what is the single most thing that is making America corrupt?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by unionpacificrailroad, Jan 31, 2005.

1. unionpacificrailroad

unionpacificrailroad Member

Peace,

i think the consumer customer bussiness blend that started in the 50s and was attepted to be stopped got alot worse and is corrupting our youth!

later

the sleepy hipster

2. ahh...tea

ahh...tea Member

you mean corporate america? I agree plus societies pressure on people to be a certain way for example women and what means to be beautiful plus greedy people who pollute the world with advertisements and useless products to make people think they need to buy all this shit.

3. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Greed.

4. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Apathy

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

5. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

haha too easy

6. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

But also too true.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

8. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

That's exactly what I was going to say, I'll have to second that one.

9. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Combination of greed and apathy. :D

10. StarFaerie

StarFaerie Member

Don't forget materialism! (probably a subcatagory of greed huh?)

11. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Greed I guess. Materialism. Placing too much value on superficial things, when what should be valued is the planet and it's people. This can be applied to mankind in general, not just the US.

12. spooner

spooner is done.

Yeah... but US does it best.

I'm pretty convinced its advertising thats ruining the world... There's too much of it, and it has too much influence.

13. barefoot hippie

barefoot hippie Member

i think what is ruining the US is a bunch of old stupid white men that run the country
    based on greed and materialism and the ridiculous notion of manifest destiny~ the idea that the US will become the greatest country in the world because it is gods will
    stupid white men by micheal moore a great book and i reconmend that people read it
    the stupid white men need to be stopped
    what we need are more revolutionaries for the furture generations
    ~peace

14. spirit of69 skinhead

spirit of69 skinhead Banned

its hippies you are ruining the world

15. celeste

celeste Member

" It's a hard rain's gonna fall."Dylan. America has been such a greedy whore for a very long time! Yeah,greed AND apathy get my vote.....

16. Desert Stargazer

Desert Stargazer Member

Feeling that the world somehow "owes" us, and we can get off "cheaply" by exploiting others. ( Not all of us..but a collective Corporate/lazy bones mindset..of the Hedonist Clan)

17. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Capitalism has been corrupting America for a long time: the Robber Barons of the 19th century; union-busting in the early 20th; the banking and securities scams that helped bring on the Great Depression; the voodoo economics deregulation that paved the way for more scams; and the ability of Diebold et al to make proprietary claims on (intentionally?) buggy s/w that supposedly casts "our" votes.

18. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A loss of "soul" amongst many of the people...folks that have become so detached from what is real, what lives in the heart and soul...and the faulty attempt to replace that loss with material things..."if I get that brand new car, I will be complete, I will be "free" (look at all the car ads on TV these days...they all tout the idea of freedom or ultimate success as a person IF you buy their vehicle!)...trying to obtain in the outer world what can only be obtained from ones' inner Self...however you may choose to interpret that...

Good question, Union!

19. unionpacificrailroad

unionpacificrailroad Member

Peace Sus,

thank you. you have a groovy night :)

later

the tired flower child

20. freesue

freesue Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

[​IMG]

God its been a long time since I visited this old hippies forum. I got to missin' alot of you.

I came across this thread and had to reply. I don't believe it is a SINGLE thing that is corrupting America but a combination of things. I would have to agree that GREED is at the top of the list along with a thirst for power, name and fame, and all that is coupled with selfishness. If you really think about it I guess one could say that selfishness is the driving force behind all the others. What I want, what I need, what I desire, how I feel, we are so wrapped up in ourselves that we seldom have time to consider the wants or needs of others.