what is the best way to learn spanish without taking a class or buying a product

Discussion in 'Spanish' started by pit pat, Aug 31, 2012.

1. pit pat

pit pat Member

I want to learn spanish but i can't get in a class and i don't want to buy rosetta stone or some crap like that? what should i do? I have no one to practice with. would it help if I watched spanish television? any suggestions?

2. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

you could try downloading babel,pp.
    it's free and it gives you a good headstart with common phrases etc.

3. MattB

MattB Member

Try to find an international student at a local university. They would help you with spanish, you would help them with english. Everybody wins

4. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Speak with spanish people.
    If you already know a little and/or are able to understand from context, then yes.

5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

the library but if your in a heavy spanish area like me the line for a book, cassette, whatever is ridiculously long.

6. Perilless

Perilless Member

You could always download a pirated version of rosetta stone from piratebay or somewhere similar...its relatively easy to do and its a very useful programme, i found it very effective.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

thumbs up if you looked up dora the explorer in spanish to see if she taught english..

8. Ely North

Ely North Member

Move to Mexico and join a drug cartel. You'll have to learn Spanish, or you'll die.

That's some great motivation to learn!

2 people like this.
  9. Rainbowspice

Rainbowspice Guest

Listen to Spanish music and sing along to it. Watch Spanish movies with Spanish subtitles. That way you'll see the image and hear the words and put two and two together. Read Spanish children's books before bed. That's how I taught myself to speak English :)

Toker and StellarCoon like this.
  10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

If You Are In The Financial Position To Do So, Take Two Or Three

Weeks Holidays In Spain.

Mix With The Locals, Absorb Their Culture, And Their Language...:).

Cheers Glen.

11. busuu.com is free! Watching tv will not be helpful if you are a complete beginner. Try to find a spanish speaker in your area to converse with - put an ad in your loca lfree paper or newsagent or whatever. Where there's a will there's a way ;)

12. Meagle

Meagle Member

The best way if you know some Spanish, is to move on hollydays to a spanish speaking country, the closer you can find, or the one you like, then, in Madrid at last, there are "spanish for foreigers" courses, or just look in Facebook or so to make friends there, then go and use spanish all day long

Something wrong we do in Spain is sending lots of kids to the UK, to big towns or so, then they get along with other spaniards, and they barely use and learn english. You need to be isolated of any english speaking people, so your brain focus on understanding the new language, if posible look for a small town there it will be dificult to find people who speak english

Gwyneth Paltrow Learned spanish in Talavera de la Reina, she´s good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byr8btvA-E8
    [​IMG]

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

to the person that said television is no good...true. but kids television is a different story. just look at sesame street. they say the word then show a picture of it. its hard to not know the word after that. of course i dont know if there is a spanish sesame street so it could be you are correct because of that. and also to the people suggesting taking a 2 week vacation????? if someone dosnt want to spend a couple hundred on rosetta stone then why would they spend a couple thousand on a vacation to learn less than they would from the software program.

14. zenloki

zenloki Member

get a job on a landscape crew and carry a translating dictionary.

15. Meagle

Meagle Member

In Spain we have 3 free chanels Clan, Boing and Disney Chanel just for kids, we have Los Lunnis, Sesame Street like, i can´t tell if we still have Sesame Street, when i was a kid we had Barrio Sesamo and also Los Fragels. The best moment to learn is when you are a kid, but if no one in the house speaks a bit of spanish dont try it, a bilingual, trilingual scool if afordable it would be better.

a 2 week vacation?????

just 1 from time to time, traveling by plane is cheaper every minute, i can go to lots of places in the nearest half of Europe or 1500 miles for just about 100$

16. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

This.

17. leeds85

leeds85 Member

Hire a Mexican maid called Conchita, pay her $2 an hour and get here to talk in Spanish to you all day. Or watch some vids on you tube for talking/listening practice, and search for key nouns and verbs for some grammatical grounding.

suerte

18. I will say it again busuu.com is an excellent language learning program and it's free!

19. ElOso

ElOso Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You learn it by watching cartoons in Spanish. Like you learned english by learning to think in the language. Talk with people, that way you pick up the slang. If you try to learn it out of a book it is too perfect and sounds funny. I am bilingual, born in Cuba. As u start recognizing objects and making the mental picture with the sound you would be surprised as to how fast u progress.

ElOso:2thumbsup:

20. paroofczak

paroofczak Guest

Hi!

We created Lingling - free app for language learning designed for Android phones. With it you can learn about 750 words of foreign language per month! Until now we released several versions: for learning Spanish, English, Thai, Chinese, German and French. You can download it for free by clicking this link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Hepilabs&hl=en

Our application becomes a hit and now it is being used by over a million people all around the world! We are constantly working on its improvement and that is why I would like to know what you think about LingLing. Is there anything you would like to change in it?