What does being British mean to you?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by unfocusedanakin, May 22, 2018.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

In reality, most British people are much the same as those from most western countries.
    It is the media ant television programs that paint a very false picture of how we live and interact. Many people fro the US find it difficult to believe that our home is only 7 miles from Westminster. The picture is not a carnival day, people really do own and ride their horses 7 days a week in this area.

octagon-developments-property-wimbledon-village-london--1920x900.jpg .

mysticblu21 and McFuddy like this.
  2. Kaiju

Kaiju Members

Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

morrow, Si69, GLENGLEN and 4 others like this.
  3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I don't do any of this

4. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

It means I generally get poor customer service in other countries who automatically dislike me based on false brutish presumptions

Only joking
    Only in france

Kaiju likes this.
  5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I never really felt very British

It's okay

6. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

7. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I take it Bucks Fizz is british slang for Deep Purple and Black Sabbath :p Otherwise i don't get Mallys list!

9. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

One of the best things about being born and brought up in the UK is the english language. No doubt it's good to be born anywhere in Europe, but then you probably have to learn English as a second language if you want to stay tuned into the leading edge of culture, which really IMo come these days from across the Atlantic. Of course, as a Brit, one speaks the original version of the language too, so in a way it's the best of both worlds.
    English literature is (I include American writers in this) probably the greatest in the world - OK a few Russian and French novelists, the odd Italian, occaisonal German - but this is the country the produced Shakespeare, Milton, Dickens, Tolkien and a very long and illustrious list of others.

Kaiju and GLENGLEN like this.
  11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

English Lit was great but in retrospect suffers from the "Great White Dead Man" syndrome. World literature has probably produced the most exciting work for some time now.

Being British endows a great deal of freedom and liberty but we are both respected and curiously mocked abroad.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  12. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

Means I know how to make a proper cup of tea.

13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

All property is theft

14. Eh I don't know if I would say that's the best thing. We all have to learn English anyway, and being born anywhere else in Europe just means we know at least one language more :p

Mallyboppa likes this.
  15. BlackBillBlake

I s it worthwhile for a Brit to learn another European language unless you plan to go and live elsewhere than Britain? I just don't know. My own language skills are pretty paltry (other than in English of course). Still, I do admire the level of proficiency in English some of the Euro folks on here have.

McFuddy likes this.
  16. Asmodean

Some brits would benefit greatly from learning french or spanish.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  17. BlackBillBlake

I do know a bit of French - but I never use it as these days I don't really travel. I think that's the thing - if you use a language that's good. To try to learn a language just for the sake of it might be a bit of a waste of time given the huge number of more useful things you might be doing with your time.

18. Asmodean

Fidel Castro apparently learned Esperanto :p

BlackBillBlake likes this.
  19. morrow

morrow Visitor

im learning spanish.. and its easier now than when i was at school...

Irminsul likes this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

that's good to hear because I'd like to learn a couple more languages.

You know the hardest words I ever had to learn were to/too. it took me until i was mid 20s before I asked my girl to please help me with this.
    And her answer was so simple. So simple I can't even remember it to type rofl. but it was something like when it's in regards doing something with a person, it has to o's. "such and such, did this TOO, but if it is not in regards to a person, then it is one O. Now that's probably inaccurate, but it was something like that lol. and it was so simple there after.