What is Hell?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by skip, May 8, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I'd like to hear from Christians what is their idea of Hell. Please provide as much detail as possible. Again, no bible quotes, I want to know from your own HEART what you think Hell is like.

2. broony

broony Banned

Im no christian but i heard its a place where you sit around a camp fire for a few hundred years and roast hotdogs.

3. daisy_chain

daisy_chain Member

Hell is a place without God. In my opinion, it couldn't be worse than that. It's somewhere we're punished for our sins, because we all deserve it, and God can't stand sin. References to fire, again, are all biblical in nature, or deriving from the bible.

4. *Atari*Love*

*Atari*Love* Member

Hell is reliving our worst moments over and over again
    not so much a burning brimstone but being scared, lonely ... colors gone grey
    no tears to satisfy your pain
    not so much actually being alone but not being able to respond to others or get them to respond back
    real torture lies in our hearts

5. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

hell man is within so is heaven man a journey of a soul .......if you can show peace and love then your in heaven man :) :spliff: its about individuality not christianity .

6. *Atari*Love*

*Atari*Love* Member

considering Skip asked "us" to answer from our own hearts that's what I tried to do

But honestly I'm not sure I should have responded because I don't consider myself a christian.

7. skip

Very true. We torture ourselves all the time, no? Why would we need to go to a place called "hell" for that to happen?

BTW, I'm surprised no one has quoted Dante yet...

8. daisy_chain

daisy_chain Member

Christians are forgiven all sin. That's what Jesus was for.

9. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

there is no such thing as hell. well, actually, its earth.

10. *Atari*Love*

*Atari*Love* Member

I like this one...

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis"

we should only fear ourselves..
    I was raised in a christian home and I was taught to believe that God was vengeful and that once you made a mistake or bad choice he would unleash his wrath... then later on in life they said all your sins are forgiven and all you need do is ask. That leads to a great deal of confusion. I believe that if there is a God and he truly gave us free will that's when Hell was made.

11. daisy_chain

daisy_chain Member

I'm saying Christians do sin, it's human nature. It's not ok, but it happens, and Jesus died for the sins He knew we would commit.

12. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Regardless of which religion is correct, if any, I am sure there is a hell. As far as what hell actually is.......it makes sense to me that hell is simply the eternal realization of your greatest individual fears and regrets.

13. ripple

ripple Member

I thought you were from America but just noticed your from Scotland. Hello from Aberdeen :)

14. TopNotchStoner

I'm a semi-christian......sorta, and I agree with you. Christians take for granted what jesus actually stands for and sin all day because they think it doesn't matter in the end, because of forgiveness. I'm a fuckin sinning mofo and I've accepted the fact that, if the bible is even remotely accurate, I'm on my way to hell because I'm not begging for forgiveness for shit that I knew to be wrong when I did them.

I call myself a christian because I believe in the existance of Jesus, God, and all that shit. I have faith in the sense that I believe in their existance, but that's where my faith ends, because I question God's motives for creating us. We're just here for his amusement, as far as I can tell. We're probably nothing more than a kind of "ant farm" or soap opera for god's entertainment.

15. skip

TopNotch, you hit on an interesting point that comes up again and again. Why would such a LOVING GOD, put his creations thru such misery? What's he get out of the deal? People who love him based on FEAR of death, satan, hell? Is that what it takes to coax LOVE from human beings? If so God must be very, very disappointed.

But then again, I'm often disappointed with God too! ;)

16. TopNotchStoner

That's my point eggzakly. He really had no reason to create us, other than for his own entertainment and amusement. Based on what I've seen and if God truly exists, he's not a loving god......more like a tyrannical dictator who HAS to have things his way, or he casts us into hell....or just makes our lives a living hell. Sure, he gives us the power of choice, but when we don't make the choices he wants us to make, we're penalized for it, whether it's what felt right for us to do or not.

17. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

like I said, there is no such thing as HELL. hell is on earth. if they said there is no such thing as hell, then people would commit sins because they have nothing to fear. its just a fear tactic, and keeps people from killing each other or committing bad acts. if you read some of the forbidden gospels, you will see this. jesus had this knowledge as well, and bestowed it upon judas, but of course they (and Im talking of the popes and bishops of the time) called it heracy, and banned it from the bible....

18. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

because GOD isnt the one making laws upon the earth. its people like you and I. and like I said its a fear tactic, and keeps people within the church.

19. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

dont blame god for the way religion acts.

20. daisy_chain

daisy_chain Member

God is loving, but He hates sin, so we are destined to constantly disappoint Him. How can He not be a God of love? He sent His son to suffer agony, so that we could be righteous in His sight. Yes hell is awful, and I can't claim to understand God, but He did offer us an escape.

Ripple, hi, I'm originally from Newcastle, but I live in Edinburgh now, and it's amazing :)