What do you miss from your youth?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by granny_longhair, Apr 18, 2010.

1. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

What I really miss most is the physical ability to do certain things. Physically, I can't lift things or carry things like I used to. I can't walk as far. I can't go without sleep. I can't hear or see or smell as well as I could. My sense of balance is not as good (this is why old people fall and break bones). I have arthritis in my knees and some days they ache.

I grew up in the 50's, and what I miss from that time is the sense of safety we felt. In some ways it was a false safety, but as children we thought nothing of riding our bikes downtown or playing out in the woods all day. Everyone knew us and watched out for us.

I miss the manners and respect people had for things.

I miss our iconic figures ... Walt Disney, Ricky Nelson, Captain Kangaroo, The Lone Ranger, Elvis, Dale Evans, Hayley Mills, Annette, President Kennedy, and lots of others. It can make me cry now just to think of those names.

But more than anything, I miss my parents. I would give everything I have ever gained just to spend one day with them again.

Ok, you old codgers ... what you miss about your younger days?

2. Wuji

Wuji Member

The way everything was massive, so anything could be a potential adventure. Now everything is small and it takes a lot more to get me excited about things.

3. Wond'ringAloud

Wond'ringAloud Member

Like you Granny, physical ability is something I miss. I get aches and pains but I'm damned if I'll let them beat me. I miss the friendliness of people, the neighbourhood community where I grew up, no-one seems to have time for others anymore and there's less acceptance. Now people think it fine to comment on someones appearance or how they live their life and sod their feelings. Yeah, life used to be less complicated back in the day.

I also miss my late husband.

4. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

I also grew up in the fifties. Neighbourhoods have changed an awful lot since then. In our neighbourhood which was five square blocks, everybody basically knew everyone else. We had 8 corner stores and one pharmacy and a bakery:all within walking distance. Every house had a front porch, we did all our socializing and playing out in the front yard . Our back yards were where we had our gardens. Sunday was truly a day of rest. Everyone would get dressed in their Sunday best and go promenading and socializing with their neighbours. It's kinda funny but there were a couple of people who kept to themselves: and as young kids we all had weird stories to tell about them. There was one elderly woman who we swore was a witch. LOL. It's a good thing that I live in a small little country town now: it's not quite the same but it's a lot better than the big city.

Wond'ringAloud: did you happen to grow up on Coronation Street? LOL :D

PAX

5. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I miss John Lennon, Jerry Garcia, and Walter Cronkite.

6. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Not a thing. I appreciate my youth. This question is code for what do you find unsatisfactory about your life. Creepy maudlin.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

The low cost LSD.. :)

Piobaire likes this.
  8. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

Missing my parents means I'm unsatisfied with my life?

That's not exactly coherent logic.

9. knottygrl

knottygrl Member

not having any responsibilities.

10. bubbler211

bubbler211 Member

real quick like one the main things i miss from my youth are
    1 having to weigh it every time i cop some good herb back then it was consider to be an insult if you wanted to weight it
    2 going to the movies with only 1 dollar and i could get a drink and popcorn with it he he
    3 going out in the deep woods and firing 1 up
    4 after i got a quick shower sitting on the looking for the foxy ladies strolling by
    5 having a veggie garden next to the house
    i could go on and on but enough for right now

11. tanasi

tanasi Member

Like granny said ,manners and respect that people shared. Seems like now everyone wants to teach you something,whether they are learned or not.

The parties we had on the river bank.

oh yea,hot pants i thought those short oufits were soooo hot

when purple was a color not a symbol

real smiles,even when your broke.

12. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

What is it a symbol of? I think I'm missing something.

Pard71 likes this.
  13. thedope

Those who mourn are comforted, those who seek truth are satisfied and those who are comforted in such a way have no need to mourn. I have loved ones who have died of body but are no less known to me and as much as ever could be. The container is not the life, the life animates the container. All of your life is contained by you.

14. Sweetleaf63

Sweetleaf63 Senior Member

having no worries..

15. Wond'ringAloud

Wond'ringAloud Member

Pax-Man: It was very much like Coronation Street, except we didn't whine as much...I don't think lol.

16. Shale

Shale ~

Well granny and I are contemporaries - I grew up in the '50s as well. And, so we are both feeling the same ravages of time.
    I may be in better physical shape than any time in my life, because I actually exercise now.

But no denying it, I live with pain quite often, from the lower back that goes out occasionally to the tendenitis, bursitis, bad knees, neuropathy in the feet and other pains that say there is a malfunction in the machine. So, I miss the time I could eat any fattening food without getting fat and didn't exercise because just doing activities of daily living were more active.

Of course Shale has to let you know that I miss the forceful orgasms that I could feel in my gut as a young man, and the ability to do pounding fucks. :D
    My childhood was in North St. Louis, a rundown neighborhood - but who knew?

My Block - 1817 N. 18th Street, St. Louis - 1954
    [​IMG]

I guess I miss that innocence and sense of exploring as my boundaries expanded when I was old enuf to cross the street. I used to walk downtown (must have been 20 blocks) walked along the tracks in the rail yards and almost walked to Illinois over the Eads Bridge but didn't have the nickel toll. I was about 12 when we moved to the 'burbs and then I biked everywhere.

I miss the summers in Mississippi with my grandparents on a farm and swimming trips in the clear unpolluted rivers with my cousins. Eating watermelon on the lawn (then hosing down), or hand cranked homemade ice cream.

My Cousins, Lincoln County, Mississippi - 1958
    [​IMG]

I too miss the innocence of the time. We would steal Playboy magazine and think it was really taboo, yet they only showed womens' naked breasts. Boys would fight but did not come to school with guns and kill a bunch of ppl or stomp someone to death when they were down. What happened?

Not to say that it was totally innocent. We had racism even in St. Louis county (black family moved into our 'burb and were burned out). We had simplistic, Archie Bunker type prejudices in our lives (my dad would "Jew somebody down" to get a bargain).

We were a sex negative culture. I grew up in that with the normal curiosity, which was not adequately addressed. But that is part of history - we rebelled and did a counter-culture movement.

17. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

Yes, racism was everywhere, just more or less. I would say the difference between then and now is that institutionalized racism has, for the most part, disappeared. The problem is that a lot of it has simply gone underground. We still see it almost daily. But I don't think there's any denying that it's much better than it was.

And nice photos, by the way :)

Bulgakov likes this.
  18. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I miss being able to pig out without getting fat.

I miss being invited to play a game of baseball, basketball, etc.

And with all due respect to the lovely ladies in and around my age group, I miss having sex with young women!

19. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

But older women are better in bed, don't you know? ... :p

20. thedope

Older women is what I miss from my youth.