What is a hippie?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Deleted member 309843, Jun 22, 2019.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

"my self" could be what a person does for a living, as in I'm a guitar player or a trucker.
    "my self" could be a tough guy image, as in a Marine who was in Fallujah.
    "my self" could be an identity adopted so one could fit-in with a particular group of socialites.
    Back in the 1970s my friends saw the advent of the first credit cards. We called them "Plastic Money" and later used the term "Plastic" to define fake people … people who presented a "my self" to you which was basically a deception. That could mean a deception of themselves (fooling themselves) or like a used car salesman who would tell you anything to get you to buy the car. So, to me a true "my self" is at the end of a Buddhist quest to discover one's own true self by learning to see the world clearly. You will not see the world clearly if you keep looking at all the capitalist advertisements on the Telly. They are made to deceive you and get you and your "manipulated my self" to buy that nice SUV so the pretty girl on the beach will come to ride with you, or maybe you can bee a cool dude who makes great shots on the pool table before you go and drive your sports luxury car. No long ago, the cigarette companies sold the Cowboy image to men and the modern image to women.

2. stormountainman

Hey Neo, are you a Coastie?

3. That is exactly what my point be.
    we should reject stereotypes
    we should reject all images manufactured for us
    we shouldn't allow ourselves to be deceived
    neither should i be deceived by my self or by another
    we should get to know ourselves & eachother
    honestly
    succinctly
    even evil must show its face
    so that the free people may stomp it/or radicalize it into a beam of sunshine, sharp as a sword
    according to what is best for their common pursuit of happiness & health

4. Nope. Landlocked midwesterner.

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Hippies are salt-of-the-earth, which is why they never fit in with Barbie and Ken.

Duncan likes this.
  6. maybe someday i'll start a colony

7. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

That is why the self is constantly growing. Some people have this notion that peace, incense, hanging plants, and walking around without shoes is what the individual is all about. For me, hippie living addresses public health, environmental occupational health, human welfare, animal rights, and social justice. This is just a small portion of the whole.
    Yes, I like to be with other like-minded people and if those people choose to identify as hippie, I use that as an identifier for someone who might be strongly aligned with my likes and beliefs.
    I've discovered a number of users here who are not hip or hippie by any sense of the terms. They fling out hurtful, mean-spirited venom that they direct at individuals and entire groups.

8. stormountainman

I agree. I have noticed over the last say 50 years many "Conservatives" calling Muslims "Camel Jockeys" and "Sand Niggers" and "Rag Heads" and I have noticed the same calling Mexicans "Greasers" and "Criminals" and these same self proclaimed conservatives call Gay men "Weak Faggots" but I have also noticed that Muslims are smart people who get elected to Congress, and Mexicans can rise from poverty to be elected to become mayor of San Antonio and I have noticed gay men can rise to become the governor of Colorado.

9. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

And hopefully one to become the President of the USA !

GLENGLEN and stormountainman like this.
  10. stormountainman

I might vote for Pete, in the primary. If he is the Democrat nominee I will support him with cash and my vote. He's from Malta -- origins -- and I went to school in Malta for three years way back in the sixties. I'm older than Pete's father. I'm older than most judges on the supreme court. I'm older and smarter than Mike Pence!

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Something from the sixties.

12. an ole buddy of mine dude

13. Who is hippie? *

What is a ?

ur making a human being sound as if they are a object....

what is a human being other than a human being??

14. what is a ..................... ???

15. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

If adoption of Asian perspectives and practices defines a hippy, then you can say that everybody in the world who uses mathematics is a hippy.

Basic mathematics, with its numeral system, zero , arithmetic, trigonometry came up in India, which revolutionised moden science and technology, commercial accounting and made the binary system used by all computers possible.

Indian mathematics is actually the philosophical conceptions of the Sankhya philosophy of Hinduism and Shunyata philosophy of Buddhism.

Sankhya means number and Shunyata means emptiness or zero numerically speaking.

The arabs learnt it from the Indians, expanded upon it and transferred the knowledge to the west.