What is the point of life??

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Scorpion88, May 17, 2004.

1. Scorpion88

Scorpion88 Member

Some times I feel everyday is the same, infact often, I feel that I shouldn't have been born!!
    Life is difficult I feel that its poiintless and envy peoople who seemto be enjoying it infact sometimes,I feel like the hamster on the wheel!!
    I wasn't born with amazing gifts, well not what I know of!!Apart from reproduction what is there,I have things I wan't to do, but I don't have a real lust for life.
    why is it that some people do , and others merely exist!!Life is what you make it, I know but thats not fair so in other words unless you are like the hamster that hapilly runs around its cage you are fckd!!

2. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

I think a common mistake made by most people is that we are suppose to have a purpose. Who says we need a purpose. We evolved over time. I guess the only reason we would even have a purpose is because Humans, unlike other animals and organism, have the Mind. The Mind is the most powerful tool known to man. This gives us the power to ask, "Why are we here?". So next time don't think of asking, "Why are we here?", but rather ask, "What can I do to make life a greater thing to all organism, not just my kind?".

Good luck with your journey of Life. :)
    -Peace

3. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

to play with God

4. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

You can take the blind existential leap that Mr. "Peace" recommends and try find fulfillment in an absurd impersonal universe, or you can humbly seek the truth of the Creator revealed to mankind in both creation itself and his spoken word:

http://www.antithesis.com/features/dignity.html

5. veinglory

veinglory Member

Everyone finds their own answer to that. I am fully atheist, but I found that working to help anaimals gave me a purpose. I trained in animal welfare and now work full time in that area. Everyone finds a purpose for themselves in different ways, but the world isn't necessarily going to assign one to you. Certainly helping others is a good one to pick regardless of your beleifs, and it doesn't require any special talents.

6. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

I think this is one of the biggest problems facing man in modern society. In a worl of fast food, suburbia and television we have forgotten exactly what life is. For billion of years life has struggled to get to this point without the ability to ask why. Breath in breath out, eat, sleep, drink and fuck. This is life... If you were to be dropped into the wilderness without shelter, food or company this would become all too clear. If you had to struggle even for a few days to really stay alive the menaing of life would reveal itself.

Beyond that however, I do beleive life has a purpose. Life has built itself more complex and more intelligent for billions of years and in terms of physics this just doesn't happen for no reason. The reason may be big - too big to see. Just like the effects we have on our world around us. Still every day you me and everyone else is goign to wake up and build the world of tomorrow. Your place in that? I am not sure... It's there though. The decisions you make, the things you buy, the work you do will make tomorrow what it is. It is an awesome responsibility and you shouldn't let looking for a purpose overshadow that.

7. Scorpion88

Scorpion88 Member

Thanks for your replies, I must apoligise, I had a drink last night but I suffer from depression all the time and these thoughts are always in my head I hate myself cause unless I'm going for a big goal I feel useless and bored . I have to have constant goal going on, wish I was lkike my elders who were happy rearing children and thats it, but I wan't to do something else I am a parent, and should feel that I have achieved the ut most with that but I don't

I will find my thing eventually just wish life wasn't so hard, Guess I am one of those peoople who has to work hard, I envy those people who were born confident and able to learn and do well academically, I have to study hard as it takes me a while to undestand things, and I am still trying to build confidence, but hey shouldn't moan I have my health

8. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

I remember that I also used to feel like that sometimes, like every day is the same. That you wake up, go to school/work come back and eat,drink,sleep and then the same drill all over again on the following day and on the weekends you tried to force your self to do something exciting but then I suddently found safety and meaning in my religion-islam- which says that any person who does good and belives will have a great reward and finnally I had something to strive for and it gave me all the meaning I needed.

40:40. "He that works evil will not be requited but by the like thereof: and he that works a righteous deed - whether man or woman - and is a Believer- such will enter the Garden (of Bliss): Therein will they have abundance without measure.

The meaning of life according to my religion is to worship the one and only God, but worshipping does not just mean bowing and prostating in prayer or fasting but also different good deeds such as treating ones wife well or ones parents or beeing of the truthfull and other things like that.

51:56. And I created not the Jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me.

9. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

The only point of life is to create more life. :D

10. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

the point of life is to be able to ask questions like "what is the point of life?" ...
    heh...

11. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Stop asking a pointless Question and Live..you Can come up with a Thousand Different Reason's for the Point ,but none of them Will Help you. Think about how you would like to live your Life ,Even if it Sound's Bizzarely Odd to most People's Standard's..and Do it.

12. Scorpion88

Scorpion88 Member

Yes I agree to your comment to an extent, however,sometimes I can't look at life with that attitude so easily, I suffer from depression, and I'm afraid that is how I feel somtimes like really black.

13. Andy73

Andy73 Member

Neurosis is when one is prevented from being oneself.

14. Scorpion88

Scorpion88 Member

What is meant by that, comment please?

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

why do people think life needs one? everything that exists is a thing that exists. our own self awair existence among them. the point of avoiding causing harm is so that the harm is not there to have to live with. the point of expressing ourselves creatively is that the compulsion to do so is the appearant and only thangably observable origen of our species' sentience. but existence is existence is existence. have you ever seen a rock or a tree take their own life because they thought their existence pointless? we live in an unimaginably vastly diverse univers. we may even be infant gods. we have an urege to create, and everything a potential to be created with, though again it is up to us to exercize the care to avoid causing harm, for our own mutual and individual sakes.

and there may be all sorts of nontangable forces and beings, potentialy our friends as well. but our world and our avoidance of causing harm is up to us. if there is a point, it is to create what for lack of a better term i'll call beauty, without harming more then we bennifit. if you think causing harm, or prioritising some belief or idiology ahead of the avoidance of doing so, will inprove your chances of eternity, i'm not putting any sidebets on your wager.

16. Woog

Woog Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Look at you. You're alive. You're aware. You have the rare
    opporitunity to exsist, even if it is for a limited engagement.
    Enjoy this little peak. Sha na na na na na, live for today.
    The only thing you have is now. Do everything you can to enjoy
    it as much as you can while not diminishing anyone elses enjoyment
    of life. Be good to you and everyone else. And you'll be happy baby!!!!
    That's all. Anything else you get, like fame, fortune or an afterlife
    are a lucky bonus. Don't make your happiness contingent on any
    of that. Be happy. :)

17. Scorpion88

Scorpion88 Member

I'd love to feel like that, but I guess I'm one of those people who can't be happy!!.Only today I feel I'm bored and not achieving enough. Nothing is enough for me, its crap and pathetic I know as today I am lucky to be not ingured as I sat on a bus and the window came through!! iF i'D BEEN SAT ON THE OTHER SEAT I'D BE IN HOSPITAL!!

I'ts infuriating as I just can't be happy, its so difficult, then again I could just be feeling like this as of pmt.

18. Andy73

Andy73 Member

I will comment on my previous post. This is, of course, my own theory and is incomplete; but it is not really a new idea. I am still thinking it through and considering the implications.

Ok, here goes

Adaptation can occur when one has a sufficient awareness of the reality of their situation. In other words, neurosis is less of a concern for one who is knowledgeable about the fact that they are under pressure to conform to a number of conditions which run counter to their truest inclinations. One still runs the risk of neurosis by neglecting one's nature.

When you take, for example, an artistically inclined child of a college educated family and you place that child in a town whose dominant population is blue collar workers you set the stage for neurosis. Neurosis is not inevitable, although it is nearly so, and the stage is none the less set. The child does not have a penetrating enough knowledge into his own nature - his truest inclinations and what he desires, and the values of his family - to consciously individuate himself from many groups and types of people, including his parents.

Among his peers, at school and everywhere, there will be a pressure to conform. The child does not yet have a firm conception about conformity. He will feel an unconscious pressure to abandon his nature, as it were. And because this pressure is unconscious - meaning that the child feels something which he cannot identify - the child does not clearly articulate it and prescribe for himself a logical course of action or mode of adaptation but instead develops a neurosis.

The dominant culture is, in a sense, not allowing the child to become himself.

The dynamic that I have described in the above paragraph is in overly simplified form. I believe this same dynamic plays a large role in everyone's life in much more complex ways and on higher levels than in the simple case of a child placed into a culture that runs counter to his nature. In essence, the problem faced by everyone is in acquiring their own values as opposed to those they were raised with, inculcated with, i.e. finding oneself. If you have not found yourself, the stage is always set for neurosis; and, in fact, neurosis is part of finding oneself.

19. Woog

Woog Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Whoa, so this kid born to a college educated family has a higher artistic
    nature and would become nuerotic when exposed to blue collar people.
    I'd suggest that in order to better formulate your theorum you should
    move out of the suburbs for a spell. Neurosis is caused by a longing
    for more in your life. Not more money or education. Certainly class
    predjudice can make you nuerotic but often a middle class whelp
    exposed to the blue collars of the world will grow from the experience.
    Artists and sculptors work with their hands and being exposed to them
    would not guarentee neurosis. More likely it would open you to greater
    possibilities. Finding yourself involves discovering what makes YOU
    happy and doing that thing. That thing can be brick laying or brain surgery.
    Whatever floats yer boat.

20. Scorpion88

Scorpion88 Member

Interesting, that kind of goes with research on people who suffer from depression, as I do have creative minds . Winston Churchill, called it the black dog, and when he felt this way used to build brick walls or paint.

it is interesting to me, however I haven't found my niche as yet, and that often distresses me.
    I've a feeling eventually as I believe in our path being laid out I will find my way, and as long as I keep trying different paths I will get there!!Cheers