what did you eat today and why?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, Oct 6, 2006.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

okay this is a thread where we can talk about our nutritional choices for the day, and why we decided to eat those particular items on that day. if you want a critique, you can ask for one, but mostly this is just for show and tell

2. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

Oh God I dont think I'll post here...

Oh ok I had a cesar salad for dinner.

That's all I'm saying.

3. The Deer Hunter

The Deer Hunter Member

i pigged out on some nachos because i love nachos.

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

breakfast: half a zucch from the garden sauteed in olive oil and garlic with 3 eggs sunny up cooked on top. and a cup micro-roast, organic coffee served up with walnut milk, what can i say i like my coffee in the morning

i always start the day with 3 eggs. they're fresh local free ranged, happy eggs. i try not to let the yolk oxidize and try to keep them runnyish to preserve the lecithin
    zucch because it's yummy and i just plucked it from the garden earlier this week. needs to get eaten

lunch: from my garden, a big salad with leafy lettuce, mesclun mix, tomatoes, pansies and calendulas. i like flowers on my food, they're sooooooo pretty! dressing: olive oil, punkin seed butter and the juice from a lemon, mixed with some fresh lemon tyme, parsley, and cilantro. oh and a clove of crushed garlic from galiano island garlic freak: this guy grows the most amazing garlic! his garlic is totally magical. salad is topped off with leftover steak that i bbq'd the other night. i think it was imported from australia, cant remember for sure, but it vibed out better than the other meat at the store. does anyone else do that with their food? buy the stuff that feels like it has the most energy? anyways...

snack at work, i had a buttertart. ugh. have got to stop eating the stuff at work. i've been trying to drink herbal teas when i'm feeling snackish.

and then to end off my day, a bowl of rice noodels (way too high on the glycemic index, but a carby rich meal at the end of the day makes me sleepy) topped with a nutmilk/nutritional yeast/garlic sauce

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

today:

breakfast: coffee with walnut milk again because i love it, and i'm still addicted to the caffeine. :( some lacey red/green kale from the garden again sauteed with my eggs in olive oil

lunchish: wild pacific salmon, cause it's not farmed, it's a good source of omegas, and i eat the bones (canned), so it's good for calcium too, oh and protein, duh. and a green pepper~locally grown on my island, in a greenhouse. hothouse veggies have fewer chemicals than conventionally grown, and are more affordable and more available than organic. so it's a compromise that i make sometimes. lazy today, so i just ate the pepper like an apple.

dinner @ work: i'm going to put together leftover chicken with fresh local brussel sprouts and some other random veggie from the fridge (parsnips maybe?). i still nuke my food at work ::cringe:: which is going to destroy enzymes, and vites. ::sigh:: if i was a little more organized, i'd heat up my food at home on the stove and store it in an insulated container to keep it hot until i'm ready to eat it, but in the real world that's just not gonna happen.

eta snackish after work: gala apple and a pomegranite. seems fitting for a full moon night. wow, it's sooo bright out tonight

6. warmhandedcanadian

whoa nimh that's healthy!

and your decriptions are wonderful. :)

We ordered a pizza.... bacon and pepperoni... I even had PEPSI tonight aaghhhh.....

God. Keeping track of this may be good for me. ;)

7. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I ate fish and chips from Claim Jumpers , and I ate em because they sounded good.
    I also ate a kiwi, a mini baby bonabell gouda portion, a gala apple....thats all.Oh fruit cup mango papaya pinapple emmmmmmm

no veggies though

8. warmhandedcanadian

I had a banana at 3:00 pm.....

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

me too. i looked at the junk food at work, adn knew that i was going to be accountable for it if i ate any of it.

besides, i just started working out. i'm gonna get buff! hahahahhahahah

10. warmhandedcanadian

hottt...
    pics?

;)

I was supposed to be starting soccer.....

never happened :(

11. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I love nimh!!!

Except for the steak, I would eat everything you posted and be ohhh so happy.
    I wish I could've logged the past few weeks of what I've eaten.

Thursday I had ezekial sprouted raisen cereal with coconut milk, green apple, and almond slices for brunch, I think. An apple, some raw pistachios and seaweed for breakfast, and another apple and pistachios for snack and a handful of cacao.

Then I had a strawberry gelato and some coffee at a coffeehouse just up the street from us.

And for dinner I had wild canned salmon(also ate the bones) with salsa and blue corn chips. We slept a lot that day, after traveling 8 hours overnight on a train.

Friday I had homemade bread with housemade prickly pear jelly for breakfast. It was exciting eating bread I made for the first time.

Then I worked for a really long time and was starving and made a salad with romaine, mustard, avocado and an egg from the chickens we have.

For dinner(not wanting to eat anything we had in the house) I ordered chinese and had veggie fried rice and a little egg flower soup.

I also had lime aid, an apple and pistachios for a snack during the day.

Today I had 1/3 of an orange for breakfast, then lime aid(from the neighbor's tree). Then leftover chinese for lunch. There's no microwave here which is great but I was sadly addicted to microwaves and it scared me at first, but I'm glad... I ate it all cold. Broccoli with garlic sauce, fried rice, and eggflower soup.

For snack I had goji berries and toast, I needed a pick me up before walking to the store. And on the way to the store I went to the coffeeshop and had peach gelato and coffee.

Then for dinner I mixed wild rice with white rice(from the leftover delivery food), threw in a bit of the egg flower soup, with some pepper and sea salt. yumm.

12. Etherwind27

Etherwind27 Member

Today: Friday February 6, 2009

* 2 eggo waffles with syrup
    * Multi-vitamin pill
    * 2 slices of cheese pizza
    * 1 energy drink
    * 1 mountain dew
    * 1 Nature valley Oats & honey granola bar
    * 1 bag of M&m's

... I already know what you're going to say - I have food issues.

13. LucidOne

LucidOne Member

I woke up this morning and cooked some organic pasta in water that was involved in reverse osmosis. I sprinkled a bit of organic extra virgin olive oil on it and ate it.

I made the pasta for some pre workout carb intake. Its organic because its so much more healthier then unorganic, and thats what I care about. I used reverse osmosis water because it doesn't contain flouride, chlorine, heavy metals, and chemicals in it. I used organic (because its good for you) extra virgin (because its less processed and thus healthier) olive oil because it contains healthy fats in it. I didn't put sauce on it because organic pasta sauce is damn expensive and I eat alot of pasta.

After I work out I will have some raw milk (because it is so much better for you then pasteurized milk and is stupidly good for you...I just wish it came from a grass fed cow) with some hemp protein (good healthy source of protein) mixed in it for some post workout protein. Later I plan on juicing some organic tomatos, celery, cabbage, apples, and carrots and drink that, since juicing makes it easier for the body to absorb the nutrients.

Then at some point I will make some organic brown rice (good source of carbs), again cooked in reverse osmosis water. And then another round of raw milk and hemp protein.

As you can tell I watch what I eat lol.

14. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

I ate red grapes for breakfast becuase we didnt have much else. I always have to eat either raw fruit or cereal when Ive just woken, cant handle bread or anything

15. cozmo_g

cozmo_g Is Out Of This World

Awesome thread! I'm very interested in healthy nutrition and since I've begun making some positive changes in my diet I've seen some great results in my energy level, fitness and overall well-being. Here goes:

Breakfast (post-workout): Soy milk protein shake, two spoonfuls of chia seeds and a glass of organic vegetable juice.

Lunch: Wild salmon on 7-grain whole wheat toast with fresh pineapple.

Snack: Apple.

Dinner: Grilled Honey Dijon turkey tenderloin with a steamed southwestern vegetable blend.

Beverages for the day: Water, blueberry/pomegranate white tea, orange juice and of course the aforementioned vegetable juice with breakfast.

As to the 'why' i ate what I did, well the soy milk is a great alternative to dairy, the chia seed is an incredible source of energy, fiber, calcium and omega 3s and the vegetable juice has antioxidants and vitamins A & C. Wild salmon is a great source of lean protein, omega 3s for heart health and fish is good for the brain. Whole wheat toast is high in fiber. Pineapple is just plain yummy and just as good as carrots for the eyes. Turkey is another low fat source of protein and grilling drains even more fat from it; turkey also has selenium. The veggies are pretty easy to explain: corn, beans, onion, tomatoes are beneficial in many ways as they are all nutrient rich vegetables.

16. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

Breakfast

Papaya, banana, apple. Handful of almonds.

Went to the pool swam a shitload, jumper of the diving board for a solid hour and a half.

Lunch
    All Raw
    Chinese brocolie(its like rapini) (Its like a head of greens, with a very tasty and nutritious brocoli stock)
    One carrot. 12 cherry tomatoes, one whole avacado, portalini mushrooms choppped into slices, two cloved of garlic and some kimchi.

Sauce - Teaspoon of hemp oil, one capof unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, some thai chilli sauce all natural, mustard all natural and carraway seed. Its a BOMB sauce - it goes good on most any asian inspired dishes.

Then i put about three table spoons of brown rice and a small handfull of toasted pumpkin seeds.

After I eat this salad, I have as many almonds to satisfy me for protein.

Snack: Lychee's, two large strawberries, raw chocolate and two handfuls of blueberries.

Dinner

Seaweed with raw asparagus, three tbsps of brown rice, tomatoe, grated sweet potatoe. All raw.

I put a ranch sauce on their, with salt and olive oil.

Snack: Apple and some papaya and raw chocolate.

Note: the raw chocolate is a treat. It will be gone by monday.

I do eat wild pacific salmon but I make sure its raw in a sushi. Last time I had about two thirds of a medium size fillet, in a sushi with some chinese brocoli on the side.

This is my normal scheduel...I have been raw for about three weeks now. I hardly crave meet, I eat a variety of nuts and frutis. Take a b12 supplment. I cant ever go back to what it was before. I ate an EGG, two days ago and my farts smelled so horrible and my digestion slowed dramatically. I have gained muscle and lost fat. The only bad thing is that my body craves water because it is getting rid of chemicals like fucking mad. I dont fart anymore and its because things are passing through my intestines really well without rotting and causing ammonious gases to swell.

I still eat cookies and sweets, but I just SPIT them out when I finished getting the flavour of them...it really works...i mean they arent for nutrition right, they wernt created with the digestive system in mind and the health implications it has, so why bring it to that level spit that shit out.

17. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

One of the most beautiful things about life is that it balances itself out. Right now I hardly crave foods that are unhealthy and would simply panic without my raw foods. In fact, tastebuds do a 100 % change over time and it happens alot quicker than I thought. Now its easy to be healthy haha. Who would have thought. For example, I used to love fresh chees, bread and cerials. Now I cant stand the smell of chesse or the flavor, the texture of bread and the flavour is nothing like what it was and cerials are just to fucking sweet and nasty textured now...its really fuking awesome. Chicken, beef, and pork all have a nasty flavour to them as well...I ate these things my whole life and am surrounded by people who eat it regularly..my family. They are slowly coming over, with enough perserverance.

18. Stabby

Stabby Member

That's very true. I can easily go without junk food now that I've taken the plunge and stuck to my guns for a few months. Also very nice food choices :D

Yesterday I had:

2 apples
    1 apple/mango fruit cup
    Shreddies cereal with vanilla rice milk
    3 carrots and some sweet potato
    Vegetable cocktail
    Salami sandwich with mustard, cheese tomato and a lettuce
    Salad with lettuce, red pepper, cucumber and thousand island dressing
    Bbq chicken with bbq zuccini and cauliflower
    A peach, some cantaloupe and some strawberries
    +my usual supplements including fish oil, greens powder, vitamin d, calcium/magnesium and vitamin E

19. MaxPatlick

MaxPatlick Member

2 bites of left over pizza from yesterday because it was all I had.

I also drank a rather large cup of black coffee with a metric assload of sugar (not to be confused with the imperial assload of sugar)

20. Stabby

Stabby Member

Oh Stabby from June of this year, how disappointing your diet was. Much have you learned.