What illegal drugs are turned into pills and how is it done?

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by Boiler, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Boiler

Boiler Member

Hi...could you walk me through a basic drug manufacturing process for ...lets say?...ecstasy...or.. something similar...ultimately...how is it turned into pill form? Thank You!!

2. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

just thumb through the "cookbook" section of shulgin's PIHKAL...

as for pressing pills, a pill press is often used...

3. Boiler

Boiler Member

yup.....I know about the pihkal and tihkal books...the amazon reviews on them isn't too good....don't know if their really worth the money ..right now!!....I'm actually a beginning chemistry student......I've always been fascinated with organic chemistry...maybe it's the dark side that draws me to it ? or....at least what our judicial system says is the dark side...human beings can make a dark side out of just about anything.....anyways...appreciate the advice!!

4. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

well...
    you have a computer...
    and the "cookbook sections" of pihkal & tihkal are widely available online...
    there's enough "recipes" there to keep you going for a while...
    and rhodium's chem site is mirrored over at erowid - plenty of chemical syntheses there as well...
    usually just a click or a utfse away...

5. khronus

khronus Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, Shulgins books are awesome...and im not a chemist. I have tihkal and the first half is great reding for chemist or non chemist alike. The 2nd half is lost on me but if you're a chemistry student i think as your knowledge grows you will find more and more interest in the reciepe side of his books.

K

6. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

As far as the manufacturing of pills goes, the active ingredient is mixed with substances called binders and excipients, which help hold the pill together, and help it dissolve when swallowed. Starches, talc, chalk, etc. are all used here. Various coloring agents are added if desired, and all the ingredients are mixed together very thoroughly. Then the mixture is loaded into a machine called a "pill press" or "tableting machine", which divides the mixture into individual dosage amounts, and compresses them in tiny molds under thousands of pounds of pressure.

7. Mui

Mui Senior Member

you can put any drug in a pill, silly boi

8. EllisDTripp

Really? Gimme some nitrous oxide pills....:)

9. AceAzamean

AceAzamean Member

Your hand would freeze off the second you held it, a nitrous oxide pill would have to be really really cold to stay solid.

10. euroherbs

euroherbs Member

The most ease and cheap way is buying empty capsules and small encapsulation machine.

11. euroherbs

euroherbs Member

For NO2 also a small ballon is ok.

12. EllisDTripp

NO2 would most likely dissolve the balloon on contact.

N2O is a different matter.....:)

13. Bopper

Bopper Member

ive seen dried shrooms turned into tabs with a tabbing machine ....they look like tabs of bakers yeast available in all good pharmacies