What a Drag it is Getting Old

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Shale, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Someone mentioned the upcoming Groundhog Day, which made me think of my partner Jim who was born on that date in Pennsylvania close to Punxsutawney.

At the time we met in 1973, Jim was 34 and I was 28 and over the next five years we explored much of the physical and spiritual world together.

Jim died in 1993 at the age of 54. Now I am 64 and dealing with getting old but it really hit home when I realized that Jim would have been 70 this Groundhog Day.

JIM HEWITT

February 2, 1939 to January 7, 1993

[​IMG]

2. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

sad and moving; hope ur okay, bud.

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Sadly those are our choices, die young or grow old. But at least we can mature while remaining spiritually young.

I'm 54 myself and in reasonably good health so it seems I've got a lot of years left, but you never know. Sometimes I look back and realize I'm lucky to have lived as long as I have. Cherish every day you live; one of them will be your last.

4. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

Peace to you Brother Shale , I bet you have some WONDERFUL memories , and stories to share about the two of you.
    You were very fortunate to have had that kind of a frienship , they are once in a lifetime !!!
    As for myself , I am very happy to have lived much longer than I thought I would , and wouldnt be young again unless I could have the wisdom that I have NOW at a young age.

5. goodvibes83

goodvibes83 Senior Member

you obviously never stoped loving/caring for him...no matter what religious/spiritual beliefs you hold some how, some way the two of you will meet again

peace be with you both

6. silverhippy

silverhippy Comfortably Numb

Time march's on my friend. We all get old. Nothing we can do about it. And yea you guy's are gunna hook up again.. Be well

Peace

7. Shale

Shale ~

Thanx for all the response.

Yes, Jim and I had a turbulent but very full five years together. Two trips to India, one of them overland thru Europe and the Middle East and two trips to Centro-America together, we were inseparable for most of those five years.

And, tho we were later separated we did talk on the phone before he died and expressed our love and said good bye. (He was in New Orleans, living with another guy named Jim, who with Myrt, an old friend of ours was with him when he died).

Actually, getting old is just the next trip of a very full life - and as others have here expressed, it has been a good trip, lots of experience.

Here is the only other pic I have of Jim, the one we took together in New Orleans, 1973.

[​IMG]

8. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Old Age-The curse of not dying.

9. erzebet1961

you two were a couple of hotties !!!!!

Love the pic !

10. Shale

Shale ~

Can you believe that ppl would see us together and think we were brothers? Maybe we were just that comfortable with each other and in the same space, but I don't think we really look related.

11. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Maybe alittle, but mostly I think you're right about the comfort thing.

12. erzebet1961

You two were blessed with that very special bond that so few actually find in this lifetime.