What have you read or heard in the media?

Discussion in 'Personal Development' started by Bilby, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Have you ever read anything or heard something in the media that gave you a new outlook on life. For me it was some years ago on Alistair Cooke's Letter From America.This was a 15 minute weekly radio broadcast commissioned by the BBC and broadcast around the English speaking world. It lasted several decades.
    Anyway, one broadcast he pointed out not to judge someone outside their historical context. Abraham Lincoln for instance had slaves, but is was the done thing for the time and he treated them quite well.
    I have a reprint of Mrs .Beeton's Household Management. Her writing had flawless spelling, punctuation and grammar.By today's standards her writing would be considered antisemitic and racist. Also rather plain in style. But she was someone of her time.

2. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Listening to radio and tv helped me to develop my skills in various languages. Also listening to interviews or reading articles by accomplished people who have excelled in their professions was a good education for me. Same would go for good critical reviews of books, biographies and musical works.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You have any proof of this?

4. Bilby

I was only quoting Alistair Cooke. I can see it is a controversial issue. Recorded history is riddled with factual errors.
    10 Fascinating Facts About Abraham Lincoln and Slavery
    Quote,
    "In 1842, Lincoln married Mary Todd. Her family in Kentucky enslaved Black men and women."
    What ever the case, I still stand by what Alistair Cooke said, not to judge people outside their historical context. An individual's values are a result of upbringing, peer pressure and the general mood of society.Most if these values we accept, but a few we reject. Up to the age of 28 I believed in nationalism. Everyone did in those days. It was a few more years that anti-nationalism was part of the left wing paradigm.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

So Lincoln married a woman who's family owned slaves, thus Lincoln owned slaves...

Sounds legit...

6. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

Never heard of him before...........search yt/ect/ect.

Interesting.....enough orginal stuff to find too.

Mzzls

7. Bilby

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

All I have read/heard in the media (MSM anyway) is BS meant to steer ppl down certain paths!

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

media drowns everything in drama that would otherwise be fun and interesting.

technology and nature are real. humans are full of crap.

consideration being morality and the only evil being the lack of it, is the outlook on life i was born with.
    that parents and other influences came close to robbing me of in my childhood,
    but fortunately never quite did.

media, is, as they say, for entertainment purposes only.

it is good when it broadens someone's outlook.

too often, with its emphasis on drama, it does just the opposite.

and of course it is the for profit motive that drives that unfortunate influence.

why would anyone ever even think of killing themselves, if they weren't blinded by human drama,
    from all the wondrous diversity of an impartial universe?

art is a paticipation that is in us all, though each of us have different ways we might be better able to express it,
    the mistake is making it a spectator sport, convincing people it is only for experts to create, and the rest of us to just watch.
    art is the very essence, the sole distinction to the extent there is any, of sapience from sentience.

i'm not condeming the concept. but feel it urgent and pertinent to point out it needs viewed with the cautious awareness that accuracy is seldom if ever its objective.

11. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Media only reports crap to keep people misled and controlled.........

12. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

i got more from dr demento and saturday night live than any other media outlet in my life - also rodney on the roq, and monty python, the goodies, comedy, comedy, comedy is the best... but after that punk rock until all the punks went through prison mentality and became aryans.

we thought that the cambridge research that faked media outrage for the trump team was bad but the next wave of artificial intelligence based misinformation could very well ruin everybody and make education obsolete because people will no longer have any litmus for truth, but that's a different topic

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  13. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

out of curiousity do you watch fox news? because that's a total typical fox watcher sentiment

scratcho likes this.
  14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I called it the home service.
    Radio 2 was the light program.
    Radio 3, the third program.
    Radio 1, followed some years later.

I lived with the home service and remember 'Johnny's jaunt', a light hearted travelogue by Jonny Morris. Not to mention Saturday night theater.
    My late mother would not allow a television in the house, she called them 'lunatics lanterns', that destroyed the art of imagination.
    I was allowed the third program for opera, but for other music, I was told to stop being lazy and play the piano.
    I remember being told, "Go and play op25, no11, you may get it right one day...... I never did.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I read that drinking a pint of beer shortens your life by 9 minutes.
    According to my calculations, I died sometime in 1944.

scratcho likes this.
  16. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member