What are your thoughts on Fiona Apple?

Discussion in 'Alternative and Indie Music' started by mirandia, Jun 9, 2006.

1. mirandia

mirandia Member

I really like Fiona Apple. I think she has a unique style and her lyrics are meaningfull. I think perhaps in the 90's she was a little on the strange side but her cd Extraordinary Machine is one of my fav's now. I have When the pawn and tidal but her newest cd strikes me the most. As far as favorite songs I'd have to say I love Parting Gift. If anyone else likes Fiona tell me your favorite song.

2. Politics are awesome

Politics are awesome Politics suck

the only one i remember is "O, Sailor." Its obviously a good album but i findd it to be kind of boring. :p

3. Skin Is  My!

Skin Is My! Member

It's chick music, and sometimes I can listen to chick music...But only to an extent. She's alright, and I like listening to her music, but I wouldn't go out to buy her albums.

She was really hot when she first came.

Although...I have to admit, outside of her music she needs to keep her mouth shut.

4. Politics are awesome

Most musicians who open their mouths away from singing should. :p Except Oasis, they bring laughs to the world when they open their mouths :sunglasse

5. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

havent given the new one a listen too, but her older stuff was aight

6. Skin Is  My!

Skin Is My! Member

That's so true. Like being a country band and bashing on Bush in front of a redneck fan base.

Usually, I prefer they say nothing about politics or controversial issues, it just causes problems.

I remember Fiona Apple saying something along the line of, "it sucks I have to live in a world that sucks like this."

7. Politics are awesome

ACtually, that one's pretty awesome. :D Let's not forgot John Lennon, "We're promoting peace by living in a bed for a week." :D That's one of the dumbest things anyone's ever said. :D. And that's why Paul and George are the coolest. :H

8. plume7reaction

plume7reaction Member

I think she's pretty cool. I like that song by her... I can't remember what it's called but I remember it had a line about...an encore near the end. I also kind of like "Pale September".

9. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

the first cd she had was actually kinda jammin.....my wife likes it so I've heard it a few times..... and plus she was really fuckin hot in the video for criminal way back when

10. Broken Rainbow

Broken Rainbow Member

I think her voice is amazing. i havent listened to much, but what i have listened to, i've loved. The best song i've heard her sing was a bonus track in the nightmare before chrismas album called "sally's song". it's really amazing.

11. TigerLily77

TigerLily77 Member

I liked her music in the past because the lyrics were so deep. Right now, I am partial to her music because I think she is into this mainstream alternative that sounds like a combo of grundge and the Smiths.

Just my opinion. :)

12. Bad Metaphors

Bad Metaphors Member

I like Fiona. Her debut album ended up being a bit grating, but only because she was nineteen and the songs, while they were delightfully piano-driven and moody, was a little on the lyrically naive side--a penchant that hasn't completely disappeared and I think gets her the "chick rock" designation a lot. However, to her credit, a lot of guys--and some women too--seem to not be able to identify with female lyricists, especially since Fiona has a tendency to be a bit twisted and histrionic at times. However, I've embraced these tendencies in her work. "Extraordinary Machine," with its weird stylistic detours and thudding, resonating pianos, was one of the best albums of '06. Her voice is a clear, well-utlized instrument. "Parting gift" is a beautiful song, and I have a fondess too for "Not About Love."

And the video for "Criminal" stands out strongly in my MTV childhood...that depressing seventies-decorated house and all of the creepy angles...I don't know why, but genius as hell.

13. be your own WALTER

be your own WALTER Member

Pete Doherty is no exception, Politics are awesome :):). Everytime he opens his mouth, it brings laughs. Especially because half of the time you cannot understand a word he is saying, and he is very Sigur Rós in the sense that he creates his own words and syllables. :)

Not to stray from the subject of Fiona Apple - I think she is quite an amazing and influential artist. In my opinion, she should be placed up on a pedestal with Julie Doiron, Ani Difranco, Cherie Pyne, Amy Millan and Emily Haines.

be your own WALTER

14. sped

sped Member

Wow, I havent listened to Fiona Apple in around a year! Thanks for reminding me, Id totally forgot. Used to love him is a fantasmic song!