What does being British mean to you?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by unfocusedanakin, May 22, 2018.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

Thats a cool way of explaining it.. my ball ache learing was "There" and Where....English language is mad!

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There/Their got me too, actually maybe thats the explanation she gave was for that word. if it is in regards to a person it is "their" that makes more sense. lol
    The Deutsch translation to "where" is "woher" so I guess i was 75% of the way there on that one.

3. Mine was when to use/omit the/a/an

Irminsul likes this.
  4. Also, Oxford comma

Yay or nay

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

lol, I don't get it. I use the comma too much. I try to write like I speak, and that means I break my sentences up sometimes, and yes I put a comma in front of "and" cause nobody tells me what to do. :p
    But seriously, sometimes you need a comma before "and" I feel.

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

You can go TO the shop and buy eggs but get home and find you already have some then you have TOO many eggs.

Not to do with a person being involved. I'm trying to think how I'd explain a rule for it and can't. I can think of endless example sentences though.

7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Definitely yay.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I've written a novel and people's conflicting opinions about correct use of commas and semi colons has been really confusing for me

9. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Being British means you dont have to use punctuation or spelling cos we invented this shit its ours and we can do it exactly how we like !

morrow likes this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

People who insist on not using punctuation (which already existed before the english language btw :p) are just asking to be ignored

11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Mallyboppa. That's what being British means to me.

McFuddy, morrow and Mallyboppa like this.
  12. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

But Noooo you cant resist

13. Wobblybobbly56

Wobblybobbly56 Members

I’ve given this some thought, recently, and the truth is, I really don’t know what people who feel British, or English, actually feel. I don’t feel British, although, technically, I am. I just don’t have any understanding of the concept of nationality or nationhood, or belonging to a particular place in that way. It’s just random chance, anyway..
    t

Ged likes this.
  14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I agree. I've never really felt English or British. Always felt a bit embarrassed about it actually. National self-interest is one of the scourges of the Earth. Not that I'm a globalist in the NWO sense. It just seems so petty.

Wobblybobbly56 likes this.
  15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I also feel like that. No sense of belonging identified with my country of birth. Probably not even of my planet. If we discovered aliens, I doubt I would feel patriotic to Earth. It's all one big thing, isn't it.

16. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Scientists and astronauts get this. They transcend national boundaries. And most intelligence agencies probably think the Governments they work for are composed of cretinous morons.

17. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

When the aliens invade and I declare martial law, traitors like you will be in the first wave of arrests.

Earth for Earthlings

Make Humanity Great Again

E.T. GO HOME

Never too late to start spitballing propaganda ideas

beachbum86 likes this.
  18. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

I'm American, and to me being British means you can practically travel to a different country by merely driving ten miles, because they can't even agree on how to talk. Americans comprehend that kind of readiness to fight over what is talking and merely incoherent noises. If you ask me, it explains why they are infamous for their cooking, because too many cooks spoil the pot.

19. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Chicken tika Massalla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wooleeheron likes this.