What qualities are important to you in a significant other?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Aug 15, 2005.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

For me

I'd have to say that looks can be about average but along the lines of looks, it's important to be the way the person presents themselves-class... takes care of themselves, etc.

Also... intelligence, they dont have to be a genius, but i have to be able to have semi intelligent conversations with them about a vast range of different topics. It's defiantly good if they like to read and learn and are into learning new things.

Honesty.... is VERY, VERY key for me. dont have to say too much about that.

Politeness and respect.- yes, you need to tip well. yes, you need to be polite to old people, nice to animals, kids... courteous to people- nice to your mom, my mom, etc.

NOT being obnoxious. Pet peeve. wont say any more.

Forgiveness, understanding and loyalty.... because i return the same and expect nothing less.

A good sense of humor... I CAN'T be with someone that i cant laugh with. and you cant take life too serious.... have to be able to joke about the bad things and be a bit sarcastic and silly at times.

Thoughtfulness. surprizes... simple, every day ones.... are very, very nice.

Someone that I dont always feel like i have to talk around. someone that let's things sometimes just BE.- there isnt always a need for words.
    someone that gives me my space to read, and things like that without feeling the need to talk to me constantly.

someone who does not need to go out with their friends all the time without me. if im never invited, i wonder why.....

has to have goals and be an adult and not act fifteen. its great to act silly and have fun but you know- i dont need someone who wishes they were still a teenager

hmmm, yeah.... all i can think of right now.

2. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

3. interval_illusion

yeah, this might have been better in the relationship forum but oh well. it's a random thought as well.... plus i try to stay away from that forum.

anyways, that is mine and dan's relationship to a T.

oh i just thought of another important thing in a relationship to me...

the ability to handle fights/arguments/anger in a constructive way...... *and that is what we are currently doing... tis great* :D

4. Hacker

Hacker Vescere Bracis Meis

ok, yeah...

A personality. A free thinker - one that can make decisions without hearing first what they SHOULD think.

Dependability - If you can't count on your best friend, who can you count on?

A solid work ethic. Ok, I don't care if you have a job outside the home or if you are a housewife. But I like someone that cares about doing a good job. Doesn't put things off that need to be done, yet can leave minor things to wait to enjoy yourself some too.

An understanding of making sure bills get paid before entertainment happens. I have no problem handing my paycheck over - or them taking the rest of theirs - once the bills are paid. I personally have very few needs.

Looks.. yeah they have to be presentable. I don't need a supermodel, or even an attractive girl. Just as long as they take care of themselves. I want them to be healthy and clean. Beyond that as long as I can lose myself in their eyes, I am stolen.

5. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

My significant other must be identical to me in all ways.
    Except they must be more knowledgable about things I am interested in, be better looking, and funnier.
    Also, they musn't(sp?) know they were way out of my league.

6. interval_illusion

dependability is a great one, hacker and i love your reasoning. very, very true.

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Femininity, submissiveness (I don't like women who feel they have to compete with men), loyalty, a loving, caring, down-to-earth personality and intelligence.

Looks are also important, but a women with only looks and nothing else isn't a real woman in my opinion.

8. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

Actually, unpredictability is very sexy and attractive to me.

Probably THE most important thing.

9. steffan

steffan puffin

self respect, intergraty, good in bed

10. Hacker

Hacker Vescere Bracis Meis

Good call... Although unpredictability might not be the right word for what I am looking for... maybe more spontaneity.

11. interval_illusion

just one question... im all for women being feminine because in my opinion.... no, ill save my opinion just in case...

but the submissive part and your comment afterwards i dont get. you dont like women who compete with men but you're almost making it seem like men are better then women by saying those two things together. why cant both parts just be equal and no one competing?

12. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

strength... a backbone, a personality, willing to stand up for things he believes in, able to make a decision. Not physical strength, mental strength

personality - someone I can get along with, enough of a nerdy streak that we can talk about stuff, but still able to function in society.

Independence - dont' rely on me for everything, be able to make your own decisions, and living on his own is best for potential noisyness

humour in balance - dont' be serious all the time, but when it is called for, be able to calm down and stop joking

listening - be able to listen to what I need to say, and actually hear it.

sensitivity - dont' do things that hurt or piss me off after I've told him that it hurts/pisses me off

a sense of romance - no, i don't need a bouquet of roses every day, but going out for a nice romantic dinner (my favourite place is all of $6 for a plate of pasta, not pricey) every now and then is good :D

physically... someone who I don't find unattractive. I don't really know what constitutes that, but i can't date someone who I find unattractive. this is different than simply not being attracted to htem... neutral feelings about their appearance is fine, being turned off by merely looking at 'em isn't.

13. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

she has to be female. I like inteligence wit and humor.

14. interval_illusion

i also really like the person to have a sense of innocence to them. not that everything they did in the past has to be innocent and pure and all that... but just someone who can see life through the eyes of a child at times and just has an innocent, sweet heart... :)

15. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think you said it well Steffan. I would suggest adding only self confidence and a sense of humor....

16. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

yeah, I think about the innocence thing too...
    I think it's more like curiousity and not being bitter and closed off to experiences...but,being smart enough not to wander into some dangerous situations.

and yeah, spontineatityty (or however the fuck you spell that word) IS a better description for me too. 'unpredictable' sounds like you gotta make sure s/he's not gonna shank you or something.

17. happyhippyflower

happyhippyflower Sucker Punch

Sex on demand.

and no emotional attachment.

18. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

You all pretty much nailed it....
    but I must add good hygiene. Greasy hair, salty dick, and bad breath just do not do it for me. It goes further than just appearance/taste/smell though; It's about putting forth effort into a relationship.

19. interval_illusion

yeah spontanouity is nice.

unpredictable is kinda scary.

20. interval_illusion

hahaha yeah i know what you mean. i was kinda touching on that in the beginning (first post) when i said they can be average looking but have to take care of themselves (i meant physically).... anyways....

salty dick. lama!!!