What is a true statement?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by neonspectraltoast, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The sky is blue because it reflects the ocean
    The ocean is blue because it reflects the sky.

Well, something there, is bullshit lol.

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  2. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Real truth is consistent, rational, factual and logical. True statements must be provable and replicable. You're lying to yourself if you create categories of "truths", "absolute"or "can't disprove". Not being able to disprove something that can't be proven in the first place, is nowhere near actual fucking truth! "God is real", is not a fucking truth! Holy fuck sticks!! "Most humans BELIEVE in God", is a true statement. "Humans are delusional and have flawed and selective memories", is a true statement. "The power of suggestion can convince people to believe lies", another true statement. These facts can be proven time and time again in clinical tests. "People dream when they sleep", is a true statement. Unless your brain is defective, you experience dreams when you sleep. Just as you have experienced for years, you can expect to experience it tomorrow and the next day. You can confirm with other humans that dreams are a common experience among human beings. You can (hopefully) recognize the difference between dreams and reality, because reality is consistent and dream worlds are a total mess.

A total fucking mess... fantasies and lies and non truths are total fucking messes. They contradict, they are irrational. Gods and religious beliefs are contradictory, total fucking messes, non truths.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  3. Flashdown

Flashdown Members

4. I suppose they could do DNA testing to see whose child I was. But there's the whole problem of perception, as you said. It could be that we are mistaken completely about what objective reality is like. So how do we ever tell the truth?

That said, there are courts of law governed by a shared objective reality that we all abide by (most of us, anyway.) What is to be said for that reality?

I suppose I should have included in the original post that this all assumes objective, shared reality is a thing. In that instance, a thing which does exist can't possibly be known with absolute certainty to be a falsehood. And preponderance of evidence is a thing, too.

I just think you can be aware without thinking. There are times when I'm not thinking and I still am. I'm never thinking clearly and I always am, so what does that tell you?

I'm more interested in objective truth, because I think it actually does tell you what is happening, and it doesn't matter that your senses could be so hopelessly limited that you can't be certain you truly exist in objective reality at all. The phrase "The sky is blue" means something. "The sky is tiddlywinks" means nothing.

5. It really all depends on whether it is possible or impossible that there is a God. Why is it impossible?

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

'The sky looks blue to me' is probably safer than 'the sky is blue'.

7. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

In the oldest religion Zoroastrianism God is just truth. Then as new religions stemmed out of it all had to have their own god with different descriptions. Ahura Mazda just means Being Mind. Sometimes the simplest is the best.

8. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I think there’s objective truth and subjective. If I believe something to be true, but can’t prove it, I’ll still feel that it’s true. But then there are truths that I automatically accept because it is what I have been taught, like 3 + 3 = 6.

Perhaps if I believe something to be true, it’s true. Perception is everything?

9. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Do you want to talk about truths or probabilities?

If the only evidence for Gods are contradictory and anecdotal then they can't rationally be called a truth. Gods are on pretty much every side of every war that ever was. The only rational conclusion for the existence of Gods is that Gods only exist in the minds of the believers. "Gods exist in the minds of theists", is the only honest logical true statement.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

one which is consistent with something outside and beyond the limits of the desires of our own egos.
    one which can be independently verified by a really large number of observers who have nothing else in common and no motivation in common to do so.
    (and is not directly contradicted by what can be independently observed and verified by an even larger number of them)
    (this is also called science)

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

actually there is one other, it is that:

a; (IF they should actually choose to exist) they have little or nothing actually to do with anything,
    and
    b; they owe nothing to what anyone tells anyone else to think they know about them.

i could also say i'm fond of the idea that something like them might exist,
    or that one told me in a dream it had no actual wish to be feared,

but then these last two statements are only slightly broader the your "gods exist in the minds of theists".

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

But what do you mean , Sir ?

Just what I said , no more - no less . Perhaps
    you do not accept the context .

Can't you speak more pointedly ?

Yes ... ztee .

What ?!!!

ztee has one meaning - "exactly this word" . It is true , and shall
    be the essential context of honest communication .

13. I disagree. I think there must be a coincidence between what you think is true and what is actually true in order for it to be "the truth."

themnax likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

In 2020 there'll be an olympic games.

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

That's a prediction based on statistics...not necessarily true.

There were no Olympic games in 1916, 1940, and 1944.

16. I want to talk about truth and possibility. God is infinitely a possibility, which blurs the line of truth, because only true things are possible, it could be said.

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Dropping a boulder on your head will kill you is an absolute truth. If anyone disagrees challenge them to a game of Russian roulette, boulder style. Just be sure that they go first.

18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

If you do it on the moon you may remain unscathed. (Depending on the size of the boulder.)
    A small boulder on the moon weighs 198.41 pounds.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah but there's going to be one in 2020, you watch and see.

20. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The truth is, gravity doesn't suck. She's actually quite lazy, refuses to do a damned thing, and just lays around like a corpse until you hit her, but she can never get enough.