What is the rainbow family?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by Graham, May 8, 2004.

1. Graham

Graham Member

forgive my ignoranse but what is the rainbow family? when i first heard the name i assumed it was some kind of gay community but now i am not sure.

2. charredacacia

charredacacia Member

not gay. just open. go to welcomehome.org for info

3. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

It's an anomoly.

Ok...does this new funky system have spell check..cause I need it.

4. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

i'm not knowledgeable about rainbow family firsthand. does anyone know if there'll be a strong showing at bonnaroo so i can meet people and find out more about get-togethers, etc?

5. kayatree

kayatree Member

Hmm... don't know about Bonaroo, but I'm sure they'll be a few - hehe.

If you want to know more about the Rainbow Phamily, check out this website - http://www.welcomehome.org

That should help you out. :)

with love,
    kayatree

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't know, but they're fun to mock (as are all cliches).

That Simpsons episode were they parodied the Rainbow Nation cracks me up....

"Ribwich Nation" (ROTFL).

7. socialmachine

socialmachine Member

its just a bunch of hippies that go into the woods for a few days and get stoned

8. Graham

Graham Member

ok cool thanks :D

9. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

thats not it at all. we gather Because we love each other. We really do. Because we are creating something new and beautiful. Don't believe there's nothing new under the sun. This is as new ­ even 32 sweet years into it ­ as anything can be in the long­term development of human culture.
    Because we fold the vision of a peaceful world in our inner eyes ­ in our hearts and we make it real in this outside world.
    Because it is a thrill to experience a cooperative society.
    Because it is our great pleasure to live ­ even briefly ­ together in a state of expanded freedom.
    Because only when we take personal responsibility for the needs of each other ­ water, food, security, fuel, healing, child care and recycling ­ do we take mature responsibility for our lives.
    Because the children need something gentle and loving to look forward to.
    Because it is important to teach and learn as much as possible about human cooperation.
    Because we dream of gathering everywhere with people of all lands and traditions. As Paul Revere and Longfellow said, "in every middlesex village and town."
    Because we are fed up with war economy & economic exploitation & political over fording, and we want to try something else.
    Because under all the party­style wrapping paper, the gathering presents a very serious example of functional culture. .
    Because gathering teaches thousands of people, even tens of thousands, respect for the earth, the water, the plants & the animals.
    Because even the addicts, the dissolute, the spaced­out space cadets, the drunks who come are in need of love, and every society must care for its own.
    Because laughter, music, celebration and rejoicing in life are needed in this world in great measure
    because in our celebrations we make a hosanna of great joy.
    Because when we work together voluntarily we illuminate the way out from under the burden of the governments & the banks.
    Because gathering unifies ancient tribal wisdom with current ideas and technologies.
    Because people + nature eco­harmony = beauty
    Because when WC gather we bring to life a society without human prejudice. Because gathering inter nets people from all over the world who are actively participating in the conscious evolution of our species.
    Because when we gather we touch each other in a spiritual place where we are all part of one great bug human family.
    Because we want to inspire hope that it is indeed possible ­ and in fact plea .durable for people of all kinds to live in peace.
    Because the world needs to see a positive example and if we don't do it, who else will?
    Because outside of the money system we encounter the most generous human natures.
    Because light and life and love deserve to be celebrated by lots of us. Because when we hold hands in our circles we can feel the energy that moves the atoms and the moon and stars.
    Because our councils are open to everyone to speak, we hear ideas, poems, stories and wisdom from the seven corners of the earth.
    Because the work and play shops are educational the massage delightful, and the music rich with interlaced harmonies.
    Because our example supports the right of people everywhere to be free to assemble peaceably.
    Because in the simple relationships of cooperation and volunteerism are found the keys to the future.
    Because in doing the simple tasks, the underlying gears and levers that make society go are revealed
    Because when we work together in harmony our divine roots are revealed.
    Because it just great to see something large scale that doesn't belong to the giant corporations.
    Because gathering teaches us to have faith, to trust each other, to believe in good and goodness, and to have the strength ­ in the face of the rest of the world ­ to carry on.

10. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i think the rainbow family is beautiful. i heard they got banned from national parks though, is that true? if it is, that's really lame. i don't understand why you would want to ban a peaceful group of people that don't do anything wrong.

11. chandra anjali

chandra anjali Member

a big hug from a lot of lovely people with big smiling dirty faces
    and someone saying "no matter what, I'll love you for you!"

12. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I should be at Bonaroo, while on my way out to California for the Annual this year

13. WanderingturnupII

Even more fun when you've known them for over 10 years.

How many Rainbow hippies does it take to change a lightbulb?
    57 to council about it...21 to block consensus...5 to roll joints... 7 to pack bowls...1 to make the coffee...121 to just sit around and bitch...and someone to remind everybody that no one has paid a power bill since the Carter Administration....

14. WanderingturnupII

We've never done our thing in National Parks, administered my the Parks Service of the US Dept of the Interior. We have been fighting the US Forrest Service of the US Dept of Agriculture, which enforces permit restrictions on us which some folks find oppressive. How many of you are aware that the USFS has a Law Enforcement & Investigation Division? They say that they are out to illegal loggers and meth labs in the back woods, but in fact most of their budget goes for harrassing the Hippies

15. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

hey turnip, are you going through arizona at all? I would love a ride this year and I don't see any other way. I'm really tight on cash and don't really now anyone out here. I just moved from michigan. You know, looking for good people..

16. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

ill be going through arizona on my way to nationals via I-40. let me know if you need a ride. we have plenty of room.

~shine on in love and light~
    Sundance

17. Sunny.Fey

Sunny.Fey Member

Oh wow Terrapin! Thats the best way I've heard anyone describe it! NOw I wanna join lol! Isent there one in Oklahoma this year? I so need a ride if there is....

18. Exodus's Loki

Exodus's Loki Member

thats nots truee, its the national parks that we go to to gather, and welcomehome.org hasn't been updated in forever please to find more info on the rainbowfamily go here Http://welcomehere.org thanx

-Loki

19. Exodus's Loki

Exodus's Loki Member

wait arn't national park sand national forests the same thing?