What do you do when you’re feeling discouraged?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Deidre, Feb 26, 2018.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't think i get discouraged very often. if things are hard, i just kind of roll with it and keep going. and if things are impossible, i just roll with it and go in a different direction.

when i do get discouraged, a night of heavy drinking and insulting perverts on hipforums usually helps.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't really "do" anything when I feel discouraged. I just keep on doing whatever I was doing, because there normally isn't a choice to do anything else.

But to clear my head and to keep the panic from setting in--I usually take a long walk or run, go to the gym, or write something.

Deidre and Eric! like this.
  3. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

In other words, you never feel defeated? lol I think that your story is helpful right now, because it seems like you just kept going.

That seems to be what others are telling me. My tendency is sometimes to quit...come back later to whatever it is that I let defeat me...then, quit again. I really want to stop those patterns from repeating.

4. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

On somewhat of a similar note, I tend to sometimes make the mistake of viewing other people's choices as easy. Like everyone seems more capable of making better decisions, and everything magically works out for them. I'm very happy in my life, don't get me wrong, but sometimes, I sit on a fence for a long time, not making any decision. I know it's wrong to see others' lives like that, but it's where my mindset goes when I get in these moods.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just gotta battle away at it. Before long I'll realise whether or not it's even worth it. But small steps, small goals. Once you achieve small things that keep you interested and enjoyed, those things will give you education and learning to progress to your next achievement, rather than telling yourself what you want to aspire to do or be, and then never getting there because it was unrealistic.

Monkey Boy likes this.
  6. broony

broony Banned

Do what you love, then money will follow. I am where I should be. Hard to accept.

I just lost my job on Valentines Day in a private off work conversation with my sexist boss. She paid me for 3 days I didn't work, said I can use her as a reference, thanks a lot, I really give a shit about this now. Her fear of (what if), sexism, and me upsetting the system got me kicked nicely.. It's the first time ive ever lost a job where everyone wanted me there except the employees. I worked in a nursing home.

I have undercover employees that I still talk with. The whole situation is filled with bullshit.

'Its best to get rid of the wolf, before he upsets the rest of the sheep, because the one he chooses will now be against us cause he choose her over me'

I was sad and angry for the next week, still am. I went to a fellow employee house today to tell her cause I not seen her in 2 weeks.

Point is life is shit, life is great. Could be worse, could be better. That doesn't matter.

As long as you are doing the right thing when no one is watching and focus on yourself. Good will come.

Part of me believes now, it was meant to be.

I got bigger fish to fry.

7. broony

broony Banned

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Keeping engrossed in what I am doing is a big help, but like everyone I feel down at times. Luckily Jane puts up with me and without her support things could have been very different. My late father being a chartered engineer and the chief electrical engineer of the UK government was a major influence. Things were so different then and few people actually believe that I drove a tube train when I was 9 and was wiring experimental office lighting when I was 7. A weekend away was normally spent in a power station.

Never give up on what you are doing and when you think that their is room for improvement, make it happen. You will be surprised at the results. I hate the way that the human race is almost redundant in today's society and I never use a calculator or computers in my design work. When I am shopping with Jane, I know the exact value of the shopping long before she reaches the checkout and that attitude is why my brain is active 24/7. Wandering around in a daze and relying on bar codes just turns you into a zombie. I therefore assume that Zombies are very bored and depressed. LOL.

I often wish that I had been around 100 years earlier, working with Brunel and queen Victoria would have been such fun. But then you would have missed all my puns and light hearted approach to life in the 21st century.

You may be interested in the complexity of theater film projection. Nothing like most people assume and no time to get bored at work. Sadly, today much of the film industry has gone digital and the skills are slowly being lost.

Deidre and GLENGLEN like this.
  9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I never feel discouraged I see any setback as just another an opportunity. I’ve always been the consummate optimist. I can’t explain why but it has served me well.

Deidre likes this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Recognizable ;)

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You seemed to imply in your first post you are talking about being discouraged in terms of career paths

And I forget how old you are

Job satisfaction, you want to be someone, get respect, rewarded for your efforts, appreciated, acknowledged, change the world....all that shit, what a laugh

Its about the daily grind in the end, not even a job you necessarily like doing, but job that keeps you occupied is more important, becomes the most importnant thing

12. Asmodean

I for one have no trouble keeping myself occupied. It's always been like that.
    That's why I'm most happy in a job that enables me to support myself and my abundance of free time (compared to others). A 'parttime' job. Which ideally you don't hate being at either. I'm in that position last couple of years. Pure bliss!

Deidre likes this.
  13. Asmodean

Coincidence doesn't exist :p Just came across this quote: "Don't try to be a man of success, try to be a man of value".
    Might apply on women too :D ;)

Deidre likes this.
  14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

That is one of the best comments that I have ever heard. I often worked on my projects long after the pay stopped and rarely gave it a second thought (Jane did though). Likewise, I imagine that you will still be interested in and visiting your dairy, long after you finish working there. Hopefully, being a family business, as you reach retirement, they will let you gradually reduce your hours ans treat you the way that all companies should.
    Although she worked for the government, my late mother worked for another 15 years after her official retirement at 60, reducing her hours to 16 for the last few years. I always think that is was a large part of the reason that she lived happily for 98 years.

15. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Happy music, whisky & exercise.....just not all at once!!

GLENGLEN, Asmodean and Deidre like this.
  16. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I wish I could be you just for one week :blush:

17. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Lol

What do you mean “coincidence doesn’t exist?”

And I like that quote. Easy to forget that we have value regardless of our accomplishments. That’s important to remember.

18. Asmodean

Because i didn't look it up. I just ran into it in the newspaper just after participating in this thread. Some article about a guy who started a new business. Like it was ment to be!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

look in the direction of things that are not discouraging. sometimes i find them in books, sometimes in pictures, sometimes in making pictures, or finding them on the net.

Moonglow181 likes this.
  20. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter