What’s needed to stop an American dictatorship?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Jun 11, 2020.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It would be very helpful if Republicans policed themselves and deiced to stand for American values. Right now it's very tribal. You have the flat out racists like the KKK supporting Trump and the rest of Republicans are so offended you would call Trump's policies racist they would rather stand with the KKK because "free speech" than admit the people who voted for Obama might be right. We just had D-Day. Let's remember why that was done.

One of my best friend's growing up was very Republican. I had no idea what that meant then but they did not act like they act now. You can like small government and low tax without going 100% into fascism. The problem is the party has had mildly fascist tendencies for a while. They have not really been a fan of majority rule voting for decades and they are very into the idea that man is an "alpha". This is also how Nazis feel. The free press and elections just allow people to lie. What the strong do is lead society and force the weak to submit with their logic and power. That is pretty much why Trump voters say they like him too. He's just too strong to worry about that whinny majority.

granite45 likes this.
  2. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

So the Dems started it, so it's okay? And you point to another problem. The federal judiciary is being packed at all levels by partisan hacks who will ultimately say what the law means.

3. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

That's been tried. We need a Senate that will convict!

soulcompromise likes this.
  4. wrat

wrat Member

so you dont like the source so that makes it invalid? the BPR link PROVES there were dead people on the roles in PA where there is smoke there is fire

"A lawsuit brought by forth by the watchdog group Judicial Watch is forcing Los Angeles County to excise an estimated 1.5 million inactive voters from its voter rolls, and the state of California must update its voter registration rules so it complies with federal law."
    OVER ONE MILLION ERRONEOUS RECORDS smoke=fire
    Election and voter fraud happen unfortunately
    and your link to the brennan center is a left wing liberal institute so..........

5. wrat

wrat Member

no its not illegal THAT makes it ok

6. erofant

erofant Members

The Repubs want to keep it because they want a republic - not a democracy. A republic is a representative form of government, where people are "elected" to represent the bulk of the populace. And THEY want to gerrymander and control who those "elected" senators and representatives are. It's ALL ABOUT POWER & CONTROL.

In a democracy, the people themselves control how laws are written and enforced, and the majority of the population sets the tone for government. This would not continue to favor the rich, the insiders & "well connected" types of people who are used to having EVERYTHING their way.

That's why the Repubs speak out so forcefully against eliminating the electoral college. They and their filthy rich benefactors wouldn't have all the say and control anymore.

7. wrat

wrat Member

Is the United States a Republic or a Democracy?

The United States is a Constitutional Federal Republic (a federation of states with a Representative Democracy). Despite a strong democratic tradition, the U.S. is not a “Direct Democracy“ (where people vote on laws directly*).

8. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

If it's not illegal that makes it legal, not necessarily okay.

9. wrat

wrat Member

OK

10. erofant

erofant Members

And that Judicial Watch is ultra conservative. So what does that mean??? It means that the conservatives want everything their way ……………… it doesn't mean it's correct. Why do conservatives act as though their ideas are the only correct or legal ones????

Ample headline-grabbing evidence of REPUBLICAN CORRUPTION was MUCK-MOUTH MOSCOW MITCH's refusal to even hold a Senate hearing for Merrick Garland as Obama's Supreme Court nominee. With a year left in Obama's Presidency, MOSCOW MITCH - for the first time in U.S. history - refused a Presidential Supreme Court nominee saying, "it should be the next president who gets to pick the Supreme Court nominee." Obama had EVERY LEGAL RIGHT to nominate whoever he wanted to nominate to the Supreme Court, and have that person go through the normal Congressional vetting and confirmation process.

It doesn't get any more CORRUPT, CROOKED, brazen and bold than that.

John1971 likes this.
  11. erofant

erofant Members

Today, more than 1250 former DOJ officials demand an investigation into "Attorney General" William Barr's involvement in the tear-gassing and violent removal of peaceful protesters so Rump could walk across to St. John's Church for a photo-op.

"Attorney General" …………… what a corrupt, puppet of a man Barr is. Barr's bias sticks out like a sore thumb for ALL to see. I can't wait to see him out and sued by multiple entities. BTW - I've had respect for other Republican AG's ……………………. but this guy BARR - is rotten to the core.

12. wrat

wrat Member

I love how you cut the quote master spin there

here I will finish it for you " is forcing Los Angeles County to excise an estimated 1.5 million inactive voters from its voter rolls, and the state of California must update its voter registration rules so it complies with federal law."

so complying with the law is BAD and MUST BE FORCED awesome

13. Yes, enough with the overly dramatic americans

John1971 and wrat like this.
  14. wrat

wrat Member

28 Million Mail-In Ballots Went Missing in Last Four Elections | RealClearPolitics

Mail-in vote fraud ‘more frequent’ than in-person voting, academics say

15. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I don't consider Trump to be a very bad president or tyrant, or that American democracy has degenerated to the level of dictatorship.

He does not have Jefferson's intellect or Lincoln's character , and seems to have a 'spoilt brat image ' that reduces his credibility as a leader, and which goes against him even when he makes good decisions. Perhaps due to a fawning audience around a young billionaire while growing, he may have confused a playboy image with universal acceptance, and was blinded from the reality around him. This has also happened to royal figures around the world as well.

I think it is usually those from the middle classes that make excellent quality leaders as they are more in tune with reality.

Deficiencies in behavioral conduct apart, I consider him an okay leader who has not made any strategic errors which might have wrecked the American republic.

I think by following due processes, deviations can be set right by course corrections. There are enough checks and balances in the American democratic system as well as having a superb media, judiciary and educated civil society to ensure reforms can be brought gradually instead of revolutionary changes with violence and chaos.

wrat likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

[​IMG]

wrat likes this.
  17. granite45

granite45 Supporters HipForums Supporter

Many of us consider Trump by far the most corrupt and malicious President America has had. I remember presidents back to Harry Truman and only Ronald Reagan and “W” come close. The current level of income inequality is an international disgrace and at a level that precludes any kind of social stability. Conflict of interest is not an academic concept but seems to be a requirement to be part of the Trump administration. America has already flunked one test of government with the covid pandemic. And in the environmental arena, the record on Climate change is ..a slow motion catastrophe. An OK leader, hardly.

erofant and etherea like this.
  18. granite45

granite45 Supporters HipForums Supporter

I hope so.

19. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

See, most leaders in a democracy go by opinion polls of the masses and endorse those decisions that would make them popular so as to play it safe.

But it is not the masses who should guide the leader but the leader who should guide the masses to where they should be, even if the decisions he make are unpopular.

It is not merit, but the appeal to popular decisions(even if it may be wrong) that brings in the votes that is neccessary for political victory, and this is the weakness of a democracy. Socrates was killed by a democratic decision.

Since the government is of the people, to a large extent, the quality of the government is actually determined by the quality of the people, as charecterised by their character and intellectual ability in understanding the rules and demands of proper administration. This is important to ensure that people will not be
    misled by showmanship and false personality.

I have earlier cited Jack Welch's certification of Mitt Romney's potential to be a quality President.

He is also the first (and so far only) senator in U.S. history to vote to convict a president of their own party .

20. Balbus

Balbus Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Wrat

There are dead people in any voter list - people have a habit of dying – the thing is that does not mean there is electoral fraud.

Those puff pieces you cited do not show there is fraud – while well researched academic reports show that actually the incidences of electoral fraud are very, very low.

I mean do you even read the things you quote?

an estimated 1.5 million inactive votersinactive – not used – that’s not proof of electoral fraud

erofant, granite45 and Tishomingo like this.