions aren't that harmful.

-BlkBks

9. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My husband calls them out and says in a super friendly voice, "you dropped this!"

10. raejustrae

raejustrae Member

you could always see who dropped what then pick it up and put it on their desks. c: i did that when i was going to school and eventually some of them got tired of my shit amd started throwing things away. >xD

but the kids at your school may react differently. o.o

11. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I don't understand when people throw trash down on the sidewalk when there's a trash can a few steps away!!! But, i guess it gives someone a job, soooo....

I'd like to see more recycling receptacles along the sidewalks...I very much believe in recycling. Some of the trashcans where I live actually are split where one side is for trash, and the other side is for recyclables...the nicer areas usually have more recycling cans, some areas have solar compactors for trash and recycles.

If you throw something away that could be recycled, and you have the option available to recycle it and you instead throw it in the garbage IMO you should be taken to the top floor of a parking garage and throw off.

I don't understand people putting shit in with the recyclables that 'doesn't' belone there either like shit contaminated with food and stuff. WTF is so hard about it, it says on the damn thing what is allowed and what isn't...can't you fuckin read! There should be a fine for that, maybe there is...I know in NYC there is a number you can call to report recycling violations...and its mandatory to recycle.

12. SpringClear

SpringClear Guest

I really wish that more people cared about the effects of littering. Then there'd be more outcry against the litterers. To agree with someone that posted earlier biodegradable things like fruit are okay but wrappers and packaging, they should carry heavier fines with incentives for enforcers.

Nothing angers me more than seeing streams and canals filled with litter. How can people be so foolish as to pollute the very water that we need to survive?

13. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

I litter in the city..

I'm keeping the crackheads employed..

I don't litter in the country

14. pheelep

pheelep Members

Perhaps education would be the best idea. Forcing people to do things and creating laws often does not work.

15. pheelep

pheelep Members

LOL thats a good idea, i used to do that when my brother messed the room up - He went to bed and had to clean it all lol..