What job did you have back in the '70s?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Idlewild, May 2, 2019.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Weylon. :p

Kris was the sailor, he was born upon the tide.

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Ah ha. It's been years since I heard the song.

C/S,
    Rev J

Irminsul likes this.
  3. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Although actually the sperm part of you wouldn't have existed in the 70s but the egg part of you would. You've made me want to conduct a survey to find out if men are more likely to think of themselves as the sperm and women the egg. Or maybe because we imagine the sperm as more "living".. It does the moving, etc.. Maybe we all think of that as being what we were. Interesting!

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, i do definitely associate myself more with the sperm than the egg. which is why i ignored the actual science for the purpose of that post.

i have no idea if that's because i'm male or not though.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I personally consider the possibility Undies may have been produced with exceptionally old sperm.
    Not at all, ignoring the actual science is typically female :-D

6. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

I worked as a construction equipment mechanic in the early '80s and a couple times I went to work still tripping after staying up all night doing LSD. That was a challenge. :)

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

My first job was to make it out of the womb safely.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Did that work out for you... or no?

snowtiggernd likes this.
  9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Sadly Methinks Not...:cry:...Everything Was Going Well Till HW Decided He Was Going To Make

An "Early Entrance"......The Doctor Was Caught Unaware...:screamcat:...HW Popped Out.....Slipped Through

The Doctors Hands......And Then Landed Head First On The Concrete Floor......

You Only Have To Read His Posts To See Proof Of That..... :D

Cheers Glen.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  10. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Caretaker for a cemetery and worked on the Family Farm. Friend and I worked on cars in our spare time.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Wow, you people are old! I read about it in the history books.

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Volunteering?

13. HarryD420

HarryD420 Members

"A little of this and a little of that." I lived cheaply without a job, but painted houses, delivered phone books, waited tables (with a short hair wig) and such. Then I began making copper enamel jewelry and traveling to craft fairs and music festivals. It was a great life!

etherea likes this.
  14. HarryD420

HarryD420 Members

I have a friend here doing that and I'm glad I bailed out of IE at Georgia Tech when I did. The plant my friend works in would drive me completely insane.

15. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

In the 80's and for the next 30 years, I worked in the space program as a NASA contractor, so my IE degree worked out for me.

16. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

School teacher, sports writer.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  17. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Dishwasher, laborer, gas station attendant, factory worker, construction worker... I think that's about it.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  18. Barry Mandelay

Barry Mandelay Banned

Had a job right out of high school working interstate highway billboards covering them up because the road wasn't open yet. The billboards were preinstalled along the road and then boarded over until the road opened. Let go when the last board was covered up. Went to work at a campground doing everything from parking campers to cleaning bath houses. Got pissed at the manager and was let go. Hired on as a farm hand on two large hog farms in the Midwest. Both family farms owned by a husband and wife. Did everything from planting and plowing, driving the combine at harvest, to birthing pigs. It was the hardest job I had yet very satisfying at the end of the long day. But the long days got to me so I left after a few years and hooked up with a concrete spraying outfit. The job sprayed concrete inside of smokestacks. It was there I realized I had gone nowhere in the last 5 years so the rest of the decade was dedicated to training for a real career. I worked my way through school at an implement dealer (back to dealing with farmers) and finally pumping gasoline before self serve took over. Finally got my degree and launched an engineering career while never looking back at all those dead end occupations.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Night-shift factory work, making auto parts in Daytona. Rental dune buggy mechanic in Daytona. Carpenter doing renovations in San Francisco. Crewing a salmon boat out of Sausalito. Crewing a 72' square-topsail schooner out of San Francisco.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    mysticblu21 likes this.
  20. wrat1

wrat1 Members

being a reckless, obnoxious young'un

mysticblu21 likes this.