What keeps happening to me when I meditate (and that scares me a bit)

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by Penny, May 31, 2004.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

EVERY time I meditate, and also before falling asleep, something strange happens to me, I hope I can explain it well:

I start meditating, and after a while I seem to lose conciousness, like I'm dreaming but I don't really dream, and well, what happens is that when it stops, I get this scary feeling of coming back from somewhere, and it feels like I'm falling... when I'm in bed I always think I'm falling off, and when sitting it's like falling from a very high building... and I can never remember what happened.

What is happening to me? My mom thinks my spirit "gets out of my body" and the falling feeling is just it coming back... could that be true?

2. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

sometimes when im in a very light sleep or a daze i still thi9nk im pretty awake and then it feels like i either was kicked in the ass, jumped, or fell from a big height. it is weird

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

you too? yeah it is weird, I'd like to know what happens really...

4. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Lucky bastards! I think thats whats called assention. Its were you are reaching an enlightened state of consiousness. I envy you soooo much

5. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Actually, it's pretty simple and good. Basically what you are experiencing is pratayahara or withdrawl of the senses. It is very noticable when you are sitting up and happen to fall asleep. Because then when you awaken your mind is very fine and notices the processes of becoming re-engaged in the sensory world. So it seem s like one is floating, and then suddenly becoming anchored. I have experienced this countless times. It's nothing to worry about. It's a great thing that you have this awareness of yourself as such a vast person, whether engaged in action, or engaged in the bardo spaces. Comfort in these experiences, the Tibetan Buddhists teach, helps us get our bearings especially after death. Take the experience exactly as it is, and don't add any special meaning to it, it's just another experience like riding a bike, or anything else, except its an experience of those who meditate.

6. philuk

philuk Member

yes after some long good meditation sessions I have experienced something similar. I will go to sleep, but suddenly wake a few minutes later like I fallen or have been pulled back from something. Also get the feeling I am getting merged into some type of vast light and something pulls me back. Haven't a clue what, no memory of what happens. Before I meditated I never woke up a few minutes / sometimes half an hour after falling asleep. So I conclude it's related to the meditation. Sadly due to lack of concentration at the moment I am not having this happen.

7. Angeldustblossom

Angeldustblossom Member

this happens to me normally....i have anxiety and that is very taxing on your mind...so the mind does things to help it....and i space out just like that and then when i come to i am weirded out it's only like some seconds usually but still it freaks me out....my mind does a meditation to relax so I'm trying to practice meditating to relax it so i can just live normally throughout the day....i know it sounds weird but trust me.

8. EroticCookie

EroticCookie Guest

So that is what that is...I just thought it was part of the whole meditation thing and went along with it. What is really freaky is when you start hearing voices and children laughing. Then you dream about them...that is freaky. Used to happen all the time in my old house. Oh well.

9. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Wow I'm so releived to know that I'm not the only one to who it happens! I mean, I didn't really think I was, but, just to hear other people say it happens to them too is kinda comforting.

Thanks for the explanations anyways! :)

10. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

This is my guruji's teaching to me...

Experiences will always come and go, very moment there is an expereince, some pleasant, some unpleasant. Focus not on the experience itself, but on that in which the experience is taking place, that which illumines the experience, the Experiencer. Meditate upon that, that is your own true higher self.

11. NeoPascal

NeoPascal Member

What you are experiencing is simply another facet of the long dormant portion of the human brain that countrols the so-called ESP.
    Its nothing to worry about and perfectly normal. I do however reccomemnd looking into practicing lucid dreaming this should help to learn to control it and not be so afraid of it.

12. NeoPascal

NeoPascal Member

Michael.. that was amazing, like beautiful. are you a poet/song writer or anything?

13. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I agree, it was nice :)