What Does 'Foutre' Mean in French?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Jimbee68, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Very importance reason why I don't put this directly in the French section. More on that later.

What exactly does 'Foutre' mean in French? And how is it used?

It is apparently a French swearword. But I don't know if it is mild or strong. FWIW a French dictionary says most Francophones use 'ficher' instead now. I don't know what ficher means either.

It is also derived from the Latin 'futuere' meaning to have sex with. But it may not mean to have sex with, which has me even more confused (what on earth does it mean?).

Oh, and owing to the fact it may be an indelicate word, I don't put it in the French section. I put it in the general section, where it doesn't mean a thing, in English at least.

:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

ZenKarma likes this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Best Way To Get An Honest Answer To Your Question......IS......Make A Post In The "French"

Section Of "Hip".......And Say " FotureTo All You Frogs"... :D .....Should Get An Instant Response...... :D

Cheers Glen.

ZenKarma likes this.
  3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

according to google: (reflexive, vulgar) to fuck off, to jerk off, to wank.

ZenKarma likes this.
  4. canuck9999

canuck9999 Member Lifetime Supporter

Simply put, "Vas te faire foutre" = "Go fuck yourself"

ZenKarma likes this.
  5. lbushwalker

lbushwalker Members

Literally it means go get done but usually it is followed by a verb which clarifies it's meaning and intensity.
    Foutre mois la paix simply means leave me the fuck alone or in another sense, just fuck off!

6. Skop's

Skop's Very old member, but young

In italian is "fottiti" (fuck yourself)
    The verb is the same: foutre - fottere (spanish: joder - portuguese: foder)

ZenKarma likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

As usual, it's just easier to raise your middle finger. Also universal.

Amerijuanican likes this.
  8. BeatrixPothead

BeatrixPothead Members

Exactly, it has two meanings: one vulgar, the other not. It means "to fuck" and "to do," respectively.

It's used in many ways, mostly in the first sense. It's a transitive verb, but the fucking is usually reflexive - you are told to do it to yourself.

9. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

It's interesting how it's the sware words we learn first. If you are learning French you might want to get an unabridged French dictionary. I have one in Spanish .

10. kuriiroobi

kuriiroobi Members

There is this song of Stromae (the Belgian musician) who sings “allez vous faire”…(foutre) that helps me always remember what the word means… I consider it as a swearword, but I’ve heard a lot of people saying “je m’en fous” which is the same verb, isn’t it? Is that also considered as colloquial language? And I’ve also heard of “Je m’en fiche” as well, meaning the same as “je m’en fous”, but is “s’en ficher” considered as less colloquial and could you say that to a French that you don’t know? Or what would be more polite than these expressions when you want to say “I don’t care”?