What do you find the purpose of the bible to be?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by bourne1978, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't understand why Sitchin's work comes u der scrutiny, well I do because I know it's a push back on the truth but even language experts say he was clearly the most accurate person in regards to understanding Sumerian and you can read up on the results on the internet yourself.

In terms of "mythology" they had no opinion, but they said he knew what he was reading.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Like all holy books, the intent of its authors is to establish their own foundation of culture and society that they can lead. People are very prescriptive and like to follow a leader of some kind. Writers of religious texts write fables and fantasies about characters and tell them as if they are truth. These tall tales often contain origin stories that tell the reader how certain things came into existence, and why nature behaves the way it does. For example, the fiction writers of Ancient Greece told all their followers that lightning came down from the sky by Zeus when he was in a bad mood. Little did they know that it was buildup of the electronic activity of water particles in clouds. At that time they didn't know what really caused lightning, so the fiction writers made up the Gods of Greece.

The bible, is just another religious text just like anything else. The writers of the bible used it to create the church and establish law and order because people have a fear of the unknown. They preyed upon people's fear of the unknown by pretending to have all the answers. They were wise not to bolster themselves as gods, because they were mere mortals like the people they were leading. So they did it to create an omnipresent entity that is supposedly more powerful than they are, and the stories can be passed down for generations.

I'm an atheist. But in a way I'm a weird kind of atheist who appreciates living in a predominantly Christian society. Without some degree of Christianity, leftist degeneracy will take over like it did in the Soviet Union, and dictatorships will form. I also don't expect all the left wing atheists to defend themselves or the rest of the societies they run against Islamic movements to spread a religion of complete and total submission to God. They have a tendency of putting people like that up on the pedestal.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Aliens made the Anunnaki aliens. :p there's a much much older species of aliens that have been making other alien species but theorized they no longer exist in our dimension.

I literally don't have an opinion on that, sounds like space jizz to me. :p:sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:

But I don't think the Anunnaki ever said they were the first astral beings, but they were said to create others such as the Igigi (most likely the nephelim in the old testament) they were basically carbon copies of the Anunnaki themselves with minor differences but enough to notice they weren't the same species. The Anunnaki learned their mistake with the Igigi, as the Igigi were very powerful themselves. So when the Anunnaki created humans, they knew they had to stunt us in a way where our characteristics were to blindly follow orders. They did this by trial and error. They would not give us their full DNA so they used Apes to bridge the gap and then stripped us of 97% of our DNA and stunted our genome so that we could never basically rise up in rebellion which was being seen by humans. Once their operations were thwarted by the deluge, then you start to see "modern" but "ancient" religion making a big rise is civilisations. All of a sudden every culture around the world basically believed in a very similar pattern... That the creator God was very vengeful and if we didn't do as he said, he could pulverise our cities and civilisation with fire and brimstone. He offered reward for good behaviour and blind faith and death to anyone who wanted none of it. The bible reflects this in every which way. Fear and reward, two elements that drive our slave characteristic.

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

We require a wall in the sky, to keep them out.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You haven't read about the city of Jericho, have you?

Another one of histories "mythology" that actually existed.

7. wooleeheron

We'll build the wall and then invent anti-gravity once we're safe.

8. The word of God is alive and exerts power

9. wooleeheron

The self-evident truth has a life and will of its own. Set your words free and see if they come back to you. Life is for the living and our words can conjure heaven or hell.

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Metaphors and allegories aren't factual, but they can express truths that are difficult to convey prosaically.

Or rightist degeneracy might take over and pervert Christianity, as it did in Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, Franco's Spain, Pinochet's Chile, etc. Nativism is un-Christian,
    Submission to Ultimate Meaning is some Christians' idea of freedom--from bondage to materialism, sensual appetites, power hunger, status seeking and other forms of idolatry. (Jas 1:1 ); ( 2 Pet 1:1 ), (Jude 1:1 ); (Rev 1:1 ); (Philippians 2:5-8).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Asmodean likes this.
  11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

like most things in life, purpose has little or nothing to do with their existence.

(and how is "submission to ultimate meaning" not itself "idolatry")

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Why is it then that in modern times the right is the ones who cling most to god? Evangelicals did not vote for Obama they thought he was the anti-Christ and a Muslim. Currently they will say Trump is sent from god. Going back decades it's Republicans who campaign on "Christian values" and claim Demarcates are either Atheist or Islamic. A Democratic candiate will say he is Christian that is true but it's less of an issue to those voters.

You know what the USSR was also big on? Atheism. Religion is an evil tool and the states needs the people to think rationally. Does that sound like the view you posted here? I think so.

You are really misuing what is "left" and "right" in world politics. It's not just us Americans.

13. Purpose is different than function. Purpose implies someone gave us the Bible in order to create some effect. There were too many authors of the Bible for me to believe they had one shared purpose. And I don't believe God gave us the Bible. I doubt the church had one explicit purpose either. A lot of times people will say it was to control others, but I bet even the Pope and his cardinals actually believed in the thing. More likely the purpose actually was to reveal "the truth" to mankind. Even if everyone only half-assed believes in the thing. At its most extreme, people try desperately to convince themselves of the truth of it, but obviously no one has knowledge of its truth.

The function of the Bible is many fold. It has instigated wars; it has instigated peace. It has served as fuel for fires, and been used to steady uneven tables. What its true effects are will always remain a mystery.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Stalin had a religious upbringing and even went to seminary school. I get the impression that he adopted an entitled sense of retribution in his regime. I don't think that would happen with an atheist leadership that had a more organic upbringing.

Surely there are other factors that need to be examined here.

It's bordering on unintelligible to suggest that a group of people who don't believe in God hoist up another group of people due to their strict submission to the idea they don't believe in.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I suppose Mao's Confucian upbringing which he rebelled against explains his mass murders too? The current second or third generation atheist rulers in China are less ruthless, but certainly willing to crush movements like the Falun gong if they give the regime any back talk.
    I don't see left wing atheists putting Islam on a pedestal. Some may defend Islam against Islamophobes like Six who are prone to making blanket bigoted criticisms of Muslims.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think the culture is different enough (or perhaps this is my excuse for saying I'm not educated enough on it) to say their atheism is probably not an apples to apples comparison.

Or maybe we can attribute their ruthless tyranny to their Cat and Dog diets.

It seems like 6-eyed shaman is suggesting that a society without a religious framework cannot hold up many of the values of such a society. As if morality and law all go out the window, which is a view I've more or less heard before but it is odd coming from a self-identified atheist.

I assume he's talking about people in Europe but I'd be interested in elaboration from him.

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Seems to me he may be saying something even more controversial: that Christianity (not religion in general), is a bulwark against godless communism and Islam, and that atheism leads to "leftist degeneracy" that weakens resistance to such movements. I doubt that's because he thinks Christianity is a religion of "peace, love and understanding". Maybe he'll clarify this.

Earlier this evening, I had dinner with a group of atheists who seem closer to what I consider Christian values (peace, love and understanding) than the right-wing self-proclaimed Christians in MAGA hats. I wouldn't call them radical leftists, but they aren't Republicans.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    parua likes this.
  18. wooleeheron

Christianity is widely embraced as the most capitalistic of all the world's leading religions, and also the most modern in general.

19. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

It can give one direction, give someone something to study, is a very famous book that could be good for a read, and I'm sure there's other purposes

20. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think it could have been condensed into a book of just the parables for simple enjoyment.

parua likes this.