What is ego death?

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by Sam_Stoned, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

I don't think I've ever experienced it. Tell me about some of your experiences.

2. OneChordWonders

OneChordWonders Member

3. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Thats amazing. I've defiantly touched the surface of that, but pushed away. My ego is very important to me. I think I've played a more conscious role than most people in forming it.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready for ego death, and contradictabley feel like it's exactly what I need.

4. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

lots of threads here about it, most of them in the subforums like LSD and Mushrooms.

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=392594&f=117

The "me" who the ego is important to is the ego.

How so?

5. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

I've spend a lot of time thinking about my weaknesses and personality traits that weren't working out for me. Put a good deal of effort into trying to rewrite myself to better adapt.

Most of my insights we're probably very flawed, and most of my 'self fixing' didn't go at all the way I intended, but it certainly made a very deep impact.

The way I think ties my brain in knots. it gets confusing to say the least. Ego death could be my salvation or it could be what sends me over the edge.

6. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

How is something that is nothing but a momentary reset going to be your salvation?

7. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

the best work you'll ever do on your ego will be after it dies and comes back.

8. neodude1212

well writer you know what mooji would say
    who is doing the work?

9. forfun

forfun Member

That article is incorrect.

Ego is the "me." It's the distinction between "self" and "not self." Without ego, there's nothing because there is nothing to distinguish from anything. No separateness. Ego is beyond "person." It's the very first idea or notion.

What is experienced in a trip is the thinning of the ego, which inherently is an expansion of awareness of the individualized consciousness, because some of the constriction is gone. Frequently the feeling in a trip is "I'm dead." Sometimes this is scary, other times wonderful depending on the person. But it's not truly ego death. It's just a momentary dissipation of the ego. The feelings of "I" and "this is" are still present, just in a seemingly expanded state (seemingly because there is nothing to expand or contract in the first place).

True ego death is permanent (unless the infinite wants to incarnate as ignorant again) and is sometimes known as enlightenment, though that term is very seldomly explained accurately.

Even omniscience is not enlightenment since knowing is a constituent of the mind, and mind is simply another word for ego.

This is a lengthy discussion at any rate, so enough of that haha.

10. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

ego works to fix ego

[​IMG]

11. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Salvation was coming on strong. I was thinking it could help me understand myself better. Maybe help me stop lying to myself (as ever human alive does to an extent).

I'm a good person by nature, if I could get over my bullshit I feel like that would come more to the surface.

12. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

I was just watching 'Antichrist' and saw William Dafoe's dick; and I'm pretty sure in that moment my ego (along with my libido) died.

13. SunshineChild

SunshineChild Mad Scientist

haha Grim.

anyway, the thing about psychs is, they aren't going to 'enlighten' you. They are an aid, not a practice. they help bring things to the surface to address, but don't fix them. they are 'contemplation' rather than 'meditation'.

14. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

I actually agree with you. They can be used as a tool I believe, just because they change your thought patters so drastically. But there is no saying weather that is a positive or a negitive thing.

I'm over thinking it. I'm just gonna go back to enjoying the ride. :D

15. neodude1212

so there is nothing to fix at all

16. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

business as usual :)

17. shermin

shermin Bazooka Tooth

vape 30mg 5-meo-dmt.

that's egodeath.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

i thought this green goblin dick.. then I lold..

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I have to disagree with you. While it is temporary, tripping can cause complete ego death, even by the standards you stated. Like shermin said 5 Meo dmt can cause it. I have also lost complete sense of ego or "I" on ketamine and salvia. Maybe you have yet to tread those dimensions yet.

20. SunshineChild

SunshineChild Mad Scientist

I think it's all subjective, like anything else with the psychedelic experience. I experienced what can be called 'ego death' my first time ever tripping.