What makes a good actor?

Discussion in 'Movie Stars' started by j_red, Sep 14, 2007.

1. j_red

j_red Member

Reading through these some of the posts here i noticed that alot of people think most actors in hollywood are bad? So..my question is what makes a good actor?

I dont understand why some people bash some good actors? movies are for entertainment..

2. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Convincibility.

x

3. Claudio63

Claudio63 Member

The key word for me is versatilty. If they're good in both comedies and dramas they're good. Alec Guinness, James Stewart, Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman are actors I consider good/great. But I think Al Pacino, for example, who most people asume is the best actor ever stinks as a comedian (even though he was awesome in Godfather 1).

Knowing when to restrain (not overact) is also important for me. Jack Nicholson has excelled in both dramas and comedies and now and often knows when to underact (" Ironweed", " The Pledge") and when to overact (" Batman" and "Witches of Eastwick", which are larger than life characters that need a degree of overacting) and even when to do it just right ("As good as it gets" ). A few times he'll go overboard (" The Shining" ).

Just my two cents of course.

4. TriCo

TriCo Member

Flexibility for me.. if an actor can convincingly portray different roles on every movie genre assigned to him.. then that's when i can say that he's an effective actor.. :)

5. Michaela

Michaela Member

I concur with Xexon - convincibility. Therein lie many consituents that make one convincible. Like, for example, Dustin Hoffman's portrayal of the character "Ratso" in "Urban Cowboy" was outstanding - as the story unfolded, I saw Ratso, not Dustin ... he was completely convincing as the character he was hired to portray. One has to immerse themselves completely in the part and become that person. To do that, one has to understand every nuance of the individual they're portraying - the demeanor, etc.

And regarding the comment about Al Pacino - he is an excellent actor - his portrayal of a blind retired Colonel in the movie entitled "Scent of a Woman" is a shining example of what good acting is. He got the details of a certain tilt of the head and cast of the eyes that a blind man possesses right on the mark as he carried out that role. As well, he conveyed the frustrated emotions that a blind man in his position would most likely feel. And, I can't compliment his acting style enough in that closing scene where he tells off the Head of the School while he stands up for the young man by telling everyone that the kid can't be bought off because his ethics are intact. Acting aside, a movie that delivers a good moral message for us all to view is a movie worth making for us to see - to remind us that doing the right thing for the right reason is something we should never lose sight of .... and to make us see how being kind and considerate towards others is good for the good of all. Keeping this in mind, another aspect of "what makes a good actor" is an actor that finds it important to accept roles in movies that do deliver a good morale message - because movie media has the power to have great influence on the masses.

Sincerely, Michaela

"They will never make a perfect heart until they
    make one that can't be broken."
    The Wizard, "The Wizard of Oz"

6. peacechicka1

peacechicka1 Member

If they can really get into their part and act it like they are that character...the better they are.

7. Globalbpo

Globalbpo Banned

Versatility, natural acting skills and a really good script. But I've found a really great e-book that can actually teach anybody to be good actors. I acted in a play and found it really helpful. check it out here and browse for some cool stuff too.

8. plazake

plazake Guest

Every child has surely used their imagination at some point while playing and passing the time. It comes in the use of dolls and superheroes. Children create characters to portray. They give these characters backgrounds and stories and they imagine these
    fallacies to be truths. This is an important concept for actors to grasp.
    comparatif simulation taux credit auto - Taux crédit auto. Comparatif des offres! Les meilleurs taux crédit auto sont sur le net !comparatif simulation taux credit auto

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

a catch phrase..

Ill be back.. :D