What Do Most Great Musicians Have In Common?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Motion, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

When you look at musicians like a Jimi Hendrix with the electric guitar and Charlie Parker with the saxophone. What are some things you think these types of musicians had in common that helped them to play their instruments in ways that was different from others?

DrRainbow and The NY Haus like this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm not great, but I will say this (in so far as that, at least for the last semester, I'm studying music): practice. I think that what makes a person really stand apart is the amount of time they are willing to devote to their instrument/s.

Manw3Brains likes this.
  3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It is said that it takes 10.000 hours practice to master an instrument.

Manw3Brains, The NY Haus and Orison like this.
  4. deleted

deleted Visitor

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Like how many years at that?
    I picked up the air guitar naturally ;D

The NY Haus and Ged like this.
  6. Motion

Motion Senior Member

I agree with practice. But another thing I think some of these musicians have in common is curiosity. I think many innovators are very curious people. They like to experiment and go beyond the traditional way of doing something. I bet Jimi Hendrix was the type of kid who liked to take things a part to see what was inside them(curiosity). This mindset probably carried over into how he dealt with his guitar.

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The truly skilled in anything don't really need to taught they teach themselves. For example Hendrix did that with guitar and the guy fixing your computer probably built his own when he was 8. You either got it or you don't. And when you do go the innovation just flows.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

or, there's apprenticeships.. you know, for the other 99%

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Dedication, study, innovation.

I think what separates those being an extraordinary talent as a musician is the accelerated pace at which they use these qualities to master their instrument.

Even with Hendrix, he played some backing guitar and with Little Richard before forming his own band.

It's not as if he just picked up the guitar and suddenly turned out Voodoo Child.

Jude96 likes this.
  10. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Check this out.

11. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Hard work and curiosity.

C/S,
    Rev J

Jude96 and Orison like this.
  12. deleted

deleted Visitor

mental illness..

13. storch

storch banned

Yeah, mental illness. Not over-the-edge mental illness, but edge-of-the-precipice mental illness. It's a tricky place to be.

Orison likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

An instrument?

15. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Here's something interesting on blues musician Robert Johnson. What they seem to be suggesting here is the possibility that Johnson had something physical happen to him such as an head injury and this may have enhanced his music ability.

16. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Much of this is about coming up with ideas. Maybe creative music people are able to come up with good ideas that they apply to their instruments and music? Something I've heard about creativity is that some people's creativity can become stimulated when doing some type of physical work. I've noticed how my mind works when I'm doing something like mowing the lawn or taking a long walk. It's like doing something physical loosens up your mind some.

This explains how exercise can stimulate your creativity:

Exercise might be more than good for your brain — it could make you more creative as well

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

making love to your mothers mind..

storch likes this.
  18. storch

storch banned

My god, I've never thought about it, but now that you've stated it, and as much as I hate to admit it, that's exactly it. I gotta go get my fuckin' guitar. I'm suddenly inspired . . . and somewhat ashamed. But that's never stopped me before.

Orison likes this.
  19. Jude96

Jude96 Members

Patience. When you’re learning something like guitar and find a passion for it takes a lot of time and patience to really learn how to play. So if anything, particularly in the beginning when you’re not great yet, you have to be patient and persistent in order to be able to follow through with the passion to play. (Alliteration aside)

GypsyHolly83 likes this.