What i beleive in...and your beleifs.

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by bluediablo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. famewalk

famewalk Banned

Now, I thought you were the guy in the picture.

2. bluediablo

bluediablo Member

then it that case, consider me not a christian.
    my beleif in God came from inner experinces, same with my freind. (some say me and my freind are wacko.)

3. bluediablo

bluediablo Member

am not sure if i understand what your saying, ''Why light a lamp to hide it in a closet?'' what does this mean?

also, who/what is the Authority of the Spirit?

4. bluediablo

bluediablo Member

also may i please remind everyone that the point of this thread is to share our beleifs, not question people about they do or not beleive in.

lets stay on-topic?

''i may not agree with what you say, but i will defend your right to say it'' - or something like that :p

5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

The authority of the spirit? The books were chosen over the course of many years by the Roman Catholic Church, specifically at the Council of Carthage in the late fourth century. Now the Catholic Church would say that since it is the ultimate authority on Christ's teachings, and the Magisterium is in fact guided by the Holy Spirit, then essentially from a Catholic perspective yes - no matter what the human motives were for selecting certain books is irrelevent, because ultimatly the Holy Spirit guided the process. However, if you are not a Catholic, the rationality of believing in the legitamacy of the Bible decreases dramatically.

1.) If you are a non-Catholic Christian, then as a rule of thumb you do not believe in the authority of the Church. If the Church has no authority, then one could never know how legitimate the bible was, and therfore there is little reason to put faith in it, and little reason to be a Christian.

2.) You are not a Christian at all, and so probably have no reason whatsoever to believe in the Holy Spirit, since the very concept of a Trinity is only believed because of the New Testament and further by early teachings of the Catholic Church.

I'm more or less an atheist myself... but I really don't see how these claims that the bible has been 'corrupted' holds any water. Their exists third generation copies, so any corruption and change to the New Testament would have had to occur in a fairly brief period of time. Concordantly, if we don't know what the original writing of the New Testament said, how can we possibly make a rational claim that it has since been corrupted? All we can say is "Well, we really don't know." Either way, as we can all agree, it all comes down to faith, and maybe faith isn't always such a bad thing.

6. bluediablo

bluediablo Member

i beleiv the bible was corrupted for the church to gain power and to controll. i have no proof for this, nor do i entend on giving proof, it's just my opinion.

7. Ukr-Cdn

Ukr-Cdn Striving towards holiness

I am Catholic. By "authority of the spirit" I meant, basically what you said about the Magisterium. I believe that the canon (although the texts were for sure written as occasional literature (specific community at a specific time) they reveal theological truth. The spirit guided those who were compiling the canon were inspired by the holy spirit just as the writers (possibly unknowingly) were when writing their various gospel/sermons, letters, idealized histories...

I really am amused that Protestants claim sola scriptura...

8. Ukr-Cdn

Luke 8:16--Jesus speaks metaphoically of faith as the light of a lamp. He says that you should not hide it, but let it light the world. My purpose with this was that if we are bale to dialogue (not debate or anything) and learn from eachother it will be a good thing.

By authority of the spirit, I mean that, as mcfuddy said, the spirit guided the process of canonization. I realise, however, that you speak of a texual corruption rather than a canonical corruption.

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Ukr: Wow, I assumed you were a Protestant, as it's quite unusual to see a Catholic preaching his faith in an open, and somewhat hostile forum. Catholicism (as well as Anglican to a lesser degree) is the only Christian religion I hold a healthy respect for. People who say "all christians r st00pid lulz!!" have never read Thomas Aquinas or Dun Scotus. I have no desire to debate with the vincibly ignorant.

It is humorous that a great many atheists put themselves on an intellectual pedastool above the religious simply because they deny the existence of God, but when you get right down to it, they sound just like the very people they hold contempt for. /rant

10. bluediablo

bluediablo Member

guys, please, lets stay on topic.

11. Ukr-Cdn

Sorry, I am not trying to question what you believe, but understand each other.

For example, you seem to believe that Jesus was then the Son of God (in at least some sense). What sort of implications does this then carry. For 2000 years the four canonical gospels, Paul's letters and the rest of the 27 NT books has been the basis for Christian Christology. If these then should not be considered the only authoritative texts then what does this mean for your Christology? Can Jesus be an adoptive Son of God? If the God of the NT different than the Gos of the OT (a la Marcion).

Just interested.

12. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

I understand that the original manuscript for Moby Dick was lost at sea. Herman Melville rewrote it from memory.

Only he would know what the differences were.

Only Jesus knows what Jesus said.

I'm betting you could write it on a 3x5 card. It was a message so simple, before brainy people inflated it into the monstrosity it is today. All these books people drag around like some ball and chain of penance...what has it done for them that they could not do for themselves?

Belief is something the mind has attempted to give life to, that's been dead for a long time.

Direct perception is the mind translating a spiritual awareness in real time. The words have a living presence behind them. They can interact. They have a power printed words do not.

In a highly developed soul, it can be said to be the voice of God.

The amount of belief lingering in such a person will taint the message accordingly. Some people get a little peak of the divine and just go crazy. The mind is not yet mature enough to understand what happened, and belief will drive from that moment forward. Belief can kill at this level. But we all pass through it on the way forward.

The way forward will show you that belief is not your friend, and reality is what you've made for yourself.

x

13. famewalk

famewalk Banned

Belief is the state of desiring a marriage. In the undiscussed faith for life, leap of faith for being within the world, there was no love yet to consider is my view.:cool:

14. eyeagainsteye

eyeagainsteye Member

I read the thread, but wanted to go back and comment on the original post.

I believe in Jehovah God, our creator, supreme being of the universe and I also believe in Jesus Christ, the son of god, the first in creation, master worker and also the holy spirit as God's active force.
    Jehovah sent Jesus to earth to do his will and provide a ransom for the perfect life that Adam gave up. I also believe in no idol worship, no trinity and no hellfire. I also belive in the greatest commandment that came out Jesus mouth, which is to love your God, Jehovah with your whole heart, whole soul, whole strength and and whole mind and also I also believe in the 2nd greatest commandment which is to love your neighbor as yourself:)

15. Ukr-Cdn

eyeagainsteye, Something that has begun to ich at my brain about something you said (and from what other have said that I think believe similarly to you). Do you worship Jesus Christ along with worshiping Jehovah (YHWH)?

16. eyeagainsteye

eyeagainsteye Member

I worship Jehovah above all..and the way to him is through his son, Jesus Christ.

17. Ukr-Cdn

I am just wondering. If Jehovah alone is to be worshiped, then how is Matt 8:1-3 reconciled. Or is it okay to worship Jesus, just as long as Jehovah is worshiped more?

18. dormouse

dormouse Member

i guess i don't have religious beliefs. i do not believe in deities. to me deities look like the cultural mass ego of any given human society projected onto screen of The Mystery of The Supreme Whatever. i do have some "God" concepts which are similar to String Theory but i can't say i believe in them as a kind of ultimate Truth. IMO it is presumptuous in the extreme to believe you know what "God" is, much less how "God" thinks, feels and behaves. after all, we humans are merely a species of barely evolved primates milling around on a tiny dirt ball spinning in the incomprehensible vastness of one of countless universes.