What are your favorite shops?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lace_and_feet, May 5, 2007.

1. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

It could be for anything...

I love these two used book shops in the area, Phoenix Books and Leon's. They're both packed to the ceilings and have that wonderful musky old book smell. For clothing I love Ross (when I'm on a budget) and Nordstrom (when I'm not), and for miscellanous everything you just can't beat Goodwill. I've gotten some of my best pieces of clothing and an awesome suitcase from there over the years.

2. Miss_Beatle

Miss_Beatle Beatlemaniac

This little store downtown called "shake down street". Its basically remodeled after a 60s store, and has everything 60s in it. It's wonderful.

3. illumincoalitional

illumincoalitional Member

Their is a hippy coffee shop that plays free music in this little town I go to, sometimes I just jam on their stage if I find the free time.

Also Rite Aid, yeah, they have the cheap alcohol.

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

There's a chain of stores called Green Earth, I like going in there... I've an independant yarn shop near me I find myself wandering into once in a while, when in need of some fancy yarns...

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't really have any favorites.... but I'll say 'Beers of the World'.

6. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

7. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Ehh....ahh....ehh....hmm....

I honestly can't think of one...

Maybe that one big Kroger that has a bunch of ethnic food in North Little Rock.

8. 121

121 Senior Member

It's got to be the local butchers for me. I <3 throwing meat on my BBQ :drool:

9. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

Kohls

Bauer Wine and Spirits - mmmmmbeer

10. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

I don't have a favorite store per say... I like independent book shops, I also like kohl's, i also like stores where you can buy good beer, I like cute little head shops with lots of extra things to buy, I like small, family owned, homemade clothing stores, I like small stores at sell natural foods and other products, I like small music stores....

11. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

mine, even though it's still in the planning stage. :)

my friend zak and i went out to beers of the world last week and he got lost. we finally found the place just as they were closing the door and locking up! we ended up going to the old toad for beer instead and had a couple of duvels.

i have a lot of friends with small businesses, and i have to admit that i do favor their stores. but it's because they're really good stores. aaron and the others at aaron's alley have been amazingly supportive of my business goals, and i buy clothes there on the rare occaisions i shop new. in ithaca, the jabberwock on the commons is similar. arden has also been very supportive, and her kids and mine played together while i was living near there. in woodstock, dharmaware is a cool shop for clothing, though pricey. the store i worked in woodstock was called in limbo. but honestly i think i like aaron's and the jabberwock better.

for groceries, i love my co-op, the abundance cooperative market, which is right around the corner from me. but the green star in ithaca is a model co-op, and really damn wonderful. i also frequently shop for groceries and incense at an indian grocery in the south wedge called india house. they're the only place within walking distance where i can find fresh green chilies in the dead of winter.

12. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Really? I refuse to shop there coz the clothes are such shit quality, they lose their shape after like two washes, yuck.

Anyway, my favourite shops are Waterstone's for books, and FatFace, Monsoon, Greenwich Village and Next for clothes. I also love Oxfam's little secondhand shops, good for books AND clothes.

13. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

the sally ann.

14. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

Moon Dance in VA BCH

15. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I love the food co-op I work at. The atmosphere is great and the food is even better.

For clothing, I like the chain of thrift stores in CA called Out of the Closet. They do free HIV testing and the profits go to AIDS research :) I found LOTS of great pieces there :)

16. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I live in the states and there is nothing like that here. I'm still in ahhhh of all of H&M's 3 stories!
    In UK my favorite clothing shop is FatFace.

17. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I prefer Midas Muffler Shops.

18. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

They are all local places:

-Bullmoose music (About ten in Maine and one in NH)
    -Mexacali blues (like the dead song. As far as I know, there is only one, in Portland Maine. The owner travels around the world and finds shit and sells it in his shop. Cool!
    -Grannys burrito: one of a kind mexican place. If you are ever in Portland maine you MUST go.
    -Grittys pub: Microbrew and bar and dining out place. Good beer, pretty good food, nice atmosphere.
    -Bullfeenys: On the rare occasion I go out to drink, nice place.

My new favorite:
    Flatbread pizza: WOW. best pizza ever :).

portland is pretty cool.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

train store (scale model scratch building supplies and japanese narrow gauge), computer store (the kind that are run of, by and for, nerds on the cheep), book store (especialy second hand paperback buyback and resell for cheep), stationary/office supply store (that actually carry and stock at all times rapidograph, mars-stadler, and my super fine .03 or less, tipped felt pens, 80lb cardstock by the reem, and lots of fun and interesting fiddly bits there too), hardware store (tools, lumber, fiddly bits, garden and oddend building and imagineering supplies), art supply store (one that isn't overpriced but has lots of real useful graphix stuffs), yard sales, the oakie picknic (kind of like a combination auction house and infinite eternal yard sale, that's open three days a week here in town), electronics and second hand tecnology junk store (h.s.c., wackie willies and the like, maybe fry's though i haven't been to one of those yet), farmer's markets/flea markets/street fair/markets. mom and pop hippie restaurants and grocerie stores. food co-ops. gormet but cheep grocery store (trader joe's). the kind of toy stores that have leggo, and brio, and mechano, and maybe the occasional really detailed and lifelike plushie, but not totally rich bitch either. any store who'se magazene rack carries all or most of: model railroader, analog, mother earth news, byte, E (ecology), mother jones, asamov's, f&sf, science, nature, i.e.e.e. spectrum, mad, wired ... (and NOT poople, slime, newspeak, vaigue, constipoluting, economumubojumbo, juggs, cur and dribbler, ...).

=^^=
    .../\...