What do you all think about nanobots

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by RYEAIRBUDDHA, Jan 24, 2005.

1. RYEAIRBUDDHA

RYEAIRBUDDHA Newbie

I hear that they can melt, discombobble & and rearrange.
    Are you with nanobots or not?
    Nanobots are very small. They all work off of a program.
    They work together to create and distroy things.
    Could it be shiva comming out through these nanobots?

2. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

at the moment they're tiny little geometric shepes like spheres, cubes and cylinders. I think it'll be a while before they do any good or harm to anyone.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

I think we're probably at least 20 years away from mature nanotechnology. Once we reach that point, they'll be able to do everything from cleaning up the environment, to repairing our body's cells, to improving artificial intelligence. They'll also be able to destroy the environment, destroy our body's cells, and kill any life they encounter.

Definitely a mixed blessing, much like nuclear power. Overall, I am cautiously optimistic about their development.

4. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

I think its more than 20, when you consider that the current smallest transistors are around 100nm. They are not going to get much smaller as tunelling effects are becomming too large. Intel and AMD have abandoned the GHz race and are about to stop work on smaller feature sizes. Both companies are working on dual core processors from now on. It looks like Moores law will stop at 90nm (60nm for RAM). Before we can begin work on nanomachines with an ability to calculate and process an entirely new kind of computer needs to be designed. That at the very least can cope with quantum effects or more likely uses quantum effects. Theres a big difference between nanomaching/nanostructures and nanomachines.

5. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

6. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

I wouldn't count on Moore's Law ending any time in the near future. You are correct that there is a lower limit to the size of transistors (which we'll reach near 2018-2019), but there are plenty of other ways to improve computer speed. For one thing, we can switch from silicon-based circuitry to organic circuitry. Also, we have a third dimension to work with which has hardly been touched by the computer industry at this point. Rather than flat, two-dimensional computer chips, we can expand them into three-dimensional computer cubes.

8. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

9. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

We are near the end of Moores law for normal transistors, thats fairly simple quantum mech to prove that. Bearing mind that the 90nm Athlon cores arent the smallest, I believe RAM is now made with 63nm feature sizes. From memory 10nm is the quantum electronical boundary with classical electronics. Unless a better insulting material can be found to put the electrons in a deeper well I guess the traditional transistor may have found its natural barrier.
    Bio-electonics is always talked about but never seems to do anything. The trouble is that traditional electronics isnt working on a much bigger scale now anyway. I read an interesting article on how to get 30-40nm feature sizes out with UV lith, deep UV I think but still well beating the lambda/2 rule.
    Optical computing is a distinct possibility, though componenet size again is the issue. Obviously bus speeds would potentially be immense, electrons are hardly sluggish on the cm scale. Fibers are very large compared to copper wires. A single mode fibre (the thinnest kind) is about 9micron thick, a tree truck to the microelectronics industry. Something will come along, it always does, not convinced we're talking about it in this forum yet though.
    Incidentally isnt a nanoparticle bomb, putting loads of asbestos boards in with explosive?

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Some time ago I read Engines of Creation, the Coming Era of Nanotechnology, by Eric Drexler. Its 15 years old now and I seem to have lost my copy but most reviewers at Amazon give it a high rating.

11. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I wonder... do nanites byte?

12. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

13. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

what are you smoking?

and in the real world they are nothing more then a dream

14. RYEAIRBUDDHA

RYEAIRBUDDHA Newbie

I like the eyes...!!! I do think they bite and they do nibble.

15. RYEAIRBUDDHA

RYEAIRBUDDHA Newbie

ps I do think that nanobots are comming, I dont think it is only a dream in the real world, pss what is the real world anyways.

Plus I am smoking some jah kind!!!!
    peace and nanobots

16. LordInsanity

LordInsanity Member

Nanite tech like all tech we develop has there good uses..and there Military purposes....the potienal for good is tremendous..for example healing the body and stuff like that