what is it that attracts you to new age?

Discussion in 'New Age' started by cerridwen, May 17, 2004.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

What was it that got you started in all of this new age stuff? :confused:

For me, I've always found it interesting, for as long as I can remember... But mainly I think that initially it's so different from what I was raised with (catholisicm) and things like wicca gave me insight on the world around me that I couldn't find with what I was raised with...

2. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

I think alot of new age beliefs are just things that science doesn't yet have a rational explanation for. I think quantum physics will someday provide many of the answers. Today's mysticism may be tomorrow's science.

3. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

I've looked into it but found little I can actually use. New age Tarot is good, most likely for it's associations with mytho-poetic and Jungian archetypes (which I love). But most of those whom I know that are into New Age stuff aren't very knowledgeable and tend to believe everything they read. You'd be suprised how many "New Agers" actally think of The Mists of Avalon as an historical document (I know I was). The hardcore Pagan/Wiccans I know usually refer to new age practitioners as "crystal squeezers" (a derrogatory term, in theri eyes). Dont get me wrong, I love crystals, candles and artwork with faeries, but there seems to be very little beneath the surface of most "New Age" beliefs that couldn't be studied in more depth and with more accuracy under a different tradition (i.e. Pagan/Wiccan, Zen Bhuddhism, Tao, etc.) and the "New Agers" that I know seem to be completely ignorant of this.

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Know1.... I've seen you use the term "mytho-poetic" a few times.... what does that term mean? I've never seen it before...

5. know1nozme

Well, myths are composed of symbols which must be broken down and understood in the context of those whom they were meant to connect with. We, in the modern age, often have trouble understanding the messages behind our ancient myths because we no longer have the same connection with the symbols. Todays writers in the "mytho-poetic" vein are atempting to find new symbols which are more relevant to modern society. When I write about the "mytho-poetic" though, I am referring to as the art of constructing (or de-constructing while reading) myths as a delivery system for metaphysical concepts. The power of myths is located in their symbols and the interactions between their archetypes. Religious and philosophical concepts are very difficult to put into words because they are trancendent concepts - words cannot completely capture or relate them, they are too ambiguous, too easily misunderstood. That is why we rely on symbols and archetypes. These are also ambiguous, but they sepak to our minds in a different way and we can often identify the meanings behind the symbols easier (if we are raised in a culture where those symbols still hold the same meanings).

I hope that helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

6. know1nozme

Oh yes, the connection to poetry... Forgot about that. Poetry also communicates ideas on a level that transcends normal language or prose. It also seeks to create connections between the reader/audience and the symbols it incorporates. Many written myths are poetic in nature, often they started out as poetry, or in a poetic form.

7. Cloudminerva

Cloudminerva Member

I was attracted to the world of New Age by the music. I later started to study on the philosophies. I have truely come out a stonger person and much freer. I consider it important to relax with David Arkenstone or Medwyn Goodall. It really focuses you.

New Age encompasses many genres together... Rock, Folk, Jazz, and World. New Age isn't stereotypical as it has been in the past. New Age to me is more of an attitude most times rather than strictly a genre or a sound, but I think that it is so radical for a lot of people (with the mythological themes, mysticism, and freedom of creativity) that it really does sort of create it's own barrier. It's great stuff, though.

Peace,
    Ben.

8. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Believe it or not, I've loved the music throughout highschool, I was the only one I knew who listened to it...

9. Cloudminerva

Cloudminerva Member

Oh, yea. It's hard to find people who really are into it, especially where I live. everything is so stereotypical around here that stores might classify Christian gospels as New Age.

Ben.

10. Anistara

Anistara Member

What does New Age mean to you?

How would you best define New Age and what principals pertain to the New Age?

Just wondering...

11. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

What do you mean? I thought that the term New Age is pretty universal in its meaning... isn't it?

12. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

Sheer intellectual curiosity. Plain and simple.
    The fact that more traditional belief systems don't really answer my questions.

13. Cloudminerva

Cloudminerva Member

I didn't really mean that Christian gospels can't be New Age. I was just giving an example of the way things are in my hometown. You can't get any David Arkenstone or Prem Joshua around here. :)

To me New Age is anything honest, relaxing, organic, earthy, tribal, trippy, hypnotic, trancey, and ancient fusing with the contemporary. There are some great New Age muscians out there... great guitarists...

Peace,
    Ben.

14. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

I wouldn't say I'm "New Age"... at this point, IF i identified as anything (and that's a big dirty "if," my friend) it would be as a hippy-humanist. Organized, monotheistic religion doesn't feel me, you know? It's so focussed on some big guy in the sky (who frankly, is a *bit* of a hypocrit) and making money, to convert other people to the big man in the sky. Personally, I believe we are here on earth to help eachother, not hinder eachother with labels. Religon is a powerful thing, for good or for evil, and I have trouble with something like that, that is so black-and-white. You never hear someone in a church position saying "I don't know." It's always "God says so" or "The Bible (or insert other holy book) says so"... honestly, I don't buy it. Anyway... that's a rant, and violently off-topic, and I apologize lol I get rambly when I get tired. Beliefs without limits rock!

15. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

If you're initially intrigued by the music or by curiosity, that's fine. But did you ever stop to consider whether the philosophy you believe in is actually TRUE?

New Agers - many of whom disdain traditional religion - usually fall into the same belief patterns as their Christian and Jewish counterparts. New Age is no different than any other religion in that its believers adhere to irrational beliefs in the absence of evidence.

16. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

Nope, I'm not going to get into an insult contest with a troll. Whoever is in charge of this forum, please ban this guy (look at his other posts for ample reason to do so). I think he's Karl Hungus reincarnated.

That's all I've got to say on the subject, and I will not continue this conversation with you, Stan.

17. sassure

sassure Member

"New Age" is so open-ended these days.....I like to think that a "new age" philosophy is one which has as its goal accessing a higher consciousness.

18. Mesektet

Mesektet Member

Simple curiousity when i was about 6 or 7...

19. Holg

Holg Member

What exactly is "New Age"? And what are "New Agers"?

I've been wondering about this a bit recently, and I am having trouble separating New Agers from what the Hippies were doing in the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Age versus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippy

To tell the truth, I am still not entirely clear on the subject. It seems to me, as if New Agers were a subgroup of Hippies and that the groups of New Agers and Hippies still overlap in many areas, especially as far as religion, mysticism, magic and so on are concerned.

Can anybody shed a bit of light on this one?

Peace,

Holg

20. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

ah, I just think some of you guys are really overthinking this whole issue.