what festivals are cool this year ?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by TracyM, Apr 4, 2007.

1. TracyM

TracyM Member

I havent been to a festival ever and wondered which ones are good if I like dance music very technological music with good dj's

I just broke up with my boyfrienmd and we were going to go to a festival with his friends this year but now I am a bit stuck as my friends do not even think about them kind of things and prefer the idea of just going to places like Notting hill carnival but I dont enjoy that.

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Beautiful Days is always a good bet. For dance, you might like to try Glade or Global Gathering. I'm going to Eastern Haze which looks really cool and has dance, drum and bass and psytrance stages, and Glastonbury of course....

3. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

What kind of music does BD have, Sal?

4. Peace-Phoenix

Quite varied, but the mainstay is probably punk, folk, folk-punk, reggae and old school rock as well as some more obscure world acts. They also have a dance tent where you'll find, not surprisingly, dance, trance, drum n' bass and all the usual suspects....

5. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

oh BD sounds fab...cant go tho :(

6. lithium

lithium frogboy

Yeah I tend to get a bit annoyed that so many of the acts are in some way folk-fusion; punk-folk, ska-folk, rock-folk, techno-folk, dub-folk, funk-folk, folk-folk, you name it, they will have fiddly reel-playing violinists tacked on!:rolleyes: I'm being ungenerous there, and there are loads of exceptions. There was actually some really great stuff going on in the dance tent the last couple of times I've been.

There's not much techno at the Big Green Gathering, but I'd say that's one of my favourite little festivals, and a festival is much more than its music anyway:)

7. TracyM

TracyM Member

Where is beautiful days held, and what should I expect if I went there. Is it a big festival with hundreds of thousands of people or really small but good, its obviously good otherwise you wouldnt recommend it

PS I like the sort of music that seems to go on for ages and ages with the same beat and just varies a little bit and then the dj does something and you kind of wake out of a dream you were having. If you know what I mean I get really into my own thoughts when I dance and listen to music

Is it a good idea to take drugs for the first time at your first festival?

8. lithium

lithium frogboy

It's near Exeter and has a capacity of 10,000 people, pretty tiny and intimate by festival standards.

9. tomplus

tomplus Member

cool, sounds like the sort of dance music i like too... i'd say minimal techno fits that description best, its great for mentally spiralling round n round, getting lost in the repetition :)

btw what drugs are you talking about?

10. Peace-Phoenix

Yes, I can't recommend it highly enough. Actually, in all seriousness, it does depend on who you're with and how comfortable you feel. I wouldn't recommend a first trip at a huge festival where you might get lost and paranoid. You should know your surroundings first. Taking them at Beautiful Days, which is a small site where everyone is pretty friendly, would be an ideal location. But do make sure you're with people you trust and can look after you just in case. That goes for pills, acid, mushrooms anything like that. If you mean weed, then really any festival with anyone is the perfect place....

11. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

we have people going to most of these festivals and your welcome to hook up with the group thats going on this board ,your too late for glastonbury unless yourve pre-registered or fancy working there .

Generally I work festivals this means it doesnt cost me anything to go if your over 18 you could do this too
    for dance music glade is supposed to be very good Ive had tickets for it every year but never been able to go may steward it this year .
    Then there is summer celebration which is early in the year (may) but last time was a bit like watching a small version of woodstock as they lost money , but a very nice event anyway .

beautiful days is a nice festival but there isnt much to do except the music .

The big green gathering is my favourite event no big stages just solar powered stuff in tents , the entire site (for 20,000 people ) is solar or wind powered .
    its basically the green hippy areas of glastonbury having a festival on its own lots of talks workshops and green stuff .
    its the biggest ecological event in the uk possibly europe and happens in chedder in august

if you use msn a lot of us talk on that