What Do You Buy?

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by WonderlostVW73, Mar 19, 2016.

1. WonderlostVW73

WonderlostVW73 Midwest Librarian

I've got a couple friends pushing me to sell artwork and crafts but I'm hesitant to get myself all wrapped up in such a big project without looking before I leap.

What kind of things would you buy from a crafter or artist?

Would you buy a customized live plant arrangement?

What kinds of clothing items do you think would sell?

4 people like this.
  2. SpaceSissy

SpaceSissy Expert Knob Polisher

I would buy really different pottery from a potter (Probably phallic shaped things to put on my dresser).

I would love some venus flytaps.

Dresses for men with hairy legs might be big!

3. morrow

morrow Visitor

I would look at what is selling fast and plenty on auction sites.
    Plants and flowers too seasonal and expensive to keep up with.
    But, they do say one man's crap, is another man's treasure.. So maybe recycling older stuff!

4. WonderlostVW73

I've done some of that stuff. I was wondering if there's anything I could do that 40 people aren't all ready doing. Something new. I said plants because that's what I'm fooling with now, trying to learn bonsai and pot gardening.
    Honey, I'd be worried about shoes.. I hope you don't have a size 14 foot. :)

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

I buy food. That's pretty much it.

6. WonderlostVW73

I'm a good cook and so is my old man.. We've talked about getting a food truck. I wanna call it Around the World in a Food Truck and serve things from different countries like India, Mexico, Italy and Germany. I worked a food truck before and they are so fun.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

1. Depends on what they do well, and what their artistic vision is like.
    What do you do well? What do you enjoy enough to make barely minimum?
    What sales outlets would you use? Online? Wholesale? Craft shows/festivals?

I wouldn't buy a live plant arrangement. But I already garden. Those who don't, will buy plants.

What sells depends on the audience. See my questions above.
    What I know is saturating etsy is elfin/forest fairy/raver clothing. So that might work better face to face, or as custom order.
    Being a bit different is a plus, to me.
    I bought a festival belt. It's canvas, not leather, and that was the main selling point.
    Well, the snaps are weak, and often one will pop open. Not good!
    I message the "maker" who turns out to be a designer having them made in Nepal and Thailand, and the snaps are all about what is cheapest.
    No legitimate apology for a quality issue, no offer to swap it out, or anything.

1 person likes this.
  8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Im contemplating the same - I make 3d art out of natural material (moss, dried flowers, sticks, etc) - i have just been browsing Etsy to get a good feel of how many other people out there are making similar items and what a fair price would be. I plan to do some research at a craft fair soon. I will probably try to sell at a craft fair first as the materials i use are delicate and i would worry about shipping.

As a buyer i would be much more likely to buy arts and crafts from someone in person rather than online - i enjoy meeting the artist and seeing the art in person before buying.

9. AlwaysJusChillin

AlwaysJusChillin Banned

I love aboriginal dot paintings. The natives in Australia do it as a tradition.