What is the strongest benzo?

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by Gormur, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Gormur

Gormur Member

I've heard some say Valium is the strongest, but I can't find any legit sources. Is it an issue of one being stronger than another, or just that they work differently, for different forms of anxiety, stress, etc?

I'm taking Xanax, by prescription, but I don't think it's strong enough for me. It just makes me tired, doesn't relieve anxiety much, etc.

If there is a stronger/more effective benzo for me, what should I ask/tell my doctor in order to get it? Is there a benzo that helps with mild (disorganized) schizophrenia?

If anyone can answer this, I really appreciate it.

Cheers.

2. nofx1422

nofx1422 Member

I take it you dont mean most potent by stongest, as xanax is much more potent than valium. From what I understand xanax is more often prescribed for anxiety. Try valium, it lasts a lot longer, no matter what benzo you use you will get sleepy. If your Doc has already prescribed xanax then tell him why its not working for you and ask to get valium, or something else, instead

3. GAHeroinHead

GAHeroinHead Member

im on klonopin 2mgs..i went from valium to xanax to pins..they last longer and are stronger...no question about it..peaz -J

4. sam&ella

sam&ella Member

with benzos, it's not a question of "strongest". It's more a which lasts longer type thing. Xanax, @ 2 mg could give you the stupid feeling for a couple hours, max. Diazepam @ 20 mg could give you the stupid feeling for 6 hours.

short duration vs. long duration

5. Gormur

Gormur Member

Sweet. I just read about it on Wiki, too. Sounds good.

So maybe I should suggest I get this for my anxiety instead, since the Xanax doesn't seem to be working well for me. I just feel tired when I take it..no euphoria. I got euphoria from the Ativan, but it was short-lived.

6. Shocbomb

Shocbomb Member

There are tons of Benzos out there and alot I have not tried but I would have to say out of all the Benzos I have tried like Ativan,Valium,Restoril,Librium,Paxipam,and Xanex I would say Xanex kicks your ass the most from all I have tried. Ativan is also strong but it just knocks you out and puts you to sleep.

7. Gormur

Gormur Member

so maybe I should just try to get 2mg from the doc instead of this .5mg bullshit. I don't feel anything.

[​IMG]

The 2mg bar looks beautiful. I can't believe there's a .25mg pill. The .5mg one is so weak itself...

8. sheerwackiness

sheerwackiness Member

Your doctor may tell you that you're not supposed to 'feel anything' other than relief from anxiety after taking Xanax for a few days. I think that Xanax can relieve anxiety at much lower doses than those taken recreationally. For example, someone who's been prescribed a few milligrams of Xanax per day for a year or so may no longer feel sleepy or euphoric, but may very well be able to handle chronic anxiety better (some doctors are more willing to prescribe it for chronic anxiety than others). On the other hand, the same person, or another person with zero tolerance may take several milligrams on a night and have a wild time. Everyone's body and situation is different, so finding the right benzo for you may take some trial and error. I think that benzos are perhaps underprescribed in much of the world because doctors are afraid of the addiction potential, and people are afraid to ask for help when they need it. I wasted years of my life avoiding public speaking or speaking poorly because I was too nervous to ask for the medicine I needed. I still often give poor speaches, but they're slightly less terrifying and easier to forget.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Halcion is normally considered the most potent benzo.

Versed and Rohypnol are next in line.

10. floydfreak03

floydfreak03 Member

Nitrazepam hands down. hard (impossible) to find though.

11. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Nitrazepam may have a longer half-life but that doesn't have much to do with potency. If your going by that basis then valium would be much stronger considering it has a half-life of up to 200 hours. On a mg per mg basis halicon is king. It would take 10mg of nitrazepam to be approximatly equivalent to .5mg of Halicon. .125mg is a standard dose of Halicon and anything over .5mg of Halicon is considered unsafe.

12. sam&ella

sam&ella Member

comparing apples to oranges; nitrazepam is the rancho deluxe.

13. Caserock

Caserock Member

If you are looking to treat your anxiety - a low dose of xanax or klonopin would be where to start. The klonopin is a more subtle release over a longer period of time. A lot of people like this better because it keeps them on an even keel through out the course of the day. If you are looking for a high - depending on the dosage, xanax can knock you out ( and cause some serious memory loss! ). I've never really felt 'euphoria' from xanax; more like just a sense of well-being and relaxation. .5 mg is a pretty small dosage. If I take a full bar though, I feel really good and then pass out!

And I don't feel shit when I take valium.

14. JahRed24

JahRed24 Member

Daedalus you my friend stole the words right out of my mouth i swear i was about to write the exact same thing.. lol it seems like me any u are the only ones in these forums that actually have an extensive knowledge about different pills.

My friends Daedalus is 100% correct Halicon and Rohypnol (aka Flunitrazepam) are the two strongest benzos out there that u can get in pill form... I believe Versed is probably the strongest but its only used in hospitals and medical situations, i dont believe u can get prescribed Versed.. Oh and btw Flunitrazepam isn't legal in the USA so you can't get that either... Halcion i know is super strong but have never actually came across any before... i dont know much about these 3 benzos just that they are like the 3 strongest ones... But for realities sake Xanax is def. the strongest Benzo that your gonna actually beable to find living in the United States.

The weakest Benzos - not fun - kinda crappy - no euphoria really - I would say kolonopin and valium. The reason not many people abuse these 2 benzos is because they have such a long half-life and xanax has a short half-life... The shorter the half-life = the more potential for abuse and dependence. The longer the half-life = less potential for abuse and addiction.

Thats the truth my friends. i know my shit

Med. Student.

15. kudosdc

kudosdc Member

I used to take Xanax for anxiety after a series of panic attacks. It worked great for treating that issue, but I eventually I switched to clonazepam because of its very long halflife. Clonazepam has been just as effective, and is far more managable.

My main problem with Xanax is that one dose won't even last an entire workday, so dose scheduling must be strictly followed to avoid being over or under medicated. It can be a bit of a roller coaster. I also found Xanax easy to abuse, not for any so-called high , but because it was easy to take extra pills to deal with a stress or as a sleeping pill. I knew exactly how many pills to take on a plane trip so I could knock myself out for the entire flight and still be capable of functioning on arrival.

Clonazepam is useless as a sleeping pill, in my opinion. It is great because I can skip dosing for an entire weekend without any real problems. I have been taking the same dose of 1mg or less per day for five years. That's a pretty low lose and I've never felt the need to take more. I think it would be hard to take Xanax long term without escalating dose over time - clonazepam is almost the opposite.

16. sheerwackiness

sheerwackiness Member

Roofies are easy to get prescribed in my country (I hope I'm not challenging your monopoly on drug knowlege by bringing the discussion into an international context), but nobody really wants them. Other benzos are much more liberally prescribed here than in America too. It's damn near impossible to get pain meds when you need them though, and psuedoephedrine is illegal as well.
    I wonder if I sometimes sound as arrogant as you did in your post above.

Eng. Teacher.

17. JahRed24

JahRed24 Member

umm yeah how can you call me arrogant? cuz im far from it... u dont know me kid, btw what country do u live in? wait let me guess.... somewhere in Europe?

18. sheerwackiness

sheerwackiness Member

I'm in a small, developed, Asian country. I thought your post was arrogant because when mentioning another poster's comments, you said, 'it seems like me any u are the only ones in these forums that actually have an extensive knowledge about different pills'. Then there was the, ' i know my shit

Med. Student.' bit. I agree that there is an often comical lack of knowlege on this site, but I have never gotten the impression that you and Daedalus are the only ones with extensive knowlege about different pills.

While your writing style is clearly not ostentatious, it seemed a little condescending to presume that you have superior understanding of drugs. Then, you just called me, 'kid', which, yeah, in some American dialects, that's not rude to do up until the person you're adressing is about 25 years old, but in general, and certainly internationally, that would be considered an insulting breach of etiqette, and I'm 30. Rock on, though brother, it's all good.

19. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

I think he was just pointing out that we are probobly the 2 most frequent posters to this forum and we are always as accurate as we can be on the information we give when a majority of the people just post whatever comes to mind. A lot of the information these people give can turn out to be dangerous in how uninformed it is. Though I sometimes have a tendancy to mess with people who ask exceedingly stupid questions like how much tylenol then need to get high . . .

20. sheerwackiness

sheerwackiness Member

I hear you, I'd also like to point out that subjective replies are as important as objective ones, and since everyone's physiology is different, it's difficult to tell someone who prefers Valium to Xanax that, 'no, sorry, that's impossible, Xanax has a shorter half-life and is therefore more addictive, and if you think you like Valium better after trying both, you must be mistaken'. Personally, I prefer Xanax, but some people just like Valium better. I admit that I've twisted the words a bit here, but that's just to illustrate my point.